Sad lack of special needs accommodation on Royal Caribbean

CAN. NOT WILL. and they WILL NOT BE ABLE TO BE ALL THINGS FOR ALL PEOPLE.

some people just have extremely unrealistic expectations and demands.

we, none of us, knows why the on board staff refused to 'try' perhaps an offer was made that was unacceptable. who knows. perhaps, and I still say this is the most likely scenario, is that the younger club was at or over capacity and they WERE NOT ABLE TO HANDLE another body.. special needs or otherwise.

I AM a former special needs a child and am currently a special needs adult. I have learned that no matter how badly I want to be included in some things and and have a 'normal life' that there will be times and places WHERE THAT WILL NOT HAPPEN. it is a fact of life and no one owes me that experience and no one is required to go overboard and cater to my every desire.

yeah yeah we all want our kids to be treated respectfully and normally and just like any other kid. but newsflash sometimes. that just plain is not an option.everyone wants their kids to get special treatment in the interest of 'fairness'.

LIFE IS NOT FAIR.

if you want a family vacation that will cater to your explicit demands then stay with the cruise lines that have done so in the past or do Disney

After reading all the posts...and holding my tongue(fingers;))...I have come to the conclusion that you have said it best...

Life is not Fair!

Edited by land lover

We sailed July 4-11 from Puerto Rico with a family of 5, three teenage sons. My youngest son is 14 and has Down syndrome. He is a sweet boy and fairly independent but could never navigate around a ship such as this one on his own. We were told in advance via RC customer support to talk to the Adventure Ocean mgr and they would "work with us" so that he could participate. When we boarded we did just that, but they would not let him be in a younger group than his chronological age despite his mental delay and the fact that he needed to be in the next youngest room so he could be safely signed in and out, not just come and go as the teens do. We tried the manager and guest services, they flatly refused. We were frustrated and saddened, and our son had to go with us to shows and bars that he did not enjoy all the time on the ship. To spend so much money and be told to expect great service, we were saddened and disappointed, and especially sad for our son who is used to being able to play with other kids wherever he goes.We have cruised 5 times, but will not be sailing with Royal Caribbean again.

This is disappointing to hear. I haven't read other responses because I'm busy at the moment so if someone else mentioned it, I apologize. I find it strange that they don't have a policy for guests with Down Syndrome. They have made a big deal about the Autism Certification and allow for a lot of flexibility with age groups in those cases, so why not Down Syndrome as well.

I would definitely recommend that you reach out to someone in their corporate offices, perhaps the Access Department (866) 592-7225 and let them know that the ship board staff did not help.

Big news this week was a settlement with Carnival and their lack of ADA accommodations.

Your attitude makes me sad, because you seem to want to read negativity into others' comments that might not have been there.

There are differences between a 9 year old and a 14 year old that go beyond just mental and social development. Acknowledging that does not mean that one is implying that, "most older boys are somehow physically or sexually aggressive."

Please do enlighten me as to what these dangerous differences are! Shockingly I let my children in this age range PLAY OUTSIDE ALONE with other children in this age range! (Shame on me??!!) They also practice daily and compete on swim team wearing only speedos (gasp!) all summer long with kids in a wider age range than this. (Child abuse??!!)

This child should have been given the opportunity to play in the club group that was most appropriate and he was denied that opportunity. Plain and simple.

Please do enlighten me as to what these dangerous differences are! Shockingly I let my children in this age range PLAY OUTSIDE ALONE with other children in this age range! (Shame on me??!!) They also practice daily and compete on swim team wearing only speedos (gasp!) all summer long with kids in a wider age range than this. (Child abuse??!!)

This child should have been given the opportunity to play in the club group that was most appropriate and he was denied that opportunity. Plain and simple.

