Internet access on cruise ships

tack42

I don't know about the Elation specifically, but if you ask on the Carnival board I'm sure someone there will know.

In general though, yes, most ships have an internet cafe. It's typically web access only, about the speed of dial-up, and costs an average of 50 cents per minute. Some lines have packages you can buy to bring the cost down a bit. Some newer ships have wireless access, or in cabin access if you bring your laptop. Some ships also have their own "cell towers" so your cell phone works while as sea as well.

I'm sure someone else can confirmly with absolute certainty, but I'm pretty sure that all mainstream cruise ships now have internet cafes. However, be prepared for fairly high usage rates (somewhere between 25¢ and 75¢ a minute) along with slow connection speeds. You might want to consider using internet cafes located in your ports of call.

Carnival Fascination had internet access. We didn't have far to go to find it. When we did Celebrity Zenith, it was in the library and we finally found it after reading our floor layout maps that were given to us at the beginning of the cruise. It's a good way to e-mail family back home about your trip.

• 2 weeks later...

Where is the internet cafe located on the Carnival Miracle? I don't have a laptop, but I will need to use the internet briefly on the last night of our cruise to print out our boarding passes for our flight the next day. Does anyone know if the internet cafe is open all the time? (I've never used an internet cafe, so I don't have a clue about them)

I will need to use the internet briefly on the last night of our cruise to print out our boarding passes for our flight the next day.

Don't wait too late to take care of this task. On the last night, they may close down the internet cafe earlier than usual since they want to capture all of your final charges for your shipboard account. Most airlines allow you to print boarding passes within 24 hours of your flight. Try doing it late afternoon or early evening.

Don't wait too late to take care of this task. On the last night, they may close down the internet cafe earlier than usual since they want to capture all of your final charges for your shipboard account. Most airlines allow you to print boarding passes within 24 hours of your flight. Try doing it late afternoon or early evening.

Thanks for that tip, john. Our flight is at 4 pm on Sunday, so I will print our passes out shortly after 4 pm on Saturday.

I ask the crew for recommendations on internet cafes in ports I am not familiar with. I HAVE to stay in touch with my business via email. On RCI - some ships - I can bring my laptop and pay a flat fee for the week. I refuse to pay the by-the-minute charges the lines assess.

Thanks for that tip, john. Our flight is at 4 pm on Sunday, so I will print our passes out shortly after 4 pm on Saturday.
Some (Southwest and maybe others) will not let you print your boarding pass until the day of travel. That means in your case not until 12:01 Sunday morning. On Carnival's Elation this summer you could only use the internet until 10 p.m. of the last night of the cruise UNLESS you had signed upfor a package and had minutes left. Then you could use those minutes until 10 a.m. the morning of disembarking. I saved some minutes and printed my boarding pass about 12:15 a.m.

Some (Southwest and maybe others) will not let you print your boarding pass until the day of travel. That means in your case not until 12:01 Sunday morning.

Good news, ron! Southwest has just recently changed their policy and you can now print your boarding pass up to 24 hours before your flight. Much more convenient than trying to stay up until midnight the night before your flight! We will be on Southwest, they have the best schedule for us, and are the cheapest by far. Since our flight is at 4 pm on Sunday, I can print out my boarding pass anytime after 4 pm on Saturday.

Good news, ron! Southwest has just recently changed their policy and you can now print your boarding pass up to 24 hours before your flight. Much more convenient than trying to stay up until midnight the night before your flight! We will be on Southwest, they have the best schedule for us, and are the cheapest by far. Since our flight is at 4 pm on Sunday, I can print out my boarding pass anytime after 4 pm on Saturday.
Wow! I recently made a request for this when was speaking on the telephone to a Southwest customer service representative. I wonder if I'm the one who pulled the string?!?

Archived