6/28 Epic Med Cruise - Day 1

suzan99

Unfortunately I am unable to post any pictures. I spent over an hour trying to resize them to be able to upload and it's just too time consuming :(

We arrived at the cruise port in Barcelona at about 12:45. The line was long to check in but it didn't take too long, we were in our cabin by 1:30. Went to the buffet for lunch - it was crowded but we expected that. Our cabin was 10247 which had the bed in the front. We went to the pool for a few hours and then got ready for an early dinner at the Cirque Show which was very good. Dinner was a set meal of filet mignon and shrimp, also really good.

After dinner we visited the kids club to register our daughter and had a drink at O'Sheenan's. We really liked that it was large and kid friendly, with darts, pool and hockey tables and other arcade games.

The ship was nice but a little more closed in - than the RCL ships we had been on. The ceilings seem higher in the public rooms.

You're the second person I've now seen who's started a new thread for each day. If you're going to continue doing that, would you please include the links to your other days' reviews in you first post to make it easier to follow along? It's just be simpler for those who want to read your review since the threads will be separated. :)

My biggest concern about the Epic is the reviews I've read that talk about having to make an effort to see the ocean. Did you find that to be the case? Did it make you feel like you weren't on a ship?

How as the food at O'Sheehan's? I'm looking forward to trying it. The only NCL cruise I've been on didn't have O'Sheehan's.

Thanks!

I would recommend you to upload your review in one single topic, as it is much easier to read and also for future users to search.

As for the photos, use

www.tinypic.com

and on "Resize" select 15" screen (800x600) . It will resize it automatically for you in a decent size for a forum.

After uploading, just copy the full code you'll find on "IMG Code for Forums & Message Boards".

Hope it helps.

Edited by ppstateofmind

I was able to upload some pictures. I divided my review into different posts because someone else did that a few weeks ago. I will just add the days to this thread.

I thought the Epic was fine for seeing the ocean. We did have balcony room and spent most of our time on the pool deck. All the restaurants we ate in (except where the Cirque show was) had windows overlooking the ocean.

We didn't get a chance to eat at O'Sheenan's. We did go there for drinks most evenings but were too full from dinner to try anything. We really wanted to and friends of mine who have been on the Epic 4 times said the food was was good. We were going to eat lunch there the last day but didn't want to leave the pool.

Here are some of my Barcelona pictures.

Barcelona's beautiful architecture:

18nngw.jpg

Placa Reial Square:

149s8li.jpg

Barcelona Cathedral near our hotel:

ptz60.jpg

Thanks for the responses to my questions! I'm not much for hanging out on the pool deck, but it'll be March, so at least it won't be hot. I'll have to check it out.

I'm so glad you were able to post photos. I can't wait to visit Barcelona, and your pics make me want to even more. :)

I saw that someone did that--new thread for each day--I abandoned that review because it was just too hard to follow with a different thread for each day. It's the only time I've ever seen someone do that and I thought it was odd then. Anyway, thanks for the review. I'm enjoying following along. :D

Today was our at sea day. We had breakfast in the buffet - it was very crowded. I think the buffet food was better on the RCL cruises but it was fine - the usual buffet breakfast things.

I really loved the itinerary of this cruise - it was very port intensive and I love historical sights and museums, etc. I get kind of bored on a Caribbean cruise but my husband and daughter probably would have liked a little more down time or sea days.

We spent most of the day at the pool. My daughter loved the water slides and made friends with some other girls. I looked at the adult area but the pool was quite small and not much was going on there so we never really hung out there. The drinks at the pool bar were good. Loved the BBC and Toasted Almond drinks. The buffet is close to the pool deck and there is a small outdoor buffet with food all day and night. Sometimes they had crepes which were really good but most of the time it was burgers and hot dogs. I wish they had a few more healthy items.

We had made all our dinner reservations online before the cruise. Tonight we had a reservation at Le Bistro. My daughter and I had the salmon and I think my husband had a steak. It was really good and we had a table by the window. After dinner my daughter went to the kids club and my husband and I went to O'Sheenans.

One negative is that after 10:30 you have to pay $6 an hour for the kids club. Since we were getting up early and my daughter was 12 and could hang out in the room we didn't use the club after 10:30.

We didn't go to any of the shows because we were getting up early tomorrow for Naples.

The Pool Deck:

2lxftqc.jpg

Our balcony cabin:

6ny32x.jpg

Pool Slides:

2ii8y0p.jpg

Dinner in Le Bistro:

5fi2vc.jpg

Today we woke up early. I usually went up to the buffet and brought down croissants and pastries for us to eat in the room. Yes, they do allow you to take plates of food out of the buffet. We got off the ship at about 8:00 am. Our plan was to take a taxi to the Porta Nolana circumvesuviana station. The Naples port is really nice with a lot of shops, clothing, shoes, even food.

When we tried to get a taxi none would take us – they were all trying to get you to do full day tours for 200-300 euros. So we ended up walking – it took about 20 minutes and we walk fast. There is a tram you can take but since I thought we were taking a taxi we I didn’t bring the info.

