Inaugural Sailing Caribbean Princess - Any questions?

sparkle56

We just returned from the Inaugural sailing of the Caribbean Princess. . .a magnificent ship and the experience was wonderful. I will try to write a review in the next day or so but until then am open to any questions you might have.

Did you feel that the ship had the extra 500 passengers? Are the dining rooms open for breakfast and lunch? Did you try any of the specialty restaurants? If you did Personal Choice, would you comment on that please. Thank you.

Caribbean Princess 7/03/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;7;3;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Can't wait to read your review. Did you have a balcony cabin? If so, are they nice?

look forward to hearing from you.

Rusty

stikdog_e0.gif

CARRIBEAN PRINCESS JAN 2005

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2005;01;22;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

CARNIVAL'S LEGEND JAN 2003

CELEBRITY'S CENTURY DEC 2003

cflbird2dog_e0.gif

We did not eat at Caribe Cafe although we did go look at it. Just saw no reason to eat there. They close Horizon Court at 11 p.m. which is not the way it is on the other Grand Class ships. They do, however, keep CC open until 4 a.m. and it is right next to HC. Caribe Cafe is table service only, though, so if you are looking for a quick bite after a night of fun you won't get it at Horizon Court.

What I saw in Caribe Cafe was not very interesting.

A word to the wise about Horizon Court. Those of you who have been on these Grand Class ships know that HC is not a typical buffet line place. There are stations, nine of them I believe, and the way it is done you just get a plate and go to the station of your choice. If you want salad, you go there. If you are looking for dessert, you go to that one. There are two stations for salad, for dessert, for fruit, for bread, etc, on each side. We saw unnecessary long lines the first day or so and people were getting testy at those of us who were doing it the correct way because they thought we were budging line. I met a ship's officer and became friends with him and asked him to reiterate the way HC is supposed to operate and he confirmed it is not with a long line but by going to the individual stations. So just keep that in mind and the whole deal will be much less stressful for everybody.

We did not see a French night. It may have been replaced by an obvious Caribbean Night. (Tuesday) The pineapple creme brulee was to die for. Don't miss it. The second night (Sunday) was Italian night. Monday and Wednesday were formal nights. The first night out people were pretty casual but after that it was more dressy overall. More tuxedos than we remembered on formal nights, about half and half.

So summing up:

First night, more casual, general (but good) food.

Second night, Italian night

Third night, Formal night

Fourth night, Caribbean night

Fifth night, Formal night, lobster

Sixth night, no apparent theme

Last night, no apparent theme

Souffles most nights.

We did not eat in any specialty restaurants because we had done so before. But our friends ate in the Steakhouse and other than a messed up reservation they reported that it was great.

The two PC dining rooms are open for breakfast and lunch.

We had traditional late seating, they messed that reservation up and we ate with another couple who was also "lost" but decided that it was just too late and we would miss most of the shows and evening activities so we switched to PC dining, had the same table, friends as tablemates and another "mystery couple" each night (maitre d Mauro was great at picking people for us. . .he's wonderful, Island dining room), same dining time. It was just like traditional. Our servers, Cecylia and Stefan really got to know us. Table 277, Island Dining room. Tell Mauro that the Inaugural Table 277 sent you. .

We would choose PC dining instead of traditional. The first night expect to be random, then go to Mauro and tell him what you want the rest of the week (table for six, 7:00 p.m., specify tablemates if you have met them, specify table if you were pleased with the service). They will keep that table for you but if you are very late they have to give it away so be prompt. If you decide not to dine there (alternative restaurant, dinner in your room, etc.) let them know, tell them to release the table for one night only.

You can order off the regular menus for room service but the menus have to be asked for and they aren't ready until about 6:15 each night. They will bring them to you and you place your order and it is there very quickly.

Yes, be sure and order everything. If you want cream with your coffee, say so. If you want a roll and butter, say so. If you want two desserts, etc. etc. etc. Also remember to ask for salt and pepper. They only put on the trays what you ask for. The coffee everywhere was fine and I never used the coffee packets I took.

The extra 500 passengers were not at all noticeable. Once they got through the Inaugural "jitters" everything went very smoothly. We expected a few glitches because it was a first sailing so we didn't come unglued about the little things but within a day or so everything was great.

