Caribbean Princess Review

bcollan

I can tell you the reality of PC dining on our Golden cruise last month: It worked great for our party of two every night.

We happened to just walk in and have a lovely dinner the first night, two of us seated at a table for four. On the way out we asked if we could have the same waiter every night and we got the same waiter AND the same table.

Now, On the CP I understand that all you have to do is pick up the phone and dial D.I.N.E. from your cabin to make reservations at any of the restaurants. Somebody correct me if that is wrong.

I think that you'll be fine with PC and you'd probably just get waitlisted this close to your sailing anyway.

As confusing as it sounds here it all makes sense once you get on board. Trust me.

Happy Cruising

Chris

[url="http://www.LifeIsCruising.com"]www.LifeIsCruising.com[/url]

Next up:
Caribbean Princess 06/26/04
Star Princess 10/24/04
Carnival Victory 12/19/04
Carnival Miracle 03/13/05

I will take a shot at it, but I am probably wrong. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]On the Carribean, there are 500 extra passengers. usually traditional is filled fast, so the extra will go Pc. They have to maximize space so they use the big tables, not knowing how many will show up, and when. So they put the tables for two into traditional, knowing that dining room will fill up on both seatings.If someone changes to Pc during the cruise, they can then put someone from the trad. waiting list, into that spot. They should have added a third Pc dining room. Maybe they will on Carribean 2. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Sue
7 days on Star Princess 10/24

I haven't tried PC dining, but also noticed a empty tables in the dining room for 2nd seating traditional. As Rob said, the backup would occur when everyone went to eat at the same time, which is exactly what happens on weekends around here if/when we decide to go out to eat.

The Captain's Welcome party was held in 3 different lounge areas at the same time, centered in the Atrium. Yep, the drinks were watered down. The rum punch was more punch than rum. Actually, I think they only put in some ru-... not even a half shot of rum.... [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] But I guess they save the full amount for those paying for drinks.

One very minor gripe I had about Movies Under the Stars... I didn't see the feature movie, but did watch "Finding Nemo" when they showed it on the big screen. As the sound got louder, they would turn the volume down. Then once it was more quiet, they'd turn it back up. I'm not sure if they did it for the reuglar movie all week, but at times it was a bit distracting. Other than that, I enjoyed seeing the movie out there. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] We had an aft starboard cabin on Aloha (A635) and never heard the movie during the week, so I don't think volume would be a problem.

Goldengirl, we didn't have any problems with kids on the inaugural. I have started another thread which lists the menus (I'm too lazy to see if you posted there already [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] ). It lists each theme night and the always available selections. I think another cruiser is in the process of uploading the Patters to show the activities and entertainment. The private island, Princess Cays, is very relaxing. I don't recall hammocks or massages, but they had *plenty* of lounge chairs (just like the deck chairs) available. Yes, you tender in from the ship, but the ride isn't bad (as long as the swells aren't big). I hope this helps! [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Caribbean Princess - 4/2004
Dawn Princess - 12/2003
Sea Princess - 12/2000
Emerald Seas - 7/1984

Excellent review and I agree with Bcollan. April 10th sailing. Food was good to very good. The PC dining was horrible first 2 nights. Reservation line had 30-40 people waiting when no reservations had 3 people. So we went on that line and told the we had a reservation and he said no problem. Got better after day 3. Dont think I like PC dining....It basically 5 nights of where are you from and how many cruises have you been on....After several night you want to start making things up. No rapport with wait staff.

Seemed like more people 'dressed' on the Dawn in October than this cruise.

No escargot or king crab legs or free cappuccino at dinner like the Dawn in October 2003. I think the buffet area was tight as well and not because of people. The stairways were tight as well. Seemed smaller than the Dawn. I agree they should have lemonade or fruit punch available as well as the iced tea. Do they really need to charge for Ice cream? They didnt on the Dawn in October

Although brand new I think the inside looked like the Dawn. In retrospect the Dawn looked pretty good for being older. Theater was nice with no obstructions and always a seat. I dont get the one arm bandits in club fusion...thats a waste.

Getting a massage you usually hear some sort of soothing sounds or music. I asked for some wither and got a blasting symphony with cymbals and all....I said at least its something but please turn it down.

Manager said how did I like the thermal spa? I said what is the point of it? She said relaxation. Then I said its hard to relax when you hear all the noise form upstairs (basketball court I think) She said but how did you like it? Again I said I didnt think it served its purpose. She said they had someone looking into more insulation.

Wireless Headphones in gym didnt seem to work...they said low batteries? Very nice equipment in the gym.

Tender operations seemed organized. extra people did not seem to add crowds. The regular chair hogs that just put a towel down and rarely sit down will always be the problem.

Volume during the day at the pool with the screen was good. Sometimes the volume was too loud and it sounded way too distorted. Unless the focus is the movie that sound should be background souns and not overbearing. Even when the Cruise staff were doing games the mikes were too loud.....we heard what was going on and making it louder didnt make it more fun or get us more involved.

Cannot walk all the way around on the promenade deck which is silly. Have to go up stairs at the bow. Silly silly silly. Promenade seemed smaller than on the Dawn as well.

No Grand Cayman......due to weather conditions....Darn.