I didn't say "dangerous differences." Hence, my point. You're trying to demonize whatever other people say. Now, I'll bow out of the conversation and let you go on with your dramatic histrionics. :rolleyes:

Thanks, everyone. I just wanted him in one group younger (can't remember the cut off, but believe it was 12), and as he is quite small for his size, no issues there. He plays sports in leagues one group under, etc., and never had an issue. Unless you have a special needs child, it is hard to understand how difficult it can be to have people simply be flexible -- and remember, I was told in advance over the phone by RC customer service that they would try to accommodate. The fact is a child with a serious mental delay (such as Down syndrome) cannot find his or her way around on a ship, and needs to be able to be signed in and out. Or at least they should have an alternative in the regular teen room -- perhaps a fee for a companion in the room. But that group is still way too old for him, and none of the activities are things that he can do, yet, whereas in that next-youngest room was everything he loves and is good at (Wii, younger age level games, etc). That is not a difficult thing to accommodate, especially when they have my cell phone and if there were any problems they could simply have called us. Their "policies" are inflexible and as one of you noted, apparently they do make allowances (at least, officially), they simply wouldn't on board. Taking a cruise only for special needs sort of defeats the purpose of inclusivity that our schools and organizations all over the world have adopted. I appreciate the feedback, and, yes, I wrote to the president, the CEO and filled out the survey. I don't expect it to do any good, but if somehow it can make a family in the future be able to have a more enjoyable and relaxing trip, it'll still be worth it.

I do have a special needs chiild, and had a sister with down syndrome, perhaps the solution to your problem was to have you and your husband, or an older child, take turns with your special needs child. If you were a family of five, four of you taking turns doesn't seem to awful. He is your responsbility, and rules are rules, unfortunate in your situation, but sometimes you have to bite the bullet. I would never ask for special favors for my child, nor would my mom for my sister, we just split the responsibility among family members.

I have seen many down syndrome children/adults on RCCL, and really enjoying themselves, whether in the pool, dancing, etc. There is one young man, who iis down syndrome, who has 30 plus cruises with RCCL, so they must be doing something right.

So sad to hear this. I believe they could have assigned a buddy for your sons group. I was an E.A. For many years and absolutely loved working with students with Downs Syndrome. It could have been handled in a much more sensitive and positive way and they need to rethink their policies to accommodate the rights of all young passengers. I visited the youth program while on their ships afew years ago and was impressed was the programming and staff but this issue is very important and perhaps extra staff needs to be hired and trained in accommodation to all children.

I applaud you for posting this issue and I would suggest that you continue to advocate for your son, as I have for my son with disability. I think you are spot on and as I said I would keep squeaking and create some publicity on your experience and then change will occur. Cruise lines such as Royal advertise themselves as family fun and we all know that families come in all shapes, sizes and diverse dynamics. If you do so the cruise lines will hire trained staff and provide programming that meets the needs of all families and I believe it can be done. Bravo!

I was on Celebrity Constellation last month and there were families with children with Downs Syndrome and I was very impressed with how their children were treated. For a so called adult cruise line they pulled out all the stops to treat them like gold. You might want to try them.

• 1 month later...
This is disappointing to hear. I haven't read other responses because I'm busy at the moment so if someone else mentioned it, I apologize. I find it strange that they don't have a policy for guests with Down Syndrome. They have made a big deal about the Autism Certification and allow for a lot of flexibility with age groups in those cases, so why not Down Syndrome as well.

I would definitely recommend that you reach out to someone in their corporate offices, perhaps the Access Department (866) 592-7225 and let them know that the ship board staff did not help.

After our recent cruise I have been looking at the boards to see if our experience on RCCL was an anomaly. My biggest complaint is that like "smileperry" mentions above is that they have press releases about how they have the Autism on the Seas Certification - first bronze, then silver.... press releases in USA Today, NY Times...They have great sounding services on their website and from their CSRs.... and I didn't encounter anyone onboard who knew anything about it. Here is what services they are supposedly offering based on the silver certification: http://www.autismontheseas.com/foundation-programs/autism-friendly-cruise-line-program/the-standard-autism-friendly

If they are going to talk the talk they need to walk the walk. In our case we didn't even want to access the Adventure Ocean services. But to not have anyone who knows about the adapted muster drill, priority embarking/disembarking, meal seating - these are the most basic things that they should have even without their "certification". I cynically feel their certification is a marketing ploy that they are not following through on. If they are going to advertise these services either on their website or via their CSRs, they need to follow through and the people on the ship need to know about them. I have seen interviews where they talk about "accessible cruising being a huge growth market" http://www.travelmarketreport.com/articles/Accessible-Cruising-Is-a-Huge-Growth-Market and I feel they are trying to tap into this without following through with their promises.

