Just back from Caribbean Princess 4-10-04

donna1958

We have just returned from a wonderful week on the Caribbean Princess. Have read some posts from other passengers on the 4-3 and 4-10 sailings and thought I would add some of my own thoughts.

EMBARKATION: This is an area that Princess really excels at. We arrived at the pier a little after 11. Doors to the pier opened about 11:35 and we were on the ship by noon. By the way, the line for the Caribe deck express check in was much longer than the regular line - "express" was taking about twice as long.

CABIN: We were on Caribe deck, cabin #255. The balcony for these cabins are great - about twice the size of a standard balcony cabin. Two lounging chairs, footstool, table and two standard chairs and still plenty of room to walk around. The cabin itself was typical Princess - small bathroom, no sitting area, but a really great closet. Plenty of storage for everything we brought with us which was plenty.

Personal Choice Dining: Having done (and loved) personal choice dining on Princess and NCL in the past we were shocked at the problems we encountered on the first night. The lines were extremely long when we arrived about 8:00. We had never waited longer than 15 minutes on any other cruise and that was usually on formal night. After standing on line for 30 minutes we were told by the head waiter that tables of 2 would not be seated until after 9:00. He apologized for the situation and insisted that if we returned after 9:00 there would be no problem. Since there was still a very long line behind us at the time I doubted the situation would improve by then. We decided to go up to the Horizon Court buffet but that lacked the atmosphere that we enjoy in the dining room. We decided to return to the dining room about 9:10 and much to our surprise, the line was gone. The head waiter we had spoken to previously was there, and he took the time to explain all the problems they were having (500 extra people and we all seemed to get hungry at the same time). We love PC dining because you can go to the dining room on your schedule and therefore did not want to make reservations for the week (which he offered to do for us). Since we prefer to eat later, we decided to go to the 8:15 show every night, then dinner, usually about 9:15. This worked great for us, there was never a line (even on formal nights), and service was wonderful.

ENTERTAINMENT: One of the areas I really enjoy about Princess is the choice of entertainment options. On our sailing (and I believe on the 4-3 sailing also) there was a problem with the stage so the theatre production was limited to the final night. But there was a comedian or singer every night in the Princess theater and in the Explorers lounge. We did "Movies under the stars" one night - Master and Commander at 10:45 p.m. We only stayed for about 45 minutes as were were having problems understanding what was being said. Don't know if it was where we were sitting (off to the side) or just our inability to pick up the English accents. It was an enjoyable option and would not hesitate to try it again in the future.

PORTS: Having done the Western Caribbean itineray several times, we had previously planned to stay on the ship in Grand Cayman and enjoy having it to ourselves. Unfortunately, due to high surf, the tenders were unable to operate and that port was cancelled. Had we docked in town in Cozumel, we would have gotten off and done some quick shopping and then return to the ship. Since we docked outside of town, we decided to stay on the ship, and enjoy the port-day discounts offered in the spa. We had never been to Montego Bay so we definetly planned to get off there. Since we are "beach" people, we decided to go to Sunset Beach Resort. This is an all-inclusive resort located about a 5-minute taxi ride from the pier. For $20.00 per person, we were entitled to everything but a room. This included food, drinks(!), changing facility, water sports, beach lounges, pools, etc. Definitely a great deal that made for a wonderful relaxing day. We will definitely go there again the next time we are in Montego Bay.

MISC: We had no problems getting deck chairs at any time of the day. While some people did leave towels on the loungers for hours at a time, there were plenty of available chairs.

We did not feel crowded at any time (other than the first night at the dining room). There were lots of kids on board but they didn't really cause any problems that we saw.

Overall it was a really enjoyable week that went by way too fast. So enjoyable in fact, that we will be sailing on her again in 4 months and we can hardly wait.

Hi Donna. Glad to hear you had a great time!! we have had many discussions on this board about the extra 500 passengers, and no extra public space. We were wondering where the problem was going to rear its ugly head. Obviosly it is the Pc dining. I am surprised Princess did not address this as most princess traditional dining rooms are waitlisted. Not enough to take me away from Princess tho.

Sue

7 days on Star Princess 10/24

Thanks for your post. I was on the same cruise. Have a different view of some things.

Embarkation

We arrived later (a little after 12) and the line was very long. The "express check-in" was useless. While we filled out everything way in advance, we had to provide the same information again including a credit card imprint (which we already provided on-line). While some lines said express both were being used by both express and non-express customers. Frankly, given that Princess had all of the information in advance, the check-in should have been simple. Why can't they come up with an e-check-in like airlines? Or just mail you your cruise cards in advance?