Balcony on Caribe deck is huge. Huge!! Half covered half exposed...very very nice. Lots of hanging space and drawers. Shower is very tight. Seemed a bit bigger on the dawn. Could not bend at all and shower head was not removeable. Refrigerator is a nice touch

Comedians were good...two singers were good as well. Stage show was ok...said they had some stage problems??

Luggage out at 5PM on last day is ridiculous. My 12 am was still fine....Disembarkation was smooth.

I hope Princess reads some of our posts and gets the general feel....Still had a great time. Bad day cruising is better than a good day at the office.

Olympia 1970 Cunard Adventurer 1973 Fairwind 1975
Oceanic 1978 Volendam 1979
Cunard Princess 1980 Atlantic 1983 Oceanos 1984 Romantica
1997 Royal Princess 1998
Fascination 2000 2002 Ecstasy 2001 2002 Imagination 2001
Norway 2003 Dawn Princess 2003 Caribbean Princess 2004

Roe2ship:

You might want to try one of the traditional seatings. One of the problems with traditional is that many of the people who book will use the Anytime dining rooms if they want to see the shows. The shows are NOT timed for traditional diners. The Palm dining room is much larger than the equivalent rooms on the Grand and Golden. Most of the tables around us also had only two people at them for the entire cruise. (April 3 sailing).

The only time we've done Anytime, we asked to be seated at a table with others and never had to wait. The only times we were issued pagers was when we requested a larger table so that we could eat with others we had met on board.

Coming up:
Caribbean Princess Apr 3/04
Golden Princess Apr 10/04
Tahitian Princess Oct 14/04

We also just returned from the 4/10 sailing. Here are some of our impressions of the new ship:

Embarkation: Long lines at 12:50 but moved fast. Inside Express Line (Caribe) was longer than regular but moved faster. Platinum line emptyied and we were motioned over there for a very fast check (passport for identification purpose) and on our way.

Stateroom: C428 - the same beautiful design and decor as our Nov cruise on Golden. Large (9x9), partially covered balcony looking down on an entirely open Dolphin minisuite balcony, which appeared to be a trifle smaller than ours. Balcony furniture was upgraded a little and lounges had nice, comfortable pads on them.
The robes were not terry cloth, but a thinner, waffleweave fabric. Probably better for the tropics.

Spa: DH reported that exercise area seemed the same size as Golden but was much better equipped. Also felt that the location of the steam room and sauna was much better--big improvement. Didn't try any spa treatments.

Entertainment: The electrical problem mentioned before was partly fixed Fri and we were able to see a portion of "Let's Rock." It should be good. Easy to understand why they needed electricity to move the sets and effects. Other nights were filled in with singers, comedians, jugglers.

"Movies Under the Stars": This is a delightful experience on a calm night, lying back in a comfortable lounge watching a good movie. You are not given tickets but must call the always-busy Concierge Service to make a reservation as soon as possible. We went back for a second time on Thurs but the wind blowing through the speakers was amplified making a constant roaring sound that drowned out the dialogue at times. We left after 10 min.

PC Dining: We loved the freedom of it on the Golden and were looking forward to the same. But it was a totally different experience. There were 2 very long lines at the door, one for those with reservations and one for those without. Also, there were many empty tables inside. We asked our waiter about the problem of the lines and he said "it is not our problem, just a problem with the passengers not making reservations. We were trained in how it should run but passengers have to reserve for week." (To us, this takes away the freedom of Personal Choice.) Asked about the pagers used by other ships, he said that they had them but "not using them now." The next day we called for reservations and, after spending most of the morning getting through to the always-busy Concierge line, could only get them for 5:30 or 9:00 for the rest of the week. It seems that the reservations system is being badly misused by some who reserve times for the entire week just in case they want them and then go elsewhere, leaving so many empty tables and long lines at the door. Sort of like the chair hogs by the pool.

Club Caribe: This is a great innovation and should help relieve the dining room situation. The area appears to be part of Horizon Court during the day but around 5 pm the tables are set with tableclothes, candles, etc. You are seated and can order drinks and then go to the buffet when you want. The menu is the same as the dining rooms plus some more exotic choices. We enjoyed lobster and beef wellington.

Sterling Steakhouse: A great meal, well worth the $15 surcharge for the quality, service and quiet. No trouble getting reservations that same day and no wait.

Liquor: For some reason, the liquor we bought in Montego Bay and Cozumel was not taken from us when we returned to the ship from port. Did anyone else have this experience?

Overall, it was a wonderful cruise and we are already planning another on this ship in Nov. Hopefully, by then the PC dining problem will be solved.

Ron and Anne

If you choose traditional, you can switch to PC but not vice versa, correct? The same rule should apply [B]both[/B] ways. If [I]confirmed[/I] traditional diners are occupying the PC dining room with a reservation, this is obviously causing chaos. They are basically taking up two different tables. As the previous post said it is becoming like a chair hog situation. I think the Princess should make a rule if you are confirmed traditional, you cannot switch either.

Caribbean Princess 7/03/04
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;7;3;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

We just got off the CP and had traditional dining. I think I will stick with that. We had the early seating and always made it to the shows. We felt they were timed perfectly. There were several empty tables in Traditional. Many for 2. Throughout the week different people would show up at these tables so maybe they filled them when the other rooms are full.

Caribbean Princess 4-10
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008000&cdt=2004;4;10;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

Archived