Ancient Wonders Questions

Hi, Just a couple of questions about the Ancient Wonders Cruise aboard spirit.

We are flying from Manchester at the end of the month (7.00am land 13.20pm) and as long as there are no delays

1. Will we have time to go ashore and look around before any lifeboat drill?

2. Is the port near the centre of Marmaris and if not is there anything to do or see around . the port?

Thanks in advance,

Rick.

Edited by rickpo

We arrive around the same time in September. Decided to book a taxi through Holiday Extra,s cost is £87 return. Hopefully will get there a lot quicker than the coach so we can get off and have a walk in the harbour. Depending on flight not being delayed of course !!!

Hopefully will get there a lot quicker than the coach

not really imo.... the coach doesn't hang about ... its a fast road.... over the mountain:eek:

the main risk of delay will be queues for immigration at the port

We did this cruise last month and had the same question. The transfer from the airport was very quick. Although we book taxis in other ports, I don't think it's worth it in this case. We did get off the ship and wandered round the marina calling at the Migros supermarket to stock up with Diet Coke. There's free wifi in the shelter just before entering the port building

Maybe we were lucky. Within 5 minutes of getting on the coach, it was away. We weren't the first coach either. But I do know what you mean.....In Mexico we booked a taxi and we were at the hotel 90 minutes before the coach arrived.

It's not just the transfer time, it's the waiting for everyone to get on the coach, with a Taxi it's just jump in and go, hopefully !!!

I'm not sure that private taxis will be allowed into the secure port area? security is quite high

you may have to walk from the port gates (with your luggage) to the cruise terminal (in fact you may have a problem getting in and may have to wait for someone from the ship to walk you in)

we saw a group of people (with bags) waiting at the port gates when we were leaving on the coaches a couple of weeks ago

another thought.... we cruised on spirit ex marmaris in july, on arrival in dalaman our bags were amongst the last on the carousel (for some reason they usually are.... groan) :(

anyway

we were the last people from that flight to make it to the coach and they were all clearly waiting for us (they nearly gave us a round of applause when we finaly boarded):p

obviously they knew we were coming and waited for us .... so? have you informed thomsons that you have booked a private transfer? if not they may wait for you? and delay the coach (with 3 dozen other people onboard eager to get to the ship)

I,ve just called Holiday Taxis who I booked through a link from Thomson website and they have rung the Taxi Company to confirm they can enter the Port and they drop you off at the Ship. Will definately let Thomsons know we are getting a Taxi. Wouldn,t dream of just going and not saying anything. :)

We were on the spirit in July..From the time of collecting our luggage, boarding the coach and setting off was only around fifteen minutes...it appears once a coach was full they leave no hanging about. The transfer took an hour and a half. On arrival at port they were expecting us and had plenty staff and counters open. A very sleek operation. The safety drill was at 8.30 .

I,ve just called Holiday Taxis who I booked through a link from Thomson website and they have rung the Taxi Company to confirm they can enter the Port and they drop you off at the Ship. Will definately let Thomsons know we are getting a Taxi. Wouldn,t dream of just going and not saying anything. :)

they will have to drop you at the check in area not the ship, they could not drop you alongside the ship anyway as you have to walk through security at the terminal. all taxis are allowed in to the port area and pick up/drop off outside the terminal anyway.