Dine anytime

We used dine anytime for the entire week and had zero wait. Could be that we were just lucky. Also, only people. I did hear that people with larger groups 4+ had problems. The reservation system was pretty silly. People called at the beginning of the week, securing reservations for the entire week at a certain time. So, when we called for a "reservation" the dining rooms were "full". But when we showed up the dining room was empty. Why? It's simple, people made the reservations "just-in-case" and then just showed up where and when they wanted to. Princess should consider eliminate reservations for anytime dining.

Entertainment

I would say entertainment was just ok. Almost entirely stand-up comedians. I wonder if the electrical problems in the main theater resulted in the excess of comedy.

Food

Really enjoyed it. Especially the desserts and Sabatini's.

Loved Cozumel. Jamaica was interesting, but wouldn't want to go a second time. And of course disappointed about Grand Cayman (not Priness's fault).

I did think it was crowded. For example, many people couldn't get seats at the popular magic show or the last night "Princess Idol" competition.

Princess did not do a good job communicating with guests. For example, at embarkation there was nobody outside to explain the system. On the unexpected "day at sea" the updated Princess Patter wasn't delivered to our door until late in the day when most of the activities were over.

While we had a great time, I was not happy with all of the nickel & diming. Some daytime events carried a fee (e.g., aerobics classes or a computer lecture). There were unexpected charges for food (e.g., ice cream was free in the dining room after dinner but carried a charge from the ice cream stand). While, I did my fair share of paid drinking, occasionally I would want a non-alcoholic drink like a cup of coffee or a glass of water. If you asked for these, the waiters were visibly disappointed.

We were in a mini-suite in Dolphin deck. Loved the room. Very spacious. Loved the balcony.

Generally enjoyed the cruise, but not sure that I would cruise again. If so, a different line. Maybe stick to land based resorts, where you can spread out and not spend hours embarking and disembaring.

We were also on this cruise.

I was disappointed in the embarkation process. We arrived about 12:30. I also registered ahead of time online, planning to use the "express check-in". There were people in front of us that shouldn't have been in the express line, causing delays. Disembarking was just as bad - there was a line for U.S. passengers with birth certificates (not passports) which we were in. When this line got really long, new arrivals were allowed in the much shorter passport line.

Registered personal choices online - no robes in cabin, birthday went unacknowledged. Why bother with this process?

We chose personal choice dining. I did call ahead on days we wanted to reserve a certain time. This seemed to work out O.K. I did hear that others just walking in had no wait or up to an hour and a half wait. We were not impressed with the menu at all. I heard that the menu in the dining rooms and buffets were the same.

As for the buffets - we had most breakfasts and lunches at the buffets. Not once can I say that the food that was supposed to be hot was hot. A huge disappointment. The buffet also lacked variety. Also, buffets are not always available. One night at about 12:15 P.M. we wanted a snack. The only place open was the Cafe Caribe and you could only get food if you ordered from a menu. Later in the week I was told that a buffet was available, but I'm not sure if this was every night. There was no 'midnight buffet' like on other ships. Room service had only a small variety of items you could order. Princess told me there was a 24 hour pizzeria and 24 hour buffet, which there wasn't. No self serve ice cream available unless you paid for it. Worst experience in food that we have ever had on a cruise ship.

Entertainment was mostly comedians, 2 singers. Were looking forward to broadway shows. Not all shows are appropriate for the entire family, although Princess doesn't note this all the time.

Many events were put in venues too small, which could not handle all who wished to participate. What a shame, because other areas were empty at the same time.

Was disappointed we couldn't 'tender in' at Grand Cayman. Princess should be prepared for days like this and have alternate events planned. Although this may be a new ship, Princess has certainly come across days like this before where ports were not accessible. They really don't have a great schedule of events for any day though. Most events are at night and are not scheduled very well as far as times, too many conflicts for events you may want to go to. Daytime events are not of interest to most age groups.

As for the cabin - we were in a BD balcony - brochure showed sitting area, which it did not have. Wish I had a tape measure, because I don't think the room (including balcony) was 233 sq. ft. or over as told. Balcony was nice, but not enough storage room in cabin.

As for the ship - it was clean, but the layout was undesireable. I felt you had to walk through areas being used to get to other areas. Never did get a good feel for this ship. We knew our way around other ships by day 2.

I agree that unless you ordered an alcoholic drink on deck, the waiters or waitresses seemed put out.

Princess Cays was beautiful. Didn't get off at Montego Bay - glad we didn't after we heard bad experiences from other passengers who did get off. Cozumel was great.

Pools were chlorine, not salt water.

Highlight of this ship was the other passengers we met, especially ones we met from cruise critic.

Lots of motion on this ship, not sure if it was because of winds or ships height or speed of ship.

Still had a relaxing time, but don't plan to sail with Princess again.

