San Diego hotel help!!

miketeri

Need a room for one night on 10/15 (sat nite) leaving on 10/16 for a Mexican cruise. Would like to get a hotel close to the airport, seaport or waterfront area that is scenic and not supe expensive. Having a shuttle to and from (airport and cruiseport) would be ideal.

Any ideas for a 1st timer to the left coast? How about a Hotwire or Priceline suggestion as well.

My personal favorites:

- Lowes Coronado Bay Resort (favorite hotel) - a bit further from the airport though

- Omni - great view of the new San Diego Padres stadium

- W San Diego - new hotel

- San Diego Marriott Hotel & Marina, Marriott Gaslamp Quarter, Coronado Island Marriott

- Hyatt San Diego

Need a room for one night on 10/15 (sat nite) leaving on 10/16 for a Mexican cruise. Would like to get a hotel close to the airport, seaport or waterfront area that is scenic and not supe expensive. Having a shuttle to and from (airport and cruiseport) would be ideal.

Any ideas for a 1st timer to the left coast? How about a Hotwire or Priceline suggestion as well.

There is a Holiday Inn right across the street from the port - many cruise passengers stay there. Also a Best Western (Bayside, I think) a few blocks further on the edge of Little Italy. We stayed at Super 8 Bayside last January - it is a basic motel -nothing fancy but reasonable and it did have a shuttle to the airport and also the pier and the front desk was very helpful and accomodating. It is in the Little Italy section of San Diego and if you request a room with a view of the Bay you can see the ship from the outside corrider. They were remodeling when we were there so if they are still doing that and you stay there be sure to ask for a room on the side they are not working on. Our friends stayed at Days Inn - near the Airport - they also have a shuttle to the airport and cruise ship. The airport and port are fairly close together.

The Holiday Inn that is across the street from the Cruise terminal is:

Holiday Inn on the Bay

1355 N Harbor Dr

San Diego, CA 92101

(619) 232 3861

The other two are:

Holiday Inn Harbor View – (about 1 mile from the Cruise Terminal)

1617 1st Ave

San Diego, CA 92101

(619) 239-6171

Holiday Inn Bayside – (3.6 Miles from the Cruise terminal.)

4875 North Harbor Drive

San Diego, CA 92106

(619) 224-3621

I would first check out, La Pensione in Little Italy. Their website is http://www.lapensionehotel.com – the rate is about $80 per night plus taxes. It is near both the airport and cruise terminal. I am not sure if this hotel has a shuttle - but the cab fare from the airport to the hotel would be $10-15 and from the hotel to the cruise ship $5-10.

Tom

The Holiday Inn is across from the Port (300ft) and less than a mile from the airport. You might get a better deal but you cannot beat the convieniance and you are within a few blocks of of a lot of action. If you have the time you have to check out the Gas Lamp District. Easy walk.;)

This might help. I did a bid on Priceline back in late April for December 2 and got the Westin at Horton Plaza also. My bid was $84. It looks like the Hotel is about six blocks from the port. Make sure you check out "Biddingfortravel" if you are serious about bidding on Priceline. Tim

Norwegian Sky Alaska 05/03

Norwegian Star Hawaii 11/03

Royal Caribbean Splendor of the Seas Mediterrean 05/04

There are some good suggestions, but i am not having the best of luck either getting a good deal from various hotel web sites or bidding on Priceline.

I dont get into San Diego until 10pm (we are traveling from the East Coast so the body time will feel like 1 am) and while we have the all day Saturday to spend some time before our 5 PM departure, we are not looking for a "honeymoon suite" experience....just clean, comfortable and nice.

Any suggestions?

M in RI;)

Maybe you could be a bit more specific about what you consider a good deal and what kind of hotel you're looking for. You've been given recommendations for everything from Super 8 to Lowes. Which ones have you followed up on? Which ones did you rule out immediately as too low grade or too expensive?

There are some good suggestions, but i am not having the best of luck either getting a good deal from various hotel web sites or bidding on Priceline.

I dont get into San Diego until 10pm (we are traveling from the East Coast so the body time will feel like 1 am) and while we have the all day Saturday to spend some time before our 5 PM departure, we are not looking for a "honeymoon suite" experience....just clean, comfortable and nice.

Any suggestions?

M in RI;)

Try a nice warm bench at Balboa park which isnt too far from the terminal, all the suggestions given to you are perfect, youre not gona find anything better.

Read post number 4 from iamirish, thats the best you can do.

John F. -

I live in Old Town and the Holiday Inn Express is very nice - about 15 minutes from both the cruise terminal and airport. It was just recently renovated (I saw them putting in a lot of new mattresses). Within about 3 blocks (easy and safe walking) there is an Italian Restaurant (not a Pizza place); a South American Restaurant; a Cajon Restaurant; two Fish Restaurants and 4 Mexican Restaurants; and of course, a lot of shops. Old Town is the birthplace of California.

Tom

Walter, where did you get that price? I'm looking for 3 nights pre-cruise Oct 20-23. Currently reserved at La Pensionne in Little Italy for just a few dollars less.

Wennfred and Iamirish, are you familiar with that hotel? Thanks. Also, do you know the status of the US Grant? Has it re-opened yet?

Walter, where did you get that price? I'm looking for 3 nights pre-cruise Oct 20-23. Currently reserved at La Pensionne in Little Italy for just a few dollars less.

Wennfred and Iamirish, are you familiar with that hotel? Thanks. Also, do you know the status of the US Grant? Has it re-opened yet?

Hii,

I used priceline for the Westin. Of course you never know which hotel you will be assigned until you are locked into it. Still a great price for San Diego. Use biddingfortravel.com for more info on Priceline.

Good luck!

Walter

Hi everyone:

I would like to use this thread to find out if anyone has stayed or know anything about the Hampton Inn Sea World/Airport. This is the one at 3888 ***** St. We want to stay for one night prior to our Hawaii cruise. We want something not too far from some restaurants, etc. According to their ad they are within walking distance of Old Town. Of course walking distance might mean different things to different people. Please folks ,if you know anything about this location let us know.

Thanks,

JL

Hi Joal -- I did respond under your previous thread.

I would not recommend this hotel. You are right next to a freeway offramp and you have to walk several blocks and pass under the freeway to get to Old Town. I recommend looking for a hotel that's actually in Old Town if that's your desired area. You can also look for hotels in Little Italy, Gaslamp, or Downtown.

Thank you Caa. I did not see your reply in my previous thread. Anyway, we cancelled our reservation ,and booked at the Holiday Inn Express Old Town. It seems to be a good location close to restaurants etc., and they also provide shuttle to the pier.

Joal

Joal,

I am glad you cancelled your reservation. Since I live in Old Town - I decided to drive over to the hotel and check it out. While it is a nice looking hotel - "caa" is correct - it is just off the freeway (where Interstate 8 meets Interstate 5).

It would be a good mile walk to Old Town - the nearest Restaurant to it, is a Denny's.

I think you will enjoy the Holiday Inn Express in Old Town - nothing fancy but very nice and close to all.

Tom

Thanks Tom:

Yes, I think it was a good decision. We do not need anything fancy for one night. This hotel also offers a shuttle to the Zoo which will be very convenient. We will be getting into town about 9:45AM, (Coming from N.C.) and we want to spend some time at the Zoo. Went there many years ago when I was attending a meeting. Think San Diego is a very nice city. Thanks for checking out the Hampton Inn. We can not wait for our cruise to Hawaii.

Joal

Archived