HC cabin charge?

mum24grlz

My parents are going on a HAL cruise in November (b2b). My mother will be using a scooter due to double-knee replacement surgery. She filled out the appropriate paperwork with HAL stating she was bringing scooter. HAL now wants her to pay more money to get a handicap accessible cabin. She's not asking for a HC cabin/ she just wants them to possibly remove one of the side tables so she can bring the scooter in the cabin. She did this on their 31 day cruise last summer and is wondering why she is getting such push back on her request. The ship - including captain - is adamant that they will not remove the table to accommodate the scooter. Is this proper procedure? Making a guest pay more money for an accessible room? She's currently booked into a verandah stateroom so its not like she's going from an inside cabin to a verandah.

Any tips suggestions ideas I can pass onto to her to make this successful cruise? She's already worried about the cruise since its her first one since the surgery.

Edited by mum24grlz

I think it is just a communication breakdown. If the cabins are the same category, there would not be any price difference. However, they may only have limited HC cabins available so it could be a different category. Also, some of the tables (like many desk) are built in. We normally ask the steward to remove the coffee table.

Like another person mentioned, they could be concerned about the door width. I'm not positive, but I think the scooter must be 21” or less for most standard doors.

All customer service people say that is what the “captain” wants. It is the standard to impress the cruisers.

If they are working with a TA, the TA should make it happen or be more realistic as to exactly what the problem is. If they are working with the cruise line, ask to speak to a supervisor and make sure everyone understands exactly what they are seeking.

Betty

My parents are going on a HAL cruise in November (b2b). My mother will be using a scooter due to double-knee replacement surgery. She filled out the appropriate paperwork with HAL stating she was bringing scooter. HAL now wants her to pay more money to get a handicap accessible cabin. She's not asking for a HC cabin/ she just wants them to possibly remove one of the side tables so she can bring the scooter in the cabin. She did this on their 31 day cruise last summer and is wondering why she is getting such push back on her request. The ship - including captain - is adamant that they will not remove the table to accommodate the scooter. Is this proper procedure? Making a guest pay more money for an accessible room? She's currently booked into a verandah stateroom so its not like she's going from an inside cabin to a verandah.

Any tips suggestions ideas I can pass onto to her to make this successful cruise? She's already worried about the cruise since its her first one since the surgery.

There's either no accessible cabin in the category originally booked or if there is it's already been booked by someone. The available accessible cabin is in a higher category and that's why your mother is having to pay more and not that HAL has randomly chosen to charge more as not all Veranda cabins are the same category.

Your mother was quite lucky that the cruise line removed furniture out of the cabin for a past 31 cruise. No cruise line is required to move furniture out of a standard cabin to accommodate mobility scooter. Yes the ship Captain has the final word on such matters.