Heavyweight title fight: HAL vs. X

dakrewser

I agree with a previous poster that an S category on HAL is more comparable to a RS category on X--at least as far as comparing Statendam-Class to Century-Class ships. On our Galaxy 12-night this past February, we were very pleased with this cabin category. Still have a soft spot for HAL's suite, however. We haven't sailed HAL since the SOE program has been implemented--but we are booked for a 14-day Ryndam this coming February. Just as an aside, the aforementioned Galaxy cruise was about $2K less that the upcoming HAL (for categories RS vs S).

The major thing that X is lacking is the wrap-around promenade deck-I cannot understand why a ship would be designed without one.

Dave, thank you for a wonderful comparison of HAL vs. X. I have only toured the Millinium class X ships, and it was on the Infinity, in Juneau several years ago. So my experience is on the Mercury. Our first Vista Class experience was on the Ziederdam. Our next will be on the Westerdam in a couple of months. Here are a few comments to your excellent posts.

Two more posts in this comparison series, this one a "catchall" for things not covered in the others.

Chairs. I mentioned that the cabin chairs on Infinity were superior to those on Oosterdam, but I'll add that throughout the ship the chairs seemed more comfortable - especially in the bars and lounges. Oosterdam had lots of annoying seats whose tops hit the small of your back

We are not that tall, but found the public area seats on the Ziederdam to be a bit more uncomfortable than we are used to.

Hand sanitizers. Non-existant on Infinity, a serious drawback in my opinion.

Hand sanitizers appear when a known virus is present, both on HAL and X. I have asked this question on both lines and have received the same answer.

(There was a switch next to our bed on Infinity which looked like an off/on volume control but apparently wasn't hooked up to anything!)

-dave

The volume control on the Infinity is for life threatening emergency announcements only. There is a speaker located directly over the bed, and if the Captain needed to announce a problem, you would hear it.

It's wonderful to see someone else rank the old Renaissance line high up on the list of favorite ships. I miss those days, and Oceania just charges more than I feel we are willing to spend. Too bad they went out of business.

My DW and I have always had an S suite on HAL. We think it is a good value, but at 500 plus square feet, does not have the same feel as a RS on X gives us. On X, we have a dining table, that seats 4 if we wish to invite another couple in for a meal with us. Also, if we have guests in for sail away coctails, we are able to close off the bedroom. This is all done within a very few square feet difference between HAL and X. I do know that we pay more for the RS vs an S on Hal.

Dave, thanks again for an incredible review.

Rick

Hi Dave,

Thanks for comparing the two lines. We just returned from our first Celebrity cruise on Murcery. We usually stay in the S suite on HAL and stayed in the RS on Murcery. The RS has an edge over the S suite on HAL. Having a living area with four seating dining table seperated from the bedroom is really nice. Also, has a walk in closet with a vanity area for us ladies is nice and similar to S suite. The Bathroom on the RS is nicer (with marble on floors and walls) and the layout is better with seperated toilet and shower stall with a glass door instead of a curtain (that frankly sticks to you when showering.) Also, both suites ( S and RS) have a tub/shower which is a nice option.

RS has a Butler. S suite has the Nuptune lounge which we missed. The Butler was fine but as Dave pointed out you either had to be in your room when he came by or you had to call him if you wanted something. We REALLY prefer the Neptune Lounge and missed it very much.

We also prefer going to the show AFTER dinner. Even if we have the late seating. Celebrity offers the show at 7pm for the late seating.

I think the S suite perks are better on HAL. Laundry, dry cleaning, special lunch and cocktail parties and the Nuptune Lounge just can't be beat

OK, So we prefer HAL. I thought the food on Celebrity had a slight edge but my husband disagreed. He thought it was about the same. I do love the crew on HAL as does my husband. We had good service on Celebrity but I do feel that HAL was slightly better.

And Dave, I agree the "art" on Celebrity was not good. Even my husband commented about how poor it was and he NEVER notices such things. Very odd photography (and I like photography) or bad posters.

We just feel comfortable on HAL's ships. It can be really hard to put a finger on it but its like coming home but on vacation.

Wendy

• 6 months later...

HAL- I have more cruises on Celebrity than HAL, but if you like suites: The four HAL Vista class ships have 160 suites (389-1300 SF) compared to the four Celebrity Millenium class ships that have 50 suites (251-1400 SF). Conde Naste Traveler does rate Celebrity higher mainly due to the dining. However Porthole rates HAL best in overall service and shore excursions. Also Ocean & Cruise News rates HAL as the best cruise value 13 years running. If you are going to Alaska like I am this summer HAL has 8 ships there to Celebritys 3. A vote for HAL.

Archived