QV - 27/06/15 - Athens

Roborab

Anyone else worried about staying in Athens the night before our cruise?

Our hotel is about a mile away from Constitution Square, but just seen some of the riots on the BBC website and it looks awful. Putting a bit of a damper on the holiday excitement to say the least!

Anyone else worried about staying in Athens the night before our cruise?

Our hotel is about a mile away from Constitution Square, but just seen some of the riots on the BBC website and it looks awful. Putting a bit of a damper on the holiday excitement to say the least!

I wouldn't worry about a few people complaining about austerity. There was a mass protest in Syntagma Square right outside my hotel last July. Didn't last that long.

The Greeks haven't been a threat since the Hoplites. Just be mindful of your whereabouts and enjoy your cruise :)

Glad to find someone else on the QV cruise this weekend.

We fly in from Heathrow and are transferring straight to the ship.

Reckon the rioters don't have an issue with tourists, just their own government. Even the rioters would realise foreign visitors bring money into their economy.

On my Med cruise a couple of years ago when I got to Athens there was a protest. The streets were closed where my hotel was. My taxi driver had to drop me off as close as he could. Then I had to walk to the hotel. As I am walking up a main street the protesters march down on the other side. I figure I would wait for them to pass as I had to cross the street. Then the marchers stop, Ok now what to do, well I just walked right through them. They were very nice to me moved out of the way and let me through. I had no problems. It was just a moment to talk about.

Just be careful and go with the flow

I think I read somewhere that the UK Foreign Office will update its travel advice if the current economic situation in Greece gets worse. I just had a look though, and the advice at the moment is here:

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/greece

I'm guessing that all holiday providers will have to make alternative arrangements for travellers if the situation calls for it.

You may also find this advice useful:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-33205269

Edited by MeredithFairfax
Added link