There were 600 kids on board and I thought they were amazingly well behaved. We just had no issues with anything with kids, they were polite, excited, and their parents expected good behavior of them. We had actually asked to be seated with adults only and ended up one evening with a 9 year old at the table who was, in fact, adorable. His mother did a nice job with him by not making him the center of attention. He excitedly took me to the aft of the dining room to look out the windows at dolphins. . .which he saw and I didn't : ) There were some spring breakers on board and one couple we knew reported some issues with them but the spring breakers we saw were just being college kids having a good time. I heard no bad language, saw no drunkenness, saw no inappropriate behavior. We saw tables full of kids (a table of 10-12 year olds, about 8 of them, was near us and they were always dressed up, and always very well mannered, but you could tell they were having a nice time at such a grown up place.)

I would have to say our only negative was the excursion we took in Jamaica with Barrett Tours. Very, very disappointing. Not at all like was promised and the six of us on the van were in agreement on that. The Appleton Rum Factory was worth the trip (free rum punch with a punch and samples of 21 kinds of rum helped there) but our driver (not Carolyn or Errol, both of whom did not show with no explanation) took us for a ride from he**, got lost, the place we were supposed to eat had to wait 2 1/2 hours for us so the food was cold and we had to wolf it down, there is more but I'd rather go back to the good stuff.

We had a suite and loved it. We had a party there and easily accomodated 14 or so people. Princess sent up wine glasses and extra glasses, I went to Horizon Court and brought back appetizers (cheese, chips, guacamole, mussels on the half shelf, pepitas, veggies and dip) and a nice Princess uniformed man helped me carry stuff back to the room.

We did the stingrays tour in Grand Cayman (Captain Bryan's, the best tour ever)and had a blast. We went to Pancho's backyard in Cozumel. Went went to Paradise Cove Restaurant (south of the tender pier) in Grand Cayman. Shopping wasn't the greatest in any port. We loved going around the coast of Cuba at 6 nautical miles, how often do you get to do that? Princess Cays was wonderful, a bit chilly, but once you are in the water it doesn't matter. I snorkeled, hubby snoozed in a lounge chair (thousands of chairs). Food was good. Short lines at the buffet on the right and it is the same food as the main one on the left.

We saw Movies Under the Stars, saw the Marriage Show (hilarious), saw a couple of comedians, used the internet cafe a lot.

We used the aft pool (nice, very relaxing) and get this, the deck chairs were taken and a woman took the towels off of two of hers, said her kids weren't using them because they were in the pool so we could have them. When we vacated ours, we pointed them out to another couple. It was all very civil. And by the way, there were enormous numbers of chairs all over that ship. We never walked around that we didn't see many of them that were unoccupied. They may not have been right next to the pools but they were there.

Whoaaaa, that's more answers than questions. Keep them coming if there are any more.

Second of two "review" replies. Read above.

Rustynail, we had a suite, R401. We got an upgrade from an AA category. Wonderful cabin.

Huge. Separate bedroom, living room, two part bathroom (one part had the glass shower and a jacuzzi tub, the other had the toilet and the marble vanity/sink. Lots of storage everywhere. Tons of it. Two televisions. Balcony was about 5 x 20. Teak chaises, side table, dining table and chairs, padding on all deck furniture. Plush robes, slippers, towels, (we were told to keep the robes and slippers), wonderful amenities (Lotus Spa shampoo, conditioner, lotion, etc. in bottles, not packets), starboard side. . .usually we like port side but on this itinerary starboard was better because we were on the island side at every stop except Cozumel but saw that on the way out. Plus we saw Cuba as we went around it. Knowing this now, I would opt for starboard if possible.

Riviera Deck is right below some things, in our case the main pool so some nights we heard the music and we could hear people walking back and forth and moving chairs and tables. But, the plusses of this deck and cabin were many so it was not a big deal to us. We had a totally private balcony. . .we could not be seen from above or below and it was covered but sun was there for part of the day because of the angle of the sun so I could work on my tan. We went up one flight of stairs to the pool, the Horizon Court, Caribe Cafe. we were in the center of the ship so we could take elevators quickly everywhere else. There was no noise from stairs or elevators, ever.

Third of three replies. See above two. Wow, the questions are coming in as I type.

