Pride of America, has anyone gotten off early?

raken80

We've cruised on the POA Hawaiian cruise several years ago, and LOVED it! We would like to do it again and tweak our vacation a bit so we need some advice. DH and I were the least impressed with Honolulu, and since we fell in love with Kauai, we were thinking that next time we book, we'd get off early (in Kauai) and stay there for several days before flying home. Has anyone ever done this? If so what was your experience with this itinerary change? Tips anyone? Thanks!

Yes, we stayed in Cozumel, which was our last stop. We had to get approvel from NCL, just call customer service and they will walk you thru what you have to do. I think it will be much easier since you are in United States.

It will actually be much more difficult in the United States because of the PVSA. Basically NCL is not allowed to transport you between two different US ports without visiting a distant foreign port, which the PoA does not do. They might choose to let you do it and pay the fee, but I wouldn't count on it.

It will actually be much more difficult in the United States because of the PVSA. Basically NCL is not allowed to transport you between two different US ports without visiting a distant foreign port, which the PoA does not do. They might choose to let you do it and pay the fee, but I wouldn't count on it.

The PVSA does not apply to U.S. flagged vessels, which the POA is.

Here's the history:

The law has had an interesting consequence with regard to the cruise ship industry within the state of Hawaii. Foreign-flagged cruise ships may carry passengers between ports in the Hawaiian Islands as long as no passenger permanently leaves the vessel at ports other than the origination port and the vessel makes at least one call at a foreign port. Norwegian Cruise Line created a subsidiary, NCL America, and introduced three new US-flagged vessels: Pride of Aloha in 2004, Pride of America in 2005, and Pride of Hawaii in 2006. Previously, with its foreign-flagged vessels, NCL needed to include a four day detour to Tabuaeran (Fanning Atoll) in the Line Islands (Republic of Kiribati) on its Hawaiian itineraries.

Reportedly due to financial losses, in 2007 NCL renamed Pride of Hawaii to Norwegian Jade, and reflagged and relocated the ship to Europe. In 2008, NCL also relocated Pride of Aloha to Florida, reflagging it and renaming it to Norwegian Sky at the same time. Thus the Pride of America is the sole NCL ship currently in Hawaii service

We've cruised on the POA Hawaiian cruise several years ago, and LOVED it! We would like to do it again and tweak our vacation a bit so we need some advice. DH and I were the least impressed with Honolulu, and since we fell in love with Kauai, we were thinking that next time we book, we'd get off early (in Kauai) and stay there for several days before flying home. Has anyone ever done this? If so what was your experience with this itinerary change? Tips anyone? Thanks!

Usually getting off the ship early isn't a problem, just arrange it with NCL in advance. It's probably even easier with PoA than almost any other cruise, since you start and end in the U.S. and no customs or immigration is involved.

I thought at first when I read your post that it's not cost-effective to give up part of your cruise, since the PoA cruises are so expensive (comparatively). But it looks like the ship stays in Kauai overnight and then leaves at 2pm on second day to return to Honolulu, so you'd only be losing half a day on the ship.

Edited by Illyria

The PVSA does not apply to U.S. flagged vessels, which the POA is.

Here's the history:

The law has had an interesting consequence with regard to the cruise ship industry within the state of Hawaii. Foreign-flagged cruise ships may carry passengers between ports in the Hawaiian Islands as long as no passenger permanently leaves the vessel at ports other than the origination port and the vessel makes at least one call at a foreign port. Norwegian Cruise Line created a subsidiary, NCL America, and introduced three new US-flagged vessels: Pride of Aloha in 2004, Pride of America in 2005, and Pride of Hawaii in 2006. Previously, with its foreign-flagged vessels, NCL needed to include a four day detour to Tabuaeran (Fanning Atoll) in the Line Islands (Republic of Kiribati) on its Hawaiian itineraries.

Reportedly due to financial losses, in 2007 NCL renamed Pride of Hawaii to Norwegian Jade, and reflagged and relocated the ship to Europe. In 2008, NCL also relocated Pride of Aloha to Florida, reflagging it and renaming it to Norwegian Sky at the same time. Thus the Pride of America is the sole NCL ship currently in Hawaii service

FANTASTIC post! Thanks for the history behind it all!

Previously, with its foreign-flagged vessels, NCL needed to include a four day detour to Tabuaeran (Fanning Atoll) in the Line Islands (Republic of Kiribati) on its Hawaiian itineraries.

That must have been really cool!

What a great idea! Never thought of this as an option. I'm curious how this will work out for you