The circumvesuviana train isn’t air conditioned and it’s very hot. If you plan to take it to the ruins it is safe and full of tourists but there are pickpockets. My husband saw three guys who looked like they were targeting people. Our plan was to go to Herculaneum and then on to Sorrento. You must tell them you will get off at Ercolano and they will give you 2 separate tickets. If you want a seat get on at Porta Nolana not the main train station at the next stop. It‘s about 20 minutes to Herculaneum through lots of graffiti covered suburbs of Naples.

We decided to go to Herculaneum because we had a limited amount of time and it is smaller, far less crowded and better preserved. It is easy to do with an hour or two. We were going to do the audio tour but didn’t see where to get the devices (they are at a stand next to the café right before you reach the ruins. There were only about 10-20 people there and it was about 9:30.

We then took the train to Sorrento (about another 50 minutes). Had lunch in the square and then walked down the stairs to the waterfront area and went to the beach. It was about 30 euros to rent 3 chairs and an umbrella. We swam for an hour or two and then took the 4:25 hydrofoil back to Naples. It was much more pleasant than taking the train back! We tried to plan fun things like the beach that my daughter would enjoy with sightseeing. The hydrofoil takes you back right next to the cruise ship so it’s very convenient.

This was my first time to Italy so I was surprised by the lack of AC on trains, buses and even restaurants that say they have AC really don’t feel like it. I lived in London and know that northern Europe doesn’t have AC but they also don’t really need it. I was basically a hot mess for 3 days (LOL) . It was also very hard to find wifi in Italy. Restaurants would give you a password but the wifi would work for a minute then not work. So be prepared to be offline for a few days. I would love to travel to just Italy but would definitely not go in the summer.

We had both the beverage package and drinks package so we made reservations online for each of the different restaurants. Tonight we had reservations at La Cucina for dinner. It was good but if I had to pay for it I would go because the main dining room Taste has many of the same menu items (lasagna and chicken parmigiana).

After dinner my daughter went to the kids club and we went for a drink at O’Sheenans. We had an early night (11 pm) because we were getting up early for Rome the next day.

Here are my Herculaneum pictures. You can only post 6 pictures so I will post the Sorrento ones in the next post.

A view of Herculaneum with Mt. Vesuvius in the background:

nx0134.jpg

At street in Herculaneum:

2q30yfc.jpg

vopwrs.jpg

14lo5cp.jpg

IMG]http://i60.tinypic.com/2pov8dd.jpg[/img]

24nqhwl.jpg

Love the photos! I experienced the same thing with wifi when I was in Venice in the fall. It was much easier to keep in touch with family when I was on the ship! My foster daughter is on a study abroad program in Rome right now and I've been happy she's been getting wifi pretty consistently at her apt.

Sorrento looks beautiful. What a lovely place to spend some time!

Amazing pictures! You are and your daughter are beautiful.

How did you bring cash with you? Did you use ATMs? They say ATMs are the best way to get cash in Europe but I'm afraid of pickpockets casing the ATMs.

Do you think you can post the dailies? Please...

Thank you!

The best exchange rates are available at ATMs. You have to take into account the ATM fees--including the local bank's fee and your own bank's fee. Because of these fees, you may want to do fewer trips to the ATMs, even though you then have to carry more cash around. Some good general advice about using ATMs abroad: Use a bank ATM rather than just any ATM. Best case the bank has a room for the ATMs so you're not out on the street when you get your cash. If you do it during banking hours, I think that increases the chance that no pickpockets would be in the ATM room. Then hide most of the cash you get on your person (I wear a pouch around my neck and under my clothes) and just leave a little cash in your purse or pocket.

Really enjoying your review! Will be on the Epic soon.

Few q's:

Was the beach easy to walk to Sorrento? We booked an ship's tour and we have a few hours in Sorrento. Do you have any tips/advice?

How were the prices in general there ie. for food/souvenirs?

Did you find it safe to walk around? Thx for your help!

I had $600 in cash which I changed in the airport. Then I got $$ out of an ATM twice (300 euros each time). I used cash for small purchases, taxis, etc. When I bought shoes, clothes, some dinners we used our Capital one card because they don't charge a foreign exchange fee. I usually used the ATM when we were going straight back to the hotel or ship.

I will try to scan the Dailies. I think I brought all of them home. Sorrento was very safe. To get down to the beach you have to walk down a huge flight of stairs, and then along the road. It's not far at all. There is a port area with some souvenir shops and the beach but if you want to shop or eat stay up in the town - there are more choices. Luckily we were taking the hydrofoil back so we didn't have to walk back up the stairs but there is an elevator.

Souvenirs were generally about 3-4 euros for magnets, key chains stuff like that. I bought a print in Rome from an artist for 20 euros. You can get nice leather handbags starting at 15 euros for a small one. A margarita pizza was about 10-14 euros. I think I paid 10 for fettucine carbonara. Gelato was about 3 euros for a small. I found the prices reasonable especially since the exchange rate is good now.