Sue, the Horizon Court closed one night at 5:30 on one side only because they were having a Passover Seder on the other side and needed the entire room. We were actually in the HC every day for one reason or another (coffee, tea, appetizers, etc.) so I know it was open until 11 with that exception. They do close sides to prepare for the different meal times. They will close the left side and set up for lunch while the right side is still open for breakfast and then vice versa.

Speaking of Passover. They really did a good job of making sure the various religions had worship opportunities during Holy Week. We went to Maundy Thursday service and my husband attended Good Friday service. We missed Palm Sunday because of a time issue (what time is it anyway? lol). They had both Catholic and Protestant services. There was the Passover Seder, and some other things for our Jewish friends during the week.

Fourth of four replies. Read above three. : )

There were plenty of tables by the aft bar. There are waiters who come and get your drink requests but you can also walk the few feet and get your own. No wait.

That aft pool area is interesting as it is actually three levels. Pool and deck chairs on the lower level, up a few stairs and there are deck chairs, and tables and chairs with the bar, and then up some more stairs and you are at a hot tub area (and kids play place but they are "caged" in) and there is a really neat plunge pool there just for getting in to cool off after you have gotten warm from the sun.

Nobody has asked me about the spa.

Thank you Sparkle!!!!!!!! That terrace was our favorite hideaway. I LOVE it back there. The only reason I didn't book the Carribean was because on the deck plans there were no tables. On the Star there were. Maybe next year. Thanks, again,

Sue

7 days on Star Princess 10/24

I was wondering if you noticed if the pools stayed open 24 hrs or do they close the pools each night at a certain time..we were on rccl adventure of seas and kids really enjoyed using the pool at midnite or so....we are booked on CP for 11/27/04 and cant wait!!!! Thanks Much!!!

Hi Sparkles,

Oddly enough we are in R401A but this is not a suite but a BC cabin. Can there possibly be two R401's on the same floor?

Rusty

stikdog_e0.gif

CARRIBEAN PRINCESS JAN 2005

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2005;01;22;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

CARNIVAL'S LEGEND JAN 2003

CELEBRITY'S CENTURY DEC 2003

cflbird2dog_e0.gif

Thanks again Sparkle. That clears that problem up about the HC closing early. Maybe you could make a new post about the HC staying open later. It would make alot of our friends here very happy.

Sue

7 days on Star Princess 10/24

There are 401s on every deck. R401 would be the cabin we had and it is a suite. Are you sure you have not been upgraded? Did you mean R401A. . .if you did, I'm not sure what that is. Aloha 401 (which would be A401) would be a BC category.

HI

HOW WAS THE NIGHTLY ENTERTAINMENT AS FAR AS DANCING - HOW WAS THE DISCO AND WERE THERE ALOT OF PEOPLE IN TH BARS - WERE THEY CROWDED - WHICH BARS ARE THE BEST - WHERE DID YOU GO FOR A DRINK BEFORE DINNER

THANKS CAROL IN CONNECTICUT

There are bars and there is dancing at lots of places on the ship. We went to Skywalkers and it was going well into the night. We went to Wheelhouse Bar (which is my favorite) and there was a nice jazz combo. . .I liked this bar because of its "old ship" feel. Club Fusion has all sorts of stuff going on at different times. Explorers Lounge is good, too. You won't have any trouble finding good places to go.

oh i wanna know!!! how was the spa?? my birthday is our second cruise day and hubby and i are getting hot stone massages and facials...i'm wondering if they have the couples rasul? also, do they offer generous discounts towards the end of the cruise?

thanks!

amie

Amie & Andy

Getting Married March 8

Taking our first cruise March 9

Sparkle, thank you. Thank goodness the Horizon Court is still open after 5:30, that Cafe Caribe does not interest me. Did you check out the gym at all? Are there enough treadmills? One other thing, is Skywalkers a place where you can enjoy the view and relax during the day? Thanks again.

Caribbean Princess 7/03/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;7;3;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Alas, no discounts toward the end of the cruise which was a big surprise to me.

