Cell phones on Alaska cruises for Canadians

auntiebarbie

We leave next week and are excited to leave our bc home and drive to the ship. But I'm confused about the data on board and in ports. I believe On board we will sign up for the ship's wifi. But does that work only when we are at sea?

And since our carrier is Canadian (Bell) any of the American companies like Verizon or AT&T won't work for us. Should I get a holiday data plan? Do Any Canadians have any experience or advice?

We have cruised before a few times but it has been awhile and it was before Smart phones and data charges

Thank you

We leave next week and are excited to leave our bc home and drive to the ship. But I'm confused about the data on board and in ports. I believe On board we will sign up for the ship's wifi. But does that work only when we are at sea?

And since our carrier is Canadian (Bell) any of the American companies like Verizon or AT&T won't work for us. Should I get a holiday data plan? Do Any Canadians have any experience or advice?

We have cruised before a few times but it has been awhile and it was before Smart phones and data charges

Thank you

To clarify, is your phone a monthly contract or a prepaid phone.

Prepaid phones typically won't work in Alaska. Monthly contract phones will roam when in Alaska.

With regards to coverage.... once the ship undocks, their satellite service will be turned on and your phone will likely default to that service. Very expensive as roaming can be calculated from the ship's home port (South America? Carribean?).

On my trip.... I set my phone to "manual carrier selection". Thus my phone rejects the ships satellite service. In the BC inside passage, you will find random national coverage with Telus (Bell partners with Telus on the West Coast) along Vancouver Island. Reception is best on the outside cabins or on the top deck. You will also get reception around Prince Rupert.

Alaskan waters is a deadzone (don't expect reception around the glaciers), but you can have your phone roaming on ATT when the ship is in port.

Another option is to pick up an ATT sim card by crossing the South border (Bellingham?). If you are not taking an excursion first thing you dock, you can look for an ATT retailer in port. Then again, is your phone unlocked?

Does Bell offer an EasyRoam package like Telus for $7 a day? This makes it super easy to extend your plan into Alaska for your port days.

http://www.telus.com/en/bc/mobility/travel/us-easy-roam.jsp

Edited by xlxo

Thank you very much for your informative reply. I'm not sure why I didn't think of getting an ATT SIM card as that is what we do we when we travel in Europe. My phone is a contract and unlocked. But if I put in an ATT SIM card doesn't not then become prepaid. Or is it just Canadian prepaid phones that don't work. I'm also going to call Bell & see about their roaming plans.

Barb

My phone is a contract and unlocked. But if I put in an ATT SIM card doesn't not then become prepaid. Or is it just Canadian prepaid phones that don't work. I'm also going to call Bell & see about their roaming plans.

Barb

A contract phone will give you the option for roaming charges when in an Alaskan port.

Yes, get yourself an ATT SIM card. It will likely be prepaid. Being prepaid, you don't need to worry about roaming charges on the ship. Note you will not have coverage when away from your Alaskan ports.

Thank you very much for your informative reply. I'm not sure why I didn't think of getting an ATT SIM card as that is what we do we when we travel in Europe. My phone is a contract and unlocked. But if I put in an ATT SIM card doesn't not then become prepaid. Or is it just Canadian prepaid phones that don't work. I'm also going to call Bell & see about their roaming plans.

Barb

I took my Bell phone to Alaska, and arranged for a text/voice/data plan in advance. It was completely unreliable :( and I won't do that again. Any solution other than their stupid "service" would be an improvement. For me, even having NO phone would have been an improvement since I had told my clients they'd be able to contact me while I was away.

• 5 weeks later...

We are sailing on Saturday and will just turn our phones off. We will take some pictures with the iPad and send them when we can get some free wifi in ports. The iPad is not connected to any phone number, just email so no charges and I don't have to keep checking to see what wifi server I am on.