As if they needed it...one more reason to choose Island Wings

Priest

We just got home from our trip sailing on the NCL Star. We had the most amazing honeymoon either of us could have imagined. We arrived in Ketchikan on Friday to look out our stateroom window and see lots of blue sky and sun. We were excited about our early morning flight with Island Wings into Misty Fjords. We were the first tour of the morning and were greated on the dock by a beautiful Husky who couldn't get enough attention while Michelle was warming up the plane.

We lifted off and the scenery was spectacular....with one problem. The Misty Fjords were living up to their name. The sun was working against us by warming things up and causing a very heavy fog layer just off the ground. Looking down we could see a solid blanket of clouds with all the mountains peaking through. It was truely spectacular but they was no visable water meaning that we would not be able to make a landing. We landed back at the dock after an amazing 1 hour flight. Because we were scheduled to leave port quite early that day we could not make another flight which was offered...instead they refunded half of our money.

A huge thumbs up for a fantastic and professional organization who not only gave us a great flight but was as fair as could be....Michelle apologized so much for the weather that you could of sworn it was her fault. I can't wait to get back there and take a full flight with her.

Here is what it looked like out the aircraft window...

44836374_8dac02ac8c.jpg?v=0

I second the motion on Island Wings. My wife and I were southbound on the Coral Princess with our stop in Ketchikan on 15 Sep. It was a beautiful sunny day and we had a noon flight. There were only four of us on the flight so everyone had their own seat (which gave everyone a window view out each side of the plane) and one of us rode in the co-pilot seat. We had about a 40 minute flight into a beautiful moutain lake (Big Goat Lake) that was like glass that day. We spent about 35 minutes on the ground there, taking a short hike and getting some pictures. Michelle offered to take pictures of everyone and pose for photos with her plane (a beautiful 1959 DeHavilland that was in spectacular condition) then during the flight back she circled around several mountaintops so we could see mountain goats and eagles and then asked if we minded making a pass around a lake she was thinking of using in the future so she could get some pictures. We ended up having a little over 2 hours with her during the trip - which was the highlight of our cruise. I cannot say enough good about Michelle's service - extremely customer oriented and interested in educating folks about the area at the same time. Know some folks have complained about not hearing back from Jarod or others in a timely manner when booking, but they were excellent. Van was early to pick us up, and right where they said it would be. I would highly recommend Island Wings to anyone looking for the Misty Fjord tour.

Steve

Michelle and Island Wings are terrific. When we were picked up at the pier on Sept 16th, Jarod told us that the clouds were causing some trouble and Michelle was checking with some other pilots on the conditions. I was preparing myself to be let down by the weather, but that didn't happen. We started out with a full plane (7). My DH got to ride shotgun on the way out and he was thrilled. We flew below the clouds for a while and then Michelle found a hole and flew through. It was spectacular! The sun burned off most of the rest of the clouds in short order and we had the experience of a lifetime. When we landed on the lake Michelle apologized for the rough landing - we didn't even feel it. We stopped by a waterfall and took some great pics. We will be back in Alaska next summer and I am hoping to go with Island Wings again. It was my favorite part of the trip.

Archived