Dawn 12-22 sailing

mikeallen

I am interested in finding out which, if any, tours are worthwhile on this cruise. My experience has been ( in the Baltic, Mediterranean, Polynesian Islands etc>) that tours by locals are usually better and cheaper than those from cruise lines. We are to stop in Ocho Rios, Jamaica: Georgetown, Grand Cayman: Roatan (Bay Islands, Honduras); Belize City, Belize;and Cozumel, Mexico. I have never been to any of them. What are the best of each and what tours, if any are worthwhile. I am in my early 60's and my wife a bit younger and we are in pretty good shape. Any helpful ideas wouls be appreciated.

Thanks

mikeallen

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going on the same itinerary in November.

I'm a ruins fanatic, so I'm trying to decide between Lamanai and Xunantunich in Belize. And either going to Tulum (I've been there before) or another ruin near Cozumel.

As far as Roatan goes...I have not been able to decide. I stayed in Utila (one of the other bay islands) before and lived in Trujillo Honduras for a while. The bay islands are best for scuba divers, but I am not certified, so that's out. There's probably an okay beach, but these islands are part of a large reef system and not known for great beaches. Most parts of the islands tend to drop straight down into the ocean, like a cliff, sort of. This is probably the best place to snorkel on the whole itinerary, if that is something you are into. Bring your bug spray - certain times of the year, the sandflies can be vicious. You also might want to check out one of the tours that includes learning about the Garifuna people, although personally it makes me a little sad that they are now performing for people. I used to dance with them every night in Cristales, Trujillo, so I can't really imagine a canned version of it...still, they are very interesting. Make sure you eat a bowl of conch soup there, it's awesome. I will probably just wander around and talk to the locals, and catch up on any gossip about Trujillo.

I still haven't figured out what are the best things to do in Ocho Rios or Grand Cayman.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi MikeAllen,

We're also on the Dawn on 12/22. I have scheduled private tours at all but Jamaica and Belize. In Roatan we're taking a Victor Bodden tour. In Cozumel, provided Wilma doesn't cause too much damage, we'll be taking my niece for a dolphim swim and beach day at Chaukanaab. If that fails we may try Tulum with a ship tour. In Cayman, The Buccaneer catameran to Stingray City, this is Boxing Day on Cayman but many private tours are operating. In Jamaica, due to it being Christmas Day and a short port stay 12:00-6:00PM we will take a ship excursion, we don't want to miss the ship. In Belize we will probably go to Alten Ha to see the Mayan ruins with a ships tour. There is lots of info on the boards here on independent tours, I'm sure you'll find a suggestion or review that matches your interests. See you in December!

• 1 month later...

Hi MikeAllen and Luv to Cruise.... We're going on the same cruise! I am thinking about the Dolphin excursion through NCL in Roatan, but I wanted some more feedback. I heard all dolphin encounters in Cozumel were off for a few more months and Chaukanaab Park was destroyed by the hurricanes otherwise Cozumel would have been my choice. Any thoughts?

Archived