Scuba - Aruba

Colorado Babe

• 1 month later...
Any recommendations for a great dive shop in Aruba?

We are going to book our dive trip through Carnival for our cruise. We always book directly now when cruising to Bermuda, but haven't been to Aruba yet. Figured it would be easier to book through the ship this time.

We booked through Carnival since it was our first time diving there. The dive boats were probably 12 pax (I didn't actually count). They took us to the Atilla and another wreck site.

These aren't premium sites as they are used for all the cruise-ship divers, plus snorkelers but they certainly weren't bad dives.

Overall we were happy and enjoyed the excursion. I would probably book my own dives on our next time there though. Many dive shops will work with you and the ships schedule, just begin emailing them a few months out and have the ships itenerary.

There are no dive sites which are exclusive to "cruise-ship divers", however some of the other dive sites, all of which are on that leeward side of the island do take longer to get to. The Antilla is the most popular dive spot on Aruba for cruise passengers and land vacationers alike. There are a small number of dive spots close by for a perfect second dive. So all in all, convenient for cruise passengers who have a limited amount of time.

My best suggestion if you perceive you are not diving "premium" sites, is to find an itinerary where you will arrive EARLY in the morning. Book your dives through a shop which offers dives to the "premium" sites. They WILL leave between 8 and 9 in the morning. You may have to book a private tour to get exactly what you want.

I never meant to imply there were "cruise ship only dive sites", what I meant was that cruise ship passengers almost always get taken to the same sites.

Any site that receives such large volume of divers takes huge toll on it's coral and fish life. "premium" site are those get less divers and remain much healthier.

Sadly, I don't get the luxury to shop for cruises based on times in port. I know I will probably not get the best dive experience an island has to offer, but as they say, "beggers can't be choosers".

We do often fly back to locations we enjoyed while cruising where we can take our time, research the best reviewed shops, and be available when the dive shop needs to leave.