I am curious if the OP ended up letting the Access Department know her experience. I wrote the head of the department, Ron Pettit. It took him about a month to respond after I sent a reminder email. Some of his responses to our concerns were a little vague. It will be interesting to see what other people have as experiences going forward.

I am very sorry this happened.

From a liability point of view, I can definitely see the reasons for the denial.

Even though, you may not think the physical size is different- there are some very significant physical differences.

The staff is not trained, nor expected to be in the role this may require?

You are asking for an exception- that clearly indicates potential "problems" . That opens up a whole range of precautions that have to be addressed. It is not a health care facility, the staff are preforming activities for groups of children. They aren't going to be able to offer any "special" supervision, activities etc.

You know this child, they do not. Always, the most conservative decisions have to be made. They aren't going to do a "trial" because with just that request- it can be interpreted, that it may not "work out", which is a risk they do not want to take, nor are trained for.

Not trying to create an argument- In the future- perhaps, staying with him would open more options, try and find someone on roll calls- even other adults that could offer, some friendship? Take a companion along?

I just would not expect "exceptions" to be anything I would count on or depend on.

I have worked with adults and children with mental and physical needs, and we have a son who is wheelchair bound. That being said, I agree with you, Budget Queen..

And in agreement with others, please try the buddy cruises, and the Autism at Sea. I am sorry you had troubles on your vacation. Having a special needs child can be trying, but explore ALL options...

I'm very sorry to hear they did not provide decent accommodations for your son. My coworker, who also has a son with down syndrome, recently told me about a Buddy Cruise being offered in October with Royal Caribbean geared toward families with children with disabilities. Here is the link if that is something you might be interested in: http://buddycruise.org/pages/Default.aspx.

We are a part of the Buddy Cruise that will set sail from FLL on October 25, 2015. This will be our fifth Buddy Cruise and we are hooked! The ship crew, the Buddy Cruise families and most passengers are so accommodating to all of our children and adults with a very wide spectrum of abilities. There will be extra activities; dances, costume parties, carnivals, book readings, Buddy Walk and giveaways while onboard and I am constantly amazed at the number of ship staff and regular passengers who will take part in activities put on for our group! We welcome ALL to join us, regardless of abilities!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

NEcruisers????

We are a part of the Buddy Cruise that will set sail from FLL on October 25, 2015. This will be our fifth Buddy Cruise and we are hooked! The ship crew, the Buddy Cruise families and most passengers are so accommodating to all of our children and adults with a very wide spectrum of abilities. There will be extra activities; dances, costume parties, carnivals, book readings, Buddy Walk and giveaways while onboard and I am constantly amazed at the number of ship staff and regular passengers who will take part in activities put on for our group! We welcome ALL to join us, regardless of abilities!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

NEcruisers????

Do they cruise out of multiple ports at multiple times of the year?

I am very sorry this happened to you. I am also very sorry about some of the reactions. It is apparent from your post that you were promised accommodations for your son and you were not provided with them. I do not think your request in unreasonable. Ether you were misinformed prior to your cruise or the staff did not accommodate you as advertised, I agree that the mistake is not yours, but RCI's. Even if you made assumptions, those assumptions were made based on reassurances from them. I also don't think you were rigid or unreasonable with your request, especially if your son is on the small side. They could have at least tried it!

This is a very charged topic of course.

I have an 11 yo with Aspergers and I have learned that, unfortunately, even those who claim to be educated professionals will sometimes take a what I personally think an inhumane approach. Up until recently I have avoided cruising with my kids. Dealing with the judgement is enough for me while I am not on vacation. However I now have two future cruises booked with the kids, both on RCI. I hope it will work out for us. I hope this is made up to you in some form.