Opinion Time Please Help

Cavecreektbear

Howdy..

Okay,

I am a single Mom of 2 young daughters..

I am going to take a cruise next summer... My girls will be 4 1/2 and 9 1/2 by then....

I am very tossed over 2 choices...

I LOVE NY, and there is a 5 night cruise on Carnival I can get for only $1500 for all 3 of us ($300 per night) and if we go on that one, I'd fly in 2 days early and see the NY sights and go to a Broadway play (lion king) with the gilrs, prior to the cruise.. The cruise goes to Canada, been to both destinations and could care less about Canada LOL

But the cruise is the vacation, the destination is just a bonus...

OR, there is an Alaska cruise for 7 nights all of us can go on for $2100 (also $300 per night).

I have always wanted to do an Alaska cruise...

So it's about the same money, would probably spend more on the NY one, considering my hotel in NY is a $450 bucks..

The NY cruise is on Carnival

The Alaska Crusie is on Norwegian

So.. Who's been to both places?? Opinions on which is more kid/ single Mom friendly?

+ and -'s

Carnival is 185 sq ft rooms

and it's kids club offers sitting till 3am

However, the flights for me to get to NY for the carnival cruise is very much a pain in my heiney

Norwegian room is only 133/145 sq ft

kids club only open till 1am

Flying for me is a breese and wouldn't have to stay in one night ahead...

Any opinions on both destinations, being kid friendly or not, quality of either ships or service by both Carnival or Norweigan... which is better etc..

Will be my 2nd cruise, but I have never sailed on either of these 2 lines..

THANKS!

I've only been on one cruise in my life and that was last week on the Spirit and all I can tell you is that I had an awesome time and only wish my 3 yr old was there to enjoy it with me. Your children will enjoy themselves no matter which cruise you take, trust me ... so why not go where you'll be happy too?

If you'll enjoy Alaska more you should do it! I've never done that cruise but I've heard the average age of the passengers is on the higher side. You may want to call and find out how many children are normally onboard during the month you plan on going. If your children are more on the precocious side and do well around lots of adults that go for it without hesitation. If they get bored when they are not surrounded by lots of other children then I'd say pick an itinerary that all 3 of you would love and that is known to be kid friendly. No idea is the Canada cruise fits that or not.

Personally, I would do AK (have done so 4 times, and not just because I live nearby and it is easy to get to). I see something different every time I go, and it truly is God's marvelous last frontier in the US. It is something that everyone should see at least one time. The Maritime provinces are beautiful, too, but, as earlier poster said, better in the fall than the summer, because of the changing colors and scenery of fall. Still, a cruise is a cruise and worth the price of admission, no matter where you go.

I would pick the Carnival cruise if I were you, just because of the kids. I love NCL and so do my kids, but I don't think the kid's club would be as full of kids on an Alaskan cruise. Also, I think the night life on the Carnival ship would be better for you than on this particular NCL itinerary. I'm assuming that, as a single mom, you might be looking forward to letting your hair down a bit, too. I think you and the kids will both have a great time on the Canada trip.

We took our son who had just turned 10 on an Alaskan cruise and except for the Raptor Center (Eagles, Hawks, etc.) in Sitka, he would have enjoyed just staying on the ship with the new friends he made along the way. It wouldn't have mattered to him if we were in Alaska or South America. Your older one will probably enjoy just being able to wander the ship. All kids will eventually tire of even the best kids programs. I wouldn't want a 5 year old wander around but my 10 year old spent at least half the time playing with his new friends exploring all the fun places on the ship. We felt very safe even when they were not involved with the organized programs.I say pick what you'll enjoy the most. Since you've been to Canada I'd definately do the Alaska cruise....Absolutley the best way to see a lot of Alaska in a short period of time.

BEART72: I think it all comes down to personal choice. This is what I would do:

1. Check out the childrens programs throughly. I know NCL has schedule times on sea days: (morning, afternoon then evening until 10PM) after 10PM there is a charge from 10pm-1am. On port days there is a charge for daytime use and only 7-10pm is free of charge. Not sure what CC policies are but from what I have read they sound more flexiable. Then determine what will work best for you and your children.

2. I haven't been to Alaska yet and my big hesitation is that I don't think my children are old enogh to enjoy it yet. Alaska has lots of port and lots to see. Check out the excusions-What is a can't miss? Are you going to be taking your children to places where you would like to visit to only have them get bored in 10 minutes. I know my 4 year old would say "cool" and be ready to move on in 2 mins. flat. But maybe the childrens program can accommendate these occasions for you.

If you do the above, maybe one will stand out from the other.

There were lots of kids on our trip to Alaska... we went in the summer...my kids were then 10 and 14.....the younger one made friends in the kids programs and honestly never saw my daughter when we were on the ship.....The counselors were great.....Only you know your kids and what they enjoy and what their attention span is....Being a New Yorker, I can say NY is exciting! But Alaska touches you like no other.....there are excursions that keep things moving at a good pace for kids like whale watching...never a dull moment....I think you would probably enjoy either one.....One thing to consider is the amount of effort with kids you have to put in..like flying, getting around town, etc...NY is hectic....Alaska is not....Either way you will get to spend time with your family and have priceless memories....

Archived