Underwater Digital Camera

calmac

Pentax Optio WP 5MP

I came across this camera yesterday and thought it would be perfect for our cruise at Easter (Eastern Caribbean) when we plan on going snorkelling. We've used disposable underwater cameras in the past as we've never been willing to spend the large $ on an underwater housing for any of our existing cameras.

Does anyone have any experience of using this camera, especially while snorkelling?

I don't have experience with this camera, but according to Amazon:

Waterproof body enables approximately 30 minutes of continuous underwater shooting at a depth of up to 1.5 meters

So this camera is apparently capable of underwater operation, but not very deep at all. It would probably be OK for snorkeling if you stayed pretty close to the surface. I think the target user for this camera is someone who does aquatic activities, like rafting, where the camera would likely get wet by splashing.

How much is this camera? If you are going to spend the money for this camera that does not go very deep--why not spend a little bit more and by one you can use if you ever decide to get cerified as a diver.

I have a sealife master digital camera w/strobe. I love it.

My first underwater was a sealife film camera which I loved also.

Go into your local diveshop and see what they have in stock or can order.:)

The camera is currently retailing in the UK about the equivalent of $325.

I think we're unlikely to take up diving now (husband and I are both early 40s) and certainly not before our Easter cruise :)

We were considering buying a small digital camera anyway and the waterproof feature of this one just looked like an added bonus. I've tried to take pictures with a disposable underwater camera when snorkelling but with little success. At least if I made a mess of digital photos I would be able to erase them and use the memory card again.

You can buy underwater cases for many regular cameras these days.

Look here.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/search/ss=underwater&BI=9&kw=CR

And here is another site for information on underwater housings: http://www.digideep.com/

Olympus and Canon are the two camera companies that make (relatively) inexpensive housings for many of their cameras. If you want a housing for a camera, before you buy the camera, check to see if there is a housing made for it.

Pentax Optio WP 5MP

I came across this camera yesterday and thought it would be perfect for our cruise at Easter (Eastern Caribbean) when we plan on going snorkelling. We've used disposable underwater cameras in the past as we've never been willing to spend the large $ on an underwater housing for any of our existing cameras.

Does anyone have any experience of using this camera, especially while snorkelling?

We bought an UW camera on ebay for $30.00. It is a camera in a uw housing Works great.

Here is what is looks like.

Thanks for the links and for the idea of using e-bay. I think we'll keep looking and hopefully find something in the New Year - either a digital underwater camera or a housing for one of our existing cameras (we have a few). :D

• 3 weeks later...
What was your experience with the disposable ones? We were thinking of bringing one.

I found it difficult to tell what I was taking a picture of as I couldn't see through the viewfinder when wearing my snorkel mask. Having said that, my husband seemed to manage better than I could. I think it might be easier with an LCD screen but perhaps not?

The last time we went snorkelling was in Hawaii and it seemed very expensive to have the pictures developed there.

Since I originally posted this thread Pentax have released a 6MP version of this camera. If we do decide to buy a digital underwater camera we will opt for this version (Pentax Optio WPi).

Archived