Things to do for an 18 year old on the NCL Breakaway

Frank2797

Hi, I'm an 18 year old, soon to be college freshman at Suny Maritime. I'm going on the NCL tomorrow heard these cruises can be boring for people my age since we can't go to the teen club, but we're also not 21 and can't seem to have a place we're people our age are. I was just wondering if anyone had any insight into were it's best to meet people around my age at.

Haven't been on breakaway so I don't have specific suggestions for you, but you can do everything any other adult can do except for drink alcohol! If you are sailing with your parents, they can even sign a waiver allowing you to drink beer and wine. Go in understanding you are in control of your vacation and have to make/seek out your own fun and you should have a blast :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't cruised NCL yet, but I think Breakaway can't fail to entertain and impress someone in your shoes.

Aside from the Aqua park, and sports deck, there are numerous activities and venues that will offer myriad things to do, from Broadway revues to dance clubs to gourmet dining.

For an aspiring merchant mariner, getting to see how such a ship works should be ample entertainment as well and I'd recommend letting the crew know that you are headed to SUNY Maritime and seeing if you can meet with one of the junior Deck or Engineering Officers.

I wish I'd had the opportunity to speak with industry professionals before I started at Fort Schuyler so many years ago. While Breakaway isn't US-Flagged, it will operate much the same as an American merchant.

I'm not sure if MCL offers a behind the scenes tour, but that's another option too. Try to get a sense of how the ship operates and learn some of the terminology and you will be light years ahead of some of your classmates. Bonus if you can find out what a "cable" measures and how a "Leslie" valve works - to give you a couple of things to pursue in conversation. ;)

If all else fails, I can guarantee you that Breakaway will be more fun than your next cruise. (Insert evil grin). Enjoy the TSES!

Best of luck, both on the cruise and at SUNY Maritime College at Ft Schuyler. Drop me a note if you have questions about the Fort. I'd love to hear your impressions of the cruise as well - pondering NCL with my teens.

yeah get your parents to sign that waiver so you can have a few beers, just dont be stupid. if you're going with at least one other person your age, I would check out the bliss club (they dont card you or anything) or even H20 at night. As long as you look like an adult you should be fine. Have a few beers, check out the women and have a great time :D