Verizon International Plan -- Liberty of the Seas

jm485

Thanks so much! I'll do that. I'm mainly using it to communicate via text on board w/ another family traveling with us.

I plan to turn Cellular Data completely off. I was just looking in settings for the background refresh you mentioned, but I don't see that anywhere. Under the App & iTune Store (in General Settings), I see where I can opt to "use cellular data". Is that what you're talking about? If not, where can I turn off the background refresh?

Settings:General:Background App Refresh

We're on Navigator October 17th-25th (woohoo!). My plan was to pay for Internet on one device, and let the 21yo use that on her iPhone. She can text that way via iMessage (after turning off her cellular data and voice). When I need to check my office email, I can just have her log off and then connect on my laptop. I was also going to pay the $40 for Verizon's plan to get voice and text on my phone (I would not use data via cell). As I understand it, I'd have 100 talk minutes and 100 outgoing texts, and unlimited incoming texts. That would be plenty for keeping up with what's going on back at home. Plus, I could text the 21yo to communicate on the ship.

Now, I went to VZW to add the plan and I have a problem! It looks like I can either start it retroactive on my monthly plan date, which is September 23rd, or I can prorate it. If I add it retroactively, it will cut off (or I'll have to pay for a full second month!) on October 23rd. If wait until say October 17th to add it, it prorates my entire plan! I don't think it's an issue on overages due to proration, but I hate changing my plan date as it has always been the 23rd through the 22nd of each month. Ugh! I wish they would just let me add it without changing my current plan!

Because of this, I am now thinking about not adding it at all, and just paying for a 2nd device on the ship's Internet so I can text, and then if I do need to make a call, just pay the per-minute rates. I probably won't call much, but I want to be able to do so if needed. I am not a big "texter", but for vacation, that's the best way to stay in touch, plus I'll have email.

Opinions? Advice? Experiences?