Panama Canal Question

Cruiseteach

I am a little confused: It sounds like, if I take a full day excursion while in the Canal, I will pretty much miss the ship going through the locks. Is this true? Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question.

Not dumb, not at all. Here's how it works. You go through the Gatun Locks into Gatun Lake. This pretty much takes up the full morning. Then, only those folks who have purchased excursions are allowed to get off the ship onto tenders at the lake. You are then tendered to shore where you pick up your tour. After excursions are done, passengers are bused back to the ship which has turned around, went back through the Gatun Locks and docks at either Colon or Cristobal. There is no time from there to do anything other than visit the shopping areas at the pier, which are quite nice. Many choose to stay on board the ship to take the partial transit back to the pier. There is no time for those who stayed on board to take a tour once back at the pier. And either town is really not a great place to walk around. Generally you are advised to stay in the shopping areas. Hope this helped.

Archived