Please critique my clothes packing list

rockster

This is what I plan on bringing for a 9 day cruise in the Western Caribbean in late October regarding attire. Do I need more? I can't afford to pack too much because after the cruise we are planning to stay in New York and Atlantic City so I don't want to lug around too many suitcases. It's sad cause I just realized I don't even have a pair of shorts, bathing suits or t-shirts that still fit.. guess I gotta go shopping..

underwear and socks

1 black dress pants

1 pair jeans

1 black skirt

1 capri pants

1 pair shorts

1 dressy top

2 casual tops

1 sweater

2 t-shirts

3 tank tops

2 cocktail dresses

2 bathing suits

1 sarong

1 pair dress shoes

flip flops

water shoes (?)

runners

hat

Thanks for reading, I know my questions are pretty lame, but I'm really excited about my first cruise..

I was looking for the gym shoes for working out, is that the runners? Bring the water shoes if your getting in the water or going to the beach or going to duns river falls.

Looks like your traveling light. Nice job for your first cruise. Its better to bring less than more. You will get a big laugh looking at the lugage people bring on a cruise. More than you or I would need if we were going for a year. Remember the saying most use here at cc, If it does not fit in one suitecase, you dont need it.

For a nine-day, I would pack additional t-shirts, shorts and/or capris, a wrap for the cocktail dresses if you are not wearing your sweater (the dining room and theatres can be chilly), and a light-weight water-proof jacket or poncho to keep away the rain!

Your question was not lame and you should be very excited about your first cruise! Have a great time!

Joni

IMHO, I'd bring another couple dressier tops for the blk. pants & skirt. You'll have 8 nites in the dining rm..unless you plan on skipping that a couple nites. May want a bathing suit cover up unless you want to use your shorts & tees for that. Sounds like you're off to a great start. You'll be amazed at how fantastic this will be!

Enjoy!

Thanks! I'm so glad I found this board, it makes my pre-cruise time so much more enjoyable and informative.

I will definitely bring a raincoat. My runners will be for working out and exploring the voyager.

I think I'll get a wrap skirt or something like that for some versatility.

Does anyone remember that informercial for the "infinite dress"? It's a tube top like long dress that can be adjusted to be all sorts of different dresses.. maybe I gotta invest in that so I can look like I'm not wearing the same outfit multiple times.:D

Jeans in the Caribbean? Personally, I'd skip them in favor of a pair of khakis or something similar (which can also double up for dining room duty if necessary). I'd also add more shorts and t-shirts as well, since that is what you will probably find yourself wearing during the day. Also, if you're planning on eating in the dining room in the evenings, you're going to need more dressy tops.

Expect the weather to be very warm, even in late October, in the western Caribbean. When we were there on our cruise last January, the weather was 85-90 degrees.

Instead of the jeans (too hot) I would consider a nice pair of black slacks in a summer weight that can be dressed up for evening or down for day. I am wearing mine on the plane down and out three of the nights on my next cruise. Please bare in mind I am a HORRIFIC overpacker and am notorious for using my luggage allowance and the allowance of one of my kids when I travel for pleasure. For business I can put it all on a roll-a-board no matter the length of the trip. Go figure.

I agree with not packing the jeans. Looking at the list, I think you will need a couple more pair of shorts. During the day, I wear shorts over my swim suit when I go ashore. Sometimes they get dirty, especially if I have put them on over my swimsuit after an excursion.

If you do run short on clothes, you can always send them out to get cleaned!

Wow! A cruise AND New York! Lucky you!

Yes... one or two more shorts, a wrap/shawl, one more dressy top, ...

No...jeans--it is way too hot in the Caribbean to wear, much less, pack jeans.

I commend you for not overpacking--on my first cruise, I didn't wear half of what I brought!

Have a great cruise!

wear your jeans on and off the ship so you don't waste luggage space (you may want them in NY / AC). don't forget something to sleep in. and I agree w/ the suggestions for another pair of shorts and a lightweight rain jacket (I have one from Columbia that folds to practically nothing!). another dressy top would be good too. have fun - I like to pack light too - DH is a different story, LOL!!

I'd leave out the jeans and take another pair of shorts. I would add some more t-shirts unless you are planning to have them laundered on board. I would also bring sandals. I wear sports sandals 90% of the time on cruise and on excursions. Shoes and socks are too hot for me.

I like the idea of taking along a pair of jeans and wearing them on and off the ship. I, too, would add another pair of shorts, you will be wearing shorts more than anything else. I'm of the mind to take less and have it laundered along the way.

I probably would not pack the raincoat, unless you need it for Atlantic City or New York. If you get rain in the Caribbean, it will be too muggy to be wearing a raincoat and an umbrella would be a better choice. I have a small travel umbrella that I tuck into my suitcase for almost any trip.

For a warm weather vacation, I take along more bathing suits (usually 4), they take up so little room and I don't want to wear the same 2 bathing suits all week. I'd cut down on clothing elsewhere, if I had to.

Your list actually looks pretty good, to me. Just make sure you follow the list and don't pack any what if's and just in case items at the last minute!

