Has Anyone Done a Round Trip Crossing Back To Back?

Paul NH

I am sure this was brought up in the past, but I cannot find it in a search.

Has anyone ever done a back-to-back round trip crossing, and if so, what did they think of it? Was it a good time, or is it too long of a time without getting off (with the exception of the partial day dock day).

There did not seem to be enough time to fully enjoy the ship on our last crossing - too many things to see, things to do, promenades to walk, etc. We are thinking about doing a non-stop round trip so that we can take in both voyages at a more relaxed pace. But I am wondering if anyone did it and instead found themselves ready to get off shortly into the second leg of the crossing.

Paul

Yes we did a back to back in July. We spent the last days wondering if it was possible to stow away somewhere so we could stay on for longer. We love sea days and get a bit weary of the island a day routine of Carabean cruises, so all those days of never seeing land are ideal for us, and the days race by.

The downside is that some of the lectures and shows are duplicated, but that means we can do all the things we missed on the first crossing.

David.

Hi

l have done several back to backs on QE2 in the late 80sand early 90s and would highly recommend them, from the moment you sail past the needles till ambrose there is nothing save for the ever changing North Atlantic, as for being bored, far from it, and there was the glamour of the formal nights (no exceptions) except for sailing night and the night before landing in New York, The whole ship took on a different atmosphere as opposed to on a cruise and travelling at some 28 knots in itself was quite amazing. Mind you l must admit for me QE2 was the holiday as well as the life onboard. So yes l would highly recommend a round trip transatlantic, and as for NY sailing up the hudson was a mind blowing experience never to be forgotten and the docking in Manhatten, you do hit the street running!!! after a morning coach tour and lunch somewhere, it was back to the QE2 for another tranquil 5 day crossing of the atlantic,

so yes go for it !!!!

Hi

We sailed a 20-day r/t on QE 2 in April/May 2001... a 13-day crossing from NY to Southampton via Ft Lauderdale, Azores, Lisbon, Cherborg; and then a 7-day crossing to New York via Le Havre.

We had cabin 3123 which is a P3 cabin so we definately had enough "space" to live for 20-days... and we had so much fun! Lots of formal nights... inc FIVE in a row from Ft Lauderdale to Azores! And we even rescued a Spanish fisherman who was injured on his boat.... nautical adventure.

Michael

Thanks all for the feedback. I just noticed something interesting. We are considering leaving New York on April 15, and it seems that the QM2 arrives on Friday April 21, but does not depart from Southampton until Sunday, April 23! I am guessing this is because of some logistics involved in having just ended their Carribean tour of duty, i.e. staff turnover (and vacuuming all that sand out of the carpets.) I thought it had something to do with Hamburg, but do not see any evidence that she continues over that way.

Anyway, looks to be a nice opportunity to hop off the ship and enjoy a couple of days in the Southampton area - including the Maritime Museum.

The only thing I am not crazy about is the new Brooklyn departure. Sigh. It may affect my decision ultimately. I wonder if preparation of the pier area will fall behind schedule and whether the April 15 departure will be somewhat chaotic as a result? I saw the other post where they have a makeshift building in place.

Paul:

In 2003 I did a back to back on the QE2. I loved it, but as Mufi said, there is a certain amount of duplication on the programming. Some parts are so good you may want to attend twice! You have a variety of "seas" to experience over 12 days, so that is exciting, too. I went Eastbound, stayed three days in London/Bournemouth and went back on the Westbound. I notice that when there are a couple of days layover, it is because there is a little trip being done in between. Titanic buffs should note that we passed the closest point at 5 p.m. Eastbound, 5 a.m. (with a pink and pale blue dawn afterwards) Westbound.

Thank you for T. at Two.

Finch

Having sailed eastbound on QM II the summer of 2004, we found the concept of trans atlantic roundtrip appealing. We have booked HAL MAASDAM July 1st out of Boston 18 days to Rotterdam. We then fly Amsterdam to Heathrow with a Cunard transfer to Southampton and leave the same day for NYC aboard QM II.

• 3 weeks later...

I did a rountrip on QE2 in 1995, the weather was extreme in both directions, Westbound really rough and eastbound flat calm. It was one of life most memorable experiances.

With the super offers now available on QM2 for roundtrip cruises, now is the time. Dont delay.

Continued thanks to all for the feedback. We are leaning heavily towards doing the April 15 and April 23 passages.

Elaine61 noted in her recent posts that shows are presented before dinner for second seating. We were in second seating in June and I have to agree that the times of the shows are not very convenient, before dinner. I much more prefer to have a drink in a lounge and socialize before dinner than go to a show. A show before dinner seems out of whack.

Anyway, the reason I bring this up is that we only found the time to see one show in the Royal Court Theater on our eastbound (not including the John Cleese interviews). Since we are going to request second seating again (much more relaxed pace), we will probably have trouble again seeing the shows - so I am not too worried about the duplication of shows going both ways. We should be so lucky to notice that this time around!

Overall, it sounds like most did not find a back-to-back too long.

Paul

Paul:

I'd certainly go for it. A double crossing through all that open sea sound wonderful. Just promise you'll say hello to the Commodore club for me.

If you were to have a few days in Southhampton, I'm sure your boys would love to see Stonehenge is you didn't already do that this summer.

By the way, your book of terrific. Life is so busy these days that my progress is slow. My wife and I think your illustration style is great.

Believe it or not, I am supposed to be on a 3-day Bahamas cruise with Royal Caribbean this weekend for business. Wonder how the seas are going to look with Wilma closing in...

Best,

Dan

I just confirmed that the QM2 is on a Southampton-to-Southampton trip on April 21 to 23, explaining the two day hole in their published itinerary. It is a private trip.

Also, according to Cunard's U.S. office, there are no special deals for back-to-back crossings. In the past, with air fare a part of their published rates, I think they used to offer 50% off on the return leg. Now that air fare will no longer be a part of their standard rates, the return trip apparently does not get a discount if you count on their published early booking rates.

Cruising Ken, I am still waiting for information on what you menat by "With the super offers now available on QM2 for roundtrip cruises, now is the time."

Paul

• 4 weeks later...

I see there is another who did a back to back in April 2004!

However we went both ways on the QE2, which was a wonderful time. It was the first proper holiday that my then fiancee (now my wife) and I took together.

The entry to New York is really quite something. I made my fiancee get up to see the narrows bridge, although she then retired again. After breakfast we then retook our positions for sailing up the Hudson.

Wonderful. Best way to see New York. We both found the real thing disappointing. Indeed both times we have had a day in New York we have been back on board in time for lunch!

I'm just sorry that the back to back is no more.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello!

I did a return crossing from SOuthampton in October. It was fantastic. The ship is a wonder. There is so much to do on board, you'll never manage to do all that you expect. Also, you can do nothing, and just relax, walk on the open decks and promenade, have a drink at one of the bars, enjoy the food, etc... Indeed, being at sea 5 full days (per crossing) is quite an experience. Wheater changes constantly! Arriving in NY (we did it at night) was certainly one of the high light of our voyage.

I'm glad I had 12 days to enjoy the ship's facilities - and still, I don't think I visited every nook and cranny!

A return crossing is surely something to be taken!

Jacque O, Paris

Archived