Dual Nationality and TA

Winchester Ranger

So I received my sail packet in today's mail complete with dress code requirements by day, luggage tickets, and....a warning about dual nationality, something that applies to me.

The brochure states that dual nationality must be declared at check in, and only one passport must be used for the cruise. If I'm only using one passport then declaring dual nationality only serves to "flag" me as a potential problem, on the other hand if I just keep quiet and do my usual trick (when flying) of using each passport for entry to each country to speed up the immigration process and avoid the idiocy of having a 30 day visa for my birth nation then I could end up throwing a wrench in the works when the passenger manifest doesn't reconcile.

I have a feeling that there's a lot of this with the increasing numbers of dual nationals (hence the warning in the sail packet).

Does anyone with dual nationality who has sailed TA have some personal experiences to share ?

Edited by Winchester Ranger

I suppose global security risks necessitate the need for security and border agencies to increasingly check the movements of nationals and especially dual nationals holding second passports. There are dual nationals out there who conceal their movements to the destination country by using a second passport when transiting through various other countries and rules concerning manifests and security are imposed on carriers. Your question also raises other issues. I would not be surprised if there were a number of people out there who travel TA without even being aware of the need to declare dual nationality, take for example those with automatic Irish citizenship through Irish parental descent, they may never have been to Ireland, applied to the Embassy or held an Irish passport.

I guess for those contemplating the use of different passports on the same trip as a convenience for ease through security controls it could cause a problem at some point. An Immigration Officer given a slack queue could flag and enquire further if they see no obvious leave to enter/exit stamps in the passport for countries already visited on the same trip. It could lead in turn to some inconvenience waiting for questioning in the secondary examination area.

Edited by robbie_3

I have dual nationality. I have declared it a time or two but no one has been interested. I think the important thing is that somewhere you are told that you can only travel on ONE passport for the whole trip. You cannot use one for leaving and one for entering.

I believe your second passport can work instead of a visa, to give you permission to leave or enter. That's how I use my Australian passport when I return on holidays.

You can only use one passport for the trip, so I use the one that will be the most convenient where I will be disembaking, or will avoid too many visas (not a problem on a crossing). Not that this helped when arriving in Boston a few months ago, the US and non US lines seemed to be equally long.