Ft. Lauderdale air flight questions, OK, now I may be worried...

KENLORJUS

Hi everyone,

Just a quick request for hands on, with experience, feedback please.

My family is on the Enchantment the end of November. My wife is flying down and flying home (the rest are driving). I have noticed the airport is right next to the dock in Ft. Lauderdale (spelling??). I booked her a 10:45 AM flight home. I was guessing if we were one of the first two colors off it should not be a problem. She is only taking a carry on with her. So I was guess a drop off at the front door, she walks in for check-in and off to the gate.

What do the experienced flyers have to say (those that have used the Ft. Lauderdale Airport)?

Thanks.

kenlorjus

With only a carry on, if she can get a white or orange luggage tag (you get one even if you don't have luggage), and if there are no delays getting the ship into port, I think she'll be alright. She'll be able to utilize the rapid check in kiosks (assuming her airline offers them) or even online check in the night before on the ship. Personally, I'd use the online check in the night before on the ship. That way she'll have her boarding pass in hand and can go straight to security and her gate, bypassing any check in line at the airport.

I would think about changing her flight if possible, to a bit later. I would rather be sitting around waiting for a flight rather than missing a flight and trying to get another flight out. Friends had to wait 3 hrs. to get off ship as there was problem with something in luggage and they had to locate people etc... I don't like being anxious! RCI syas don't book anything before noon.

My wife and I just spent last week on the Explorer and yesterday we arrived back to Miami. We had a flight in Ft Lauderdale and we were the second color (green) to get off the ship. We were off the ship at 7:30AM and in Ft Lauderdale airport at 9:00AM. So when the tags come to the cabin for flights home just put the early flight and you will be off the ship by 7:00AM> Have fun... We did...

If you are off the ship before 9:45am it shouldnt be a problem but you never know if customs will hold it up for some reason reason. The airport is a 10 minute drive from port to airport and plenty of signs to get you there without getting lost. They just remodeled the whole airport (well....still working on some parts of it)

My husband and always fly in to Ft. Lauderdale. The flights are much cheaper than going in to Miami. Two times we sailed from Ft. Lauderdale and once from Miami. All 3 times we made our 11am flight with PLENTY of time to spare. Just go to the pursers desk and tell them your flight is at 10:45 and you MUST be first off the ship. That morning when they call your color...go go go! Grab a taxi - which will be NO PROBLEM AT ALL - TRUST ME. And you are off. She'll be at the airport at 8:30 or 9am wondering why she was sweating the whole thing! hahah! Of course, like others said- you never know. Sure something could happen to delay your disembarkation but I have not had that problem. Yet! Thank goodness! Have a great cruise!!

We left out of Ft. lauderdale last year, by the time we got off the ship and got to the airport it was about 2 hours before our flight. The airport was crowded! We needed every bit of that 2 hours to get our boarding pass and get through long security lines.

I would not take the chance of a security/immigration delay on the ship, your wife would not be happy to miss her flight and be all alone. I say book a flight closer to noon.

Bev

You may want to think about letting her use the new option that let's you carry off your own luggage. This is the first group to go and she could catch a cab over to the aiport. She would be there in plenty of time for her flight.

Just a thought

You may want to think about letting her use the new option that let's you carry off your own luggage. This is the first group to go and she could catch a cab over to the aiport. She would be there in plenty of time for her flight.

Just a thought

We sailed the Enchantment in January and had orange tags. We were off the ship and at the airport by 9:30 or so if I remember correctly. Personally, I would stay with that option. Unless some unforeseen thing comes up you will be fine.

We had an early flight out of Ft. Lauderdale and did not make it about 1 1/2 years ago. They had something like 10 cruise ships dock at the same time and the security lines were 2 1/2 hrs long! Perhaps that have a more efficient system now!

Good luck.

RocketCity

She will probably make it but I would try for a little later flight.Usually everything goes smoothly but one time debarkation was delayed for over 2 hours because they could not locate one of the passengers.I have flown from Ft. Lauderdale several times and the lines there can get pretty long, especially on weekends.Also if you do not check in by a certain time they can give away your seat.

It depends on what day the cruise ends??? If a sat/sun then the terminal will be very crowded. I have sailed on the enchantment twice arriving back in FLL on a monday and there were no lines at the airport.I don't get first off tags and have been at the airport by 10 or 10:30am.

Off the Majesty last week out of MIA. We were off the ship by 8:30 - and our color was one of the last ones called. However, our last stop was Key West and we went thru a full customs check there, so that probably saved alot of time in Miami. The cruise line usually suggests that you do not book a return flight before noon just in case. However, if she carries off her luggage, she can go first and grab a taxi right away. Most of the traffic was going south into Miami and we had an easy ride to FLL

Archived