I had $600 in cash which I changed in the airport. Then I got $$ out of an ATM twice (300 euros each time). I used cash for small purchases, taxis, etc. When I bought shoes, clothes, some dinners we used our Capital one card because they don't charge a foreign exchange fee. I usually used the ATM when we were going straight back to the hotel or ship.

I will try to scan the Dailies. I think I brought all of them home. Sorrento was very safe. To get down to the beach you have to walk down a huge flight of stairs, and then along the road. It's not far at all. There is a port area with some souvenir shops and the beach but if you want to shop or eat stay up in the town - there are more choices. Luckily we were taking the hydrofoil back so we didn't have to walk back up the stairs but there is an elevator.

Souvenirs were generally about 3-4 euros for magnets, key chains stuff like that. I bought a print in Rome from an artist for 20 euros. You can get nice leather handbags starting at 15 euros for a small one. A margarita pizza was about 10-14 euros. I think I paid 10 for fettucine carbonara. Gelato was about 3 euros for a small. I found the prices reasonable especially since the exchange rate is good now.

Out of curiousity - can you bargain with the sellers? and if we want to take the elevator back up in Sorrento do you have to pay for it? if so, how much is it?

The best exchange rates are available at ATMs. You have to take into account the ATM fees--including the local bank's fee and your own bank's fee. Because of these fees, you may want to do fewer trips to the ATMs, even though you then have to carry more cash around. Some good general advice about using ATMs abroad: Use a bank ATM rather than just any ATM. Best case the bank has a room for the ATMs so you're not out on the street when you get your cash. If you do it during banking hours, I think that increases the chance that no pickpockets would be in the ATM room. Then hide most of the cash you get on your person (I wear a pouch around my neck and under my clothes) and just leave a little cash in your purse or pocket.

I agree! I always use ATMs when traveling internationally because the exchange rate is better. I stay away from airport or other currency exchange vendors--their rates are usually pretty bad. I wear a money belt under my clothing and put the cash into it immediately. Since I often travel solo, I pay a lot of attention to what's going on around me--when my DD travels with me, one of us uses the ATM and the other stands facing out so she can keep tabs on who's around, but when I'm alone, it's up to me to do both. It makes me feel a little vulnerable, but I've never had any issues. :o

Hi, my daughter loved the pools and also the water slides. In the evening she liked the kids club a lot. I'm sure your daughter will like the teen club. My daughter would have liked more time on the ship but we tried to plan a vacation that would be a lot of sightseeing combined with her being able to meet kids her age and swim, etc. It was cool that she met kids from all over the world and even made friends with some Spanish girls who didn't speak English (my daughter had some Spanish in Elementary school, then they cut it from the budget in 6th grade, which is really a shame).

She loved the beach in Cannes and also loved shopping in the boutiques in Barcelona and Cannes. We didn't have time to shop in Rome or Naples/Sorrento. The beach in Mallorca was really fun too.

We decided that we didn’t want to deal with taking the train into Rome and we also didn’t want to go on a guided tour so we signed up for the “Rome on Your Own Tour”. It is basically just bus service into Rome , they drop you off at the Colosseum and you have 6 hours on your own to explore and meet back at the same place. The price was $119 for adults and $69 for kids which I think is far too expensive for what you get but the guided tours where like $270 pp.

I had bought tickets for the colosseum online which is a must unless you want to wait in line for 2 hours. There is a line for security but it does go pretty fast. Our plan was to do the colosseum first then walk to the Pantheon and Spanish Ssteps stopping for lunch on the way somewhere. We figured we didn’t have time or tickets to go to the Vatican.

We arrived in Rome at about 10 am and had until 4 pm. We spent about an hour or so at the Colosseum and then walked past the forum and Palentine Hill. We could have gone into the forum with our colosseum ticket but didn’t have a lot of time and you can get good pictures walking by.

We had lunch at the restaurant near the National Monument to Victor Emmanual. I can’t remember the name – it was fine but not spectacular. We just shared a pizza and had a quick lunch. The continued walking to the Pantheon and found a nice church the block before. We then walked to Navona square and up to the Spanish steps. We decided we had some extra time so took a taxi from the Spanish steps to see the outside of the Vatican. At about 3:15 we took a taxi to the Colosseum but when I husband got out of the taxi and paid the driver he turned his head for a minute and the driver said he only gave him two 5 euro notes, which he actually gave him a 5 and a 20.

It was amazing to see Rome. I would love to go back and go see everything I missed. I definitely wouldn’t go in the summer if I returned – too hot and crowded.

We got back to the bus and had a relaxing 1 ½ hour ride back to the ship. We went to the pool for a quick swim. Tonight we had dinner reservations at Cagneys. The food was excellent. All three of us had the filet mignon. We also got scalloped potatoes, mac and cheese and asparagus. My daughter got the wagoya beef slider appetizers and they were huge and really good.

After dinner my daughter went to the kids club and we went to see the Beatles band. They were really good.

National Monument to Victor Emmanual:

mmqvk4.jpg

2daan3b.jpg

296d5pv.jpg

The Colosseum:

ogj21c.jpg