Scuba Diving - Vision Impaired

Sonnieb

Trying to obtain information for my boyfriend. He wants to scuba. He is legally blind - totally blind in one eye, but has some vision in the other eye.

He has taken an introductory dive lesson, and is currently taking the PADI to be a certified diver. When we go on a cruise where scuba is offered as an excursion, does someone else dive with the group? I'm not a water person (not even swimming), so I can't go with him. He can see the air gauge, but I'm concerned he will be focused on seeing what he can see, and not remember to check the gauge.

It sounds like he has the visual acuity necessary to dive. A major portion of the Open Water Course is instruction in monitoring one's air supply. So, it's unlikely that would be the issue you're anticipating.

Open water divers are always taught that they are to dive with a "buddy", that is to say another diver. On top of that any ship's excursion will have a Dive Master who leads the group. Neither the buddy or dive master is a replacement for watching out for oneself, but there are others diving in the group. Dive Masters typically frequently are checking every diver in the group's air supply.

Harris

Denver, CO

• 2 weeks later...