Gee, but in all my brochures, a category BD is not a minisuite, but a balcony stateroom. There is no sitting area except for the desk, and a small, roundish chair, and the chairs out in the balcony, of course. To get a separate "sitting" area, you'd need to upgrade to a minisuite, or categories that begin with "A", such as "AA", or "AE".

As far as a 24 hour buffet, all I can say is I'd hesitate to call it a buffet. You can say there is food available around the clock in some way or form. Too bad you were misled. Princess isn't for everyone, as much as her fans would like to believe it is! icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BLE_1:

We were also on this cruise.

I was disappointed in the embarkation process. We arrived about 12:30. I also registered ahead of time online, planning to use the "express check-in". There were people in front of us that shouldn't have been in the express line, causing delays. Disembarking was just as bad - there was a line for U.S. passengers with birth certificates (not passports) which we were in. When this line got really long, new arrivals were allowed in the much shorter passport line.

Registered personal choices online - no robes in cabin, birthday went unacknowledged. Why bother with this process?

We chose personal choice dining. I did call ahead on days we wanted to reserve a certain time. This seemed to work out O.K. I did hear that others just walking in had no wait or up to an hour and a half wait. We were not impressed with the menu at all. I heard that the menu in the dining rooms and buffets were the same.

As for the buffets - we had most breakfasts and lunches at the buffets. Not once can I say that the food that was supposed to be hot was hot. A huge disappointment. The buffet also lacked variety. Also, buffets are not always available. One night at about 12:15 P.M. we wanted a snack. The only place open was the Cafe Caribe and you could only get food if you ordered from a menu. Later in the week I was told that a buffet was available, but I'm not sure if this was every night. There was no 'midnight buffet' like on other ships. Room service had only a small variety of items you could order. Princess told me there was a 24 hour pizzeria and 24 hour buffet, which there wasn't. No self serve ice cream available unless you paid for it. Worst experience in food that we have ever had on a cruise ship.

Entertainment was mostly comedians, 2 singers. Were looking forward to broadway shows. Not all shows are appropriate for the entire family, although Princess doesn't note this all the time.

Many events were put in venues too small, which could not handle all who wished to participate. What a shame, because other areas were empty at the same time.

Was disappointed we couldn't 'tender in' at Grand Cayman. Princess should be prepared for days like this and have alternate events planned. Although this may be a new ship, Princess has certainly come across days like this before where ports were not accessible. They really don't have a great schedule of events for any day though. Most events are at night and are not scheduled very well as far as times, too many conflicts for events you may want to go to. Daytime events are not of interest to most age groups.

As for the cabin - we were in a BD balcony - brochure showed sitting area, which it did not have. Wish I had a tape measure, because I don't think the room (including balcony) was 233 sq. ft. or over as told. Balcony was nice, but not enough storage room in cabin.

As for the ship - it was clean, but the layout was undesireable. I felt you had to walk through areas being used to get to other areas. Never did get a good feel for this ship. We knew our way around other ships by day 2.

I agree that unless you ordered an alcoholic drink on deck, the waiters or waitresses seemed put out.

Princess Cays was beautiful. Didn't get off at Montego Bay - glad we didn't after we heard bad experiences from other passengers who did get off. Cozumel was great.

Pools were chlorine, not salt water.

Highlight of this ship was the other passengers we met, especially ones we met from cruise critic.

Lots of motion on this ship, not sure if it was because of winds or ships height or speed of ship.

Still had a relaxing time, but don't plan to sail with Princess again.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

JJ

Caribbean Princess 5/1/04

Star Princess 5/24/03

Sun Princess 6/12/00

Carnival Fantasy 1/18/98

We booked a BD category on the Caribbean Princess for October. Can't remember which site since I searched many for prices (may even have been Princess) they showed a BD balcony with a sitting area. Since we've had balconies on two previous princess cruises (and there was no sitting error) I figured the picture they showed was an error--should have been listed as a mini-suite. That was a while ago and I have not encountered that picture again.

10/23/04 Caribbean Princess

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;10;23;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Golden Princess 10/19/03

Grand Princess 10/20/02

Hey donna1958,

We were also on the 4/10 sailing of the Caribbean Princess and had a great time.

First - I would like to say that the CC get together at Morgan's on the day of sailing was great!!! It was good to put a face to all of the people we have been chatting with for the last few weeks.

Just a few notes from my experiences...

Embarkation: Express check-in (worked for me) was great, while we arrived at a little after 12:00 and found a long line waiting outside it did move quickly. Once inside we went to the area for the Caribe deck and people were using both express and regular check-in and it was moving OK. We had registered online and when we got to the front of the line we had our cruise cards and were going to the security area in under two minutes.

Cabin: We were also on the Caribe deck but in the Aft in 718 on the port side. We were spoiled with our last cruise on the Grand in a mini-suite and missed the size of the bathrooms in the mini's