Its not over until...

BalconySuite

I have to say on my last cruise we woke up when the announcements started we pottered down to breakfast at around 8am We had our breakfast then we took our cases to the exit of the ship and left. We just walked off of the ship when we were ready. No problems. I think the instructions were to go to a theatre somewhere and wait to be called, but we tried our luck and it paid off.

I'd certainly do that again.

It was the Nordic Empress, a Royal Caribbean ship that sailed out of Port Canaveral quite some time ago. I haven't sailed since, mainly because of how it ended......"

Wow, if it was Nordic Empress that had to be more than ten years ago since when we sailed on her in 2004 she had been renamed to add the words 'of the Seas' to her name lafter a drydock, lke the other RCI ships.

We had also cruised on her in 1999 when she was Nordic Empress but I do not remember disembarkation being as you described. We sat somewhere while waiting.

Even in 2004 we did not experience what you did. Yes, we had to be out of our cabin by 8:30am but we were among the last passengers to leave the ship and were off by shortly after 10am. There was plenty of seating in the largest lounge and although people had carryons with them, there was not luggage all over as you describe.

We have cruised on several cruise lines and most do want you out of your cabin by 8:30am but the last call for passengers is usually no later than 10am and there are plenty of places to wait comfortably.

On HAL passengers can wait in their cabins until their group is called. So you might want to look into cruising on HAL.

On NCL we have also sometimes waited in our cabin but I don't remember if that was ship policy or our cabin steward saying it was okay since he could start on the already vacated cabins. Nowadays DH requires wheelchair disembarkation so we have to be in that lounge at a certain time.

I think you should give cruising another chance. Unless there is a delay from Customs/Immigration officials (and we have experienced that in both Miami and Los Angeles), disembarkation goes quickly.

I think you experienced a delay.

Edited by NMLady

I definitely think another chance is in order. My mother, who has limited mobility, would like to do an Alaskan cruise. I am interested in some of the themed cruises.

Any suggestions for a drama free (cruise + rail?) Alaskan cruise? Or a cooking/foodie themed cruise?

I definitely think another chance is in order. My mother, who has limited mobility, would like to do an Alaskan cruise. I am interested in some of the themed cruises.

Any suggestions for a drama free (cruise + rail?) Alaskan cruise? Or a cooking/foodie themed cruise?

HAL does some excellent Alaska cruise+land tours.

And on their ships you can stay in your cabin on disembarkation day until your group is called.

Also, on embarkation day your cabin is usually ready when you board.

You don't have to wait until 1pm for cabins to be ready.

Edited by NMLady