I would lose the jeans (unless you're going to need them for your post-cruise traveling). I would add another pair of shorts, another bathing suit, and an additional cover-up (perfect for excursion wear). Do you need pajamas? Any special bras, etc. for your evening dresses? As for the water shoes, I'd take them IF you have planned water-type excursions like jet-ski rides, etc. If you're just going to lie on the beach, leave them at home.

You'll probably need to send some things to be washed mid-cruise, but your plans look good to me. Packing light is the only way to go.

Wow, that seems really minimimalist to me, but i like clothes alot. I just was figuring out my wardrobe for October 2 ten night today. I posted it on the cruise fashions board. One difference is we have the caribbean, Bermuda(a little cooler and somewhat dressier), and a post stay in Boston, so I need more clothes. I really would add to your list sandals, more evening wear, another suit and coverup, and a few more tops. That is just my opinion. Whatever you take, have a great cruise. Nancy

I would definitely take the water shoes, even if you are going to beach, some beaches have coral and rough bottoms. Coco cay has pretty rough bottom, key West was awful, i didn't have water shoes..had to wear my flip flops in :(

I would also pack another swim suit. When you rinse them out it takes awhile for them to dry..and there is nothing WORSE than putting on a wet Bathing suit!

Keep the jeans for your NY/NJ part of trip.

I always pack extra hangers(lightweight and easy to pack) They don't uaually have too many in the cabins and I like to unpack my suitcase and there is not always alot of drawers. :) Looks like you've got a great start to a great vacation.

Your clothing list more or less matches mine that I took on an 7 day so I would go with the suggestions above....

You have a question mark beside the water shoes- I would definately take some. Many of the beaches have coral, rocks and some of the beaches have hot or rough sand. They don't take up much room and will come in handy.

Also, what shoes are you going to wear on casual nights in the DR? The dressy pair? You might want a pair of sandals that will suit a dining room without being so dressy (flip flops are not loved in the DR)....

Other than that- great list! I always laugh at the people lugging around a million cases for a week- how often do they change?:p

Cheers,

I would keep the jeans NY & NJ could get chilling in the evenings in October. Where them to travel in. Add one or two pairs of shorts you spend most of the time in them. and evening wrap for sure the dining room and show theaters are cold.

Skip the rainwear, I would opt for a small travel umbrella, tee shirts could be purchase anywhere on the trip if you should run short. and of course there is always the laundry service on board.

Enjoy your trip,

Tillie 36_1_68.gif

Great responses for this. We always overpack, but with each cruise I really do try to cut somethings out...and I still overpack. I jsut never know what i will feel like wearing....but in truth...the sea days I wear my bikini and shorts over it and maybe a top. Since they come right off while at the pool, it is never dirty, so I find myself grabbing the same thing to wear again. HAppens to always be the most comfortable thing. I usually bring black slacks and a few nice tops for casual nights at the dining room and of course the formals, and then I wear my jeans from VA to Fl in Jan and leave all winter jackets home. Tank tops and shorts and sweater sets for evening wear in the lounges..it can get cold with the ac. Most important...enjoy and do not sweat the small stuff. You will be happier with a lighter suitcase.

This is what I plan on bringing for a 9 day cruise in the Western Caribbean in late October regarding attire. Do I need more? I can't afford to pack too much because after the cruise we are planning to stay in New York and Atlantic City so I don't want to lug around too many suitcases. It's sad cause I just realized I don't even have a pair of shorts, bathing suits or t-shirts that still fit.. guess I gotta go shopping..

underwear and socks

1 black dress pants

1 pair jeans

1 black skirt

1 capri pants

1 pair shorts

1 dressy top

2 casual tops

1 sweater

2 t-shirts

3 tank tops

2 cocktail dresses

2 bathing suits

1 sarong

1 pair dress shoes

flip flops

water shoes (?)

runners

hat

Thanks for reading, I know my questions are pretty lame, but I'm really excited about my first cruise..

If you can pull it off . . . great! But it looks a little light to me for a 9 day cruise. Jeans? Not sure why you'd need those except before and after the cruise or if you plan an excursion that would be more comfortable in them. I'd double everything down to the sweater and quadruple the shorts.

Bathing suit and coverup - that's all you need for sea days.

Many excursions are water based...so again bathing suit and cover ups.

A few pairs of shorts and tee shirts for excursions.

Dinner clothes. Try to double up with different tops.

This is what I wear...what I pack...well that is a whole other story. Way too much.

Sandals, sneakers, dressy shoes and a nice pair of flip flops. That should do it.

Someone please remind me next year when we go on Jewel.

Have fun.

Remember you are much more aware of what you are wearing than anyone else is.....

Have a great time.

You don't mention what ship you are cruising on, but if it's a Voyager class ship I would recommend keeping the jeans if you intend to ice skate. They would be good to wear while traveling (since you are coming from the north) also, and they wouldn't be taking up room in your luggage that way.

I'm on a 10 day very shortly and I think by the way I've packed I could outfit at least 2 other people on the ship. I always overpack but these extra 3 days are killing me. I've previously only been on 7 day cruises. Thank god I'm not flying to get to the ship this time I'm pretty sure I am over the weight requirements

Archived