I had the AromaVedics massage and my husband had the Swedish massage. He thought his was okay, I LOVED mine and would do it again in a heartbeat. You choose which oil you want to use. . . I chose "energizing" and it seemed to do just that. If you have a treatment scheduled you can use their special Thermal Spa facilities. . .there are heated ceramic relaxation chairs in a darkened room (wonderful!) and an aromatherapy sauna and a regular sauna and a shower area and huge towels, etc. If you are not having a treatment you can still use the sauna and steam room in the locker room areas and they are nice. They have the usual, shampoo, conditioner, lotions, razors, etc in there. It was a totally relaxing afternoon and I wish I had had time to do more. There is also a Lotus Spa pool with a current you swim against, accessible from the Spa itself.

I think there are couples things but not necessarily cheaper because two of you are going.

another reply. . .

roe, I had every intention of going to the gym but that balcony was just too darned compelling. lol We did go to the open house and got free back massages in the chairs and checked out the gym. . .there are many, many treadmills, all facing out the front windows of the ship, there are steppers and weight machines and free weights and spinners and bikes, you name it, it is a fully equipped place and the equipment seems to be top notch.

I'm not sure about Skywalkers during the day. . .we only went at night.

sparkle, you mentioned getting appetizers like chips, guacamole, cheese, etc. from the Horizon Court for the party in your suite...did you have to pay extra for those? Or can anyone go down there and load up a tray of snacks to take to their cabin for serving? Thanks! Amanda.

Hi Sparkle!! Great answers to everything!! icon_smile.gif Mom & I had a great time with you and John!! icon_smile.gif

I may be able to add to the dinner info.... We had 2nd seating traditional. The menus are "themed" as follows (in order), with a selection of entrees:

Sailaway Dinner - pasta, filet of zander, ham, prime rib

Captain's Welcome Dinner - pasta, crayfish, mahi mahi, cornish hen, beef tenderloin

Italian Dinner - pasta (ummm... whoda thunk it?), swordfish, shrimp, veal chops, beef pot roast

Caribbean Dinner - linguini/blackmussels, flying fish, yellow snapper, lamb shank, rack of pork

Captain's Gala Dinner - ravioli, orange roughy, lobster, pheasant, beef wellington

Chef's Dinner - burgers, hot dogs, spam. Just kidding!! LOL!! icon_razz.gif Long pasta, tilapia (fish filet), tiger prawn, chicken kiev, rack of lamb

Landfall Dinner - linguine, baby turbot (fish), sea scallops, turkey, prime rib

The menus seemed nearly identical to our cruise on the Dawn over New Years, with a few exceptions. Overall, it was about 85% identical. If something didn't appeal to me, I opted for the "always available" fettuccine all'Alfredo. It was awesome!! I also asked if they could cut up a chicken breast to put on it. A great alternative, IMHO. icon_smile.gif

I did hear that there was a dispute in the galley the first morning (Princess Cays) which caused the long lines in Horizon Ct. They couldn't get the food out fast enough which caused the lines. Never had a problem after that. The line was only a couple people deep, if that much. Also, Cafe Caribe does not serve hot food for breakfast, only in Horizon Ct. Cafe Caribe serves cold foods, cereals, fruits for breakfast, which can also be found in HC. Milk is availale in the small boxes (low fat and skim). We would get our hot food, then sit in Cafe Caribe b/c it would only be half full. Great way to get a window seat. icon_smile.gif

Nightly entertainment was decent. They had a few different comedians as well as a magician, hypnotist, stage acts and piano bar (Bert!!). We had a few nights where we had to decide what to see, but such is the hazzard of being on a ship w/ 3000+ pax. Gotta have multiple options to keep everyone entertained, which is fine. icon_smile.gif We saw Bert in the Crooner's Bar a few times (don't miss him!!!), plus some of the comedy shows which were pretty good.

Quick thought on the R401Q suite... the suites are named after islands & 2 have A in the name (Aruba & Antigua). My guess is that you're in one of them. I may be wrong, but it's just a thought. icon_smile.gif

Not all pools were open all night. It looked like they drained and cleaned a couple of them early in the week, plus roped/netted off others during the week. Not sure if any were kept open all night tho, but I'm thinking that at least one may have been open.

I didn't use the spa, so can't help there... sorry. icon_frown.gif I remember seeing rasul in the price guide, but don't recall if they have it for couples (30 min for $45 while in port, $65 at sea). As Sparkle mentioned, they didn't do a discount at the end of the cruise.

Caribbean Princess - 4/2004

Dawn Princess - 12/2003

Sea Princess - 12/2000

Emerald Seas - 7/1984

Archived