Getaway - Dining Package

momof3girlz

We are cruising in January on the Getaway and have a question regarding the UDP. When I go on "MyNCL" it seems that we do not have to purchase the package for the entire days of the cruise. Am I correct?

Honestly, we will probably go to Le Bistro ($20), Cagneys ($30), La Cucina ($15), Moderno ($20) as well as Ocean Blue and Sushi (both not included in package). So it looks like we are looking 4 nights ($87.32) but when I add up the surcharges I'm only at $85. What is the advantage of the UDP?

We are cruising in January on the Getaway and have a question regarding the UDP. When I go on "MyNCL" it seems that we do not have to purchase the package for the entire days of the cruise. Am I correct?

Honestly, we will probably go to Le Bistro ($20), Cagneys ($30), La Cucina ($15), Moderno ($20) as well as Ocean Blue and Sushi (both not included in package). So it looks like we are looking 4 nights ($87.32) but when I add up the surcharges I'm only at $85. What is the advantage of the UDP?

I think what you're referring to is the SDP (Specialty Dining Plan), as opposed to the Ultimate Dining Plan, which is no longer listed as an option and was only offered as a 7 day plan. The SDP replaced UDP. The cost of the 4 day SDP is only $74, plus 18% gratuity, so that brings it up to the cost you posted of $87.32. The benefit right there is that it only costs $2.32 more than the separate surcharges before the 18% gratuity is added. When you add the 18% gratuity to those surcharges, now the total is $100.30, so by buying the 4 day SDP you save $12.98. Add to that, without the SDP, Ocean Blue would cost you $39.00 per person ($46.02 with gratuity). Now the cost without the SDP is $100.30 for the four Specialties not counting Sushi + $46.02 for Ocean Blue = $146.32. If you use the SDP for Ocean Blue instead of La Cucina and pay for La Cucina separately, you would pay $87.32 for the SDP + $17.70 for La Cucina with gratuity plus $15 surcharge for Ocean Blue under SDP = $120.02, which saves you $26.30 per person. The actual prices without the SDP are a nickel cheaper than you list, but what's a nickel? Use the SDP for the more expensive restaurants and pay for the cheaper ones separately. If the per day cost of any of the SDPs are less than you'd pay for the restaurants you want to go to each day after you include gratuity, then the SDP is the better value. The 7 day SDP is only $20.06 per day gratuity included, 6 day is $20.45, 5 day is $21.00, and 4 day is $21.83. All of the Specialty Restaurants cost more than that, except La Cucina, so really anyone planning to visit three or more Specialties other than La Cucina would be better off with the SDP, especially if they plan to visit the more expensive ones. Even if there's an extra $15 surcharge that's still cheaper than paying separately for those places that require a surcharge as compared to their normal price. Since the Sushi place is a-la-carte normally, I don't know whether what you'd normally pay there is more or less than the daily SDP price plus $7.00 surcharge. You'd have to look at their menu to determine that, but when the SDP came out, many seemed to think the $7.00 surcharge was well worth it. Illusionarium, if you want to see that, can also be covered under SDP with a $10.00 surcharge for regular seats, $15.00 for premium floor seats. The regular cost is $24 for regular or $29 for premium seats, so it would NOT be worthwhile to use your SDP for the Illusionarium as it would cost you the daily cost of the SDP plus the surcharge, which for a 4 day plan would be $21.83 + $10.00 = $31.83 for regular seats, more than the normal cost of premium seats. Get the SDP and get reservations as soon as you can to get times that won't conflict with shows you want to see. Service can be slow, so allow 90 min to 2 hrs per meal, but reservations start at 5:30 I think for most restaurants.

Edited by Sandman799

I think what you're referring to is the SDP (Specialty Dining Plan), as opposed to the Ultimate Dining Plan, which is no longer listed as an option and was only offered as a 7 day plan. The SDP replaced UDP. The cost of the 4 day SDP is only $74, plus 18% gratuity, so that brings it up to the cost you posted of $87.32. The benefit right there is that it only costs $2.32 more than the separate surcharges before the 18% gratuity is added. When you add the 18% gratuity to those surcharges, now the total is $100.30, so by buying the 4 day SDP you save $12.98. Add to that, without the SDP, Ocean Blue would cost you $39.00 per person ($46.02 with gratuity). Now the cost without the SDP is $100.30 for the four Specialties not counting Sushi + $46.02 for Ocean Blue = $146.32. If you use the SDP for Ocean Blue instead of La Cucina and pay for La Cucina separately, you would pay $87.32 for the SDP + $17.70 for La Cucina with gratuity plus $15 surcharge for Ocean Blue under SDP = $120.02, which saves you $26.30 per person. The actual prices without the SDP are a nickel cheaper than you list, but what's a nickel? Use the SDP for the more expensive restaurants and pay for the cheaper ones separately. If the per day cost of any of the SDPs are less than you'd pay for the restaurants you want to go to each day after you include gratuity, then the SDP is the better value. The 7 day SDP is only $20.06 per day gratuity included, 6 day is $20.45, 5 day is $21.00, and 4 day is $21.83. All of the Specialty Restaurants cost more than that, except La Cucina, so really anyone planning to visit three or more Specialties other than La Cucina would be better off with the SDP, especially if they plan to visit the more expensive ones. Even if there's an extra $15 surcharge that's still cheaper than paying separately for those places that require a surcharge as compared to their normal price. Since the Sushi place is a-la-carte normally, I don't know whether what you'd normally pay there is more or less than the daily SDP price plus $7.00 surcharge. You'd have to look at their menu to determine that, but when the SDP came out, many seemed to think the $7.00 surcharge was well worth it. Illusionarium, if you want to see that, can also be covered under SDP with a $10.00 surcharge for regular seats, $15.00 for premium floor seats. The regular cost is $24 for regular or $29 for premium seats, so it would NOT be worthwhile to use your SDP for the Illusionarium as it would cost you the daily cost of the SDP plus the surcharge, which for a 4 day plan would be $21.83 + $10.00 = $31.83 for regular seats, more than the normal cost of premium seats. Get the SDP and get reservations as soon as you can to get times that won't conflict with shows you want to see. Service can be slow, so allow 90 min to 2 hrs per meal, but reservations start at 5:30 I think for most restaurants.

OMG-way too much math for either this early in the morning or vacation!

One advantage is you can order any item on the menu without a surcharge as is the case for lobster at Le Bistro (but well worth it)

• 5 months later...

I find the SDP fairly confusing as well, and I'm hoping someone can shed some light. Here are some questions we have:

1. If we don't purchase the SDP, the we can attend any specialty restaurant, but just have to pay a la carte, correct?

2. How do we know how mush menu items are are these restaurants? Are there menus with pricing we can view?

3. NCL lists the 3-day SDP at ~$69.00 per person. Does that include any surcharges and gratuities?

4. If we purchase the SDP, we can eat at various other restaurants for an "upcharge". But how does this work at say Sushi? We can get any item on the menu for $7.00, or as much as we want for $7.00? Just once throughout the trip (meaning, does the $7.00 upcharge get charged everyday (if we eat from there everyday)?

5. More philosophically, is it worth paying extra to eat in the specialty dining rooms when you've already paid for meals in the MDRs? Is the experience that good?

Sorry for all these questions, but we have never traveled NCL before (and we are excited!) and this specialty dining process is confusing.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can provide.

Seriously. Thank you so much for this summary. I've been trying to work this out for ages!!!