Dinner Menus

DON M.

We have booked our first river cruise ( the Danube, next summer on one of the Amadeaus ships).

Can anyone enlighten me on the type of entrees served at dinner on these ships? Steak, Prime Rib, Italian, or is it alot of "fancy", "gourmet", weird selections that I usually cannot even pronounce.

We were on the Legendary Danube from Budapest to Prague aboard the Avalon/Amadeus Poetry. Our dinner entrees varied. I was not impressed with the meat (overcooked steak, small portions of lamb etc.). The captain's welcome dinner was duck--no other choice. I'm not a duck eater, do we ate ashore and had a great meal in Bratislava. I wouldn't say that the dinner entrees were really odd or really bad, but they can't compare to what a high-quality ocean cruise would offer. Soups were wonderful, however. It does depend the chef and the boat, however. We met some cruisers from the Symphony who reported a different cuisine each night (Italian, etc.) and liked their dinner entrees very much. Breakfast buffet was great for everyone, however, and lunch buffets, while offering some very odd things (liver dumpling soup) were bountiful and had plenty to please everyone.

We were on the Poetry in July from Amsterdam to Budapest and while we thought the breakfast buffet everyday was monotonous and limited, the lunch buffet always had great salad,soup and dessert choices in addition to the entrees (carving station too). Dinners were certainly not what we've experienced on our 30 cruises on other ocean ships (Silverseas, Radisson, Oceania, Celebrity, etc.) but there were choices and they went out of their way to offer foods acceptable to my wife's dietary allergy. If you take a galley tour of the tiny kitchen aboard, you'll marvel at how the small crew in such a confined place can produce the variety and quality that they do. They also try to incorporate the wiener schnitzel and hungarian goulash type dishes where possible. We didn't experience the "odd or overcooked" meals that the other responder did. While you certainly don't have the number of choices or the 5 star quality that we're used to on the larger ships,. it was an overall pleasant experience. You also won't find any available room service 24 hours a day or late night snacks like the big ships offer. It's a small boat with a very extensive itinerary and that's the reason for the river cruise. Have a great time!

Bigreckster,

I think you might have taken the cruise just before ours. I wonder if the chef is the same on every leg. I know that the cruise directors change (ours was terrific"!) The food quality might also depend on what local supplies are available, etc. We didn't hate the food at all. I'm just a carnivore at heart, and although I was disappointed in the meat, I did fine with the terrific soups, salads, and buffets. It was indeed a great trip, and I would love to go on another one!

We were on the Legendary Danube cruise from Prague to Budapest aboard the Symphony. we thought there was nothing to complain about the meals. Breakfast was a daily winner with a variety of cold cuts, cerreals, eggs, bacon, sausages, fruites, juices, coffee or tea, etc. The lunch buffet was also very good and the chefs always tried to incorporate local specialyties, like liver dumpling soup (yes we liked it !!!), Wiener Schnitzel, Sauerbraten and Hungarian Goulash. I was looking through my "souvenir box" and found this menu for example: *Consomme with Herbs Pancake Stripes*** Green and White Asparagus tips on Herb Vinaigrette Sauce and Boiled Potatoes*** Grilled Lamb Chops with Provincial Sauce served with Bacon Green Beans and Potatoes Croquette -- OR -- Red Perch Filet on Herbs Cream Sauce served with Fresh Carrot Sticks and Rice Pilaf ***Ice Parfait Grand Marnier garnished with Fruits Sauce and Whipped Cream *** Red or White Wine Bottomless Glass comes with every dinner. I hope this will help you get prepared and know what to expect.

tban

We have booked our first river cruise ( the Danube, next summer on one of the Amadeaus ships).

Can anyone enlighten me on the type of entrees served at dinner on these ships? Steak, Prime Rib, Italian, or is it alot of "fancy", "gourmet", weird selections that I usually cannot even pronounce.

Hi Don,

Glad to see your name on this River cruise board and to find out that you have booked your first river cruise of the Danube on the Amadeus. Summer would be a great time to experience Prague, Nuremberg, Vienna, and Budapest (without the cold weather and snow?)...We are going on our first river cruise this X-mas to experience the X-mas markets. Besides, our daughter only wishes to spend a couple weeks cruising next Summer (she plans to continue her volunteer work at the clinics), and we have already booked a repeat Mediterranean cruise.

We heard that the menu on the Symphony is better than that of the others? So we will be on the Symphony and will be happy to share infos after our return!

Kim

Hi Don,

Glad to see your name on this River cruise board and to find out that you have booked your first river cruise of the Danube on the Amadeus. Summer would be a great time to experience Prague, Nuremberg, Vienna, and Budapest (without the cold weather and snow?)...We are going on our first river cruise this X-mas to experience the X-mas markets. Besides, our daughter only wishes to spend a couple weeks cruising next Summer (she plans to continue her volunteer work at the clinics), and we have already booked a repeat Mediterranean cruise.

We heard that the menu on the Symphony is better than that of the others? So we will be on the Symphony and will be happy to share infos after our return!

Kim

HI Kim, Good to hear from you to. Be sure and come back and report on your cruise. Some people have mentioned that when the River gets to high you have to bus to the cities. Where do you eat and sleep if that happens? Does it mean the cruise part is cancelled? Just curious.

OUt of 11 cruises the Med cruise 4 years ago is our favorite.

Went on Legendard Danube Artistry. I agree with OK breakfast, great lunch and frugal, unusual fare for dinner. The choices were few. After the first day, we ate a large lunch and were satisfied with the dinner. One of the funniest items was the midnight snack after the opera "Vegetable Soup".

HI Kim, Good to hear from you to. Be sure and come back and report on your cruise. Some people have mentioned that when the River gets to high you have to bus to the cities. Where do you eat and sleep if that happens? Does it mean the cruise part is cancelled? Just curious.

OUt of 11 cruises the Med cruise 4 years ago is our favorite.

Hi Don,

I bumped 2 posts that had infos on your question ("Amadeus Symphony" by Travelling fools and "Rhine/Main/Danube river conditions right now" by RBob). Hope it will be helpful.

Like you, the Med cruise is also our favorite (with the exception of the palaces in St. Petersburg)...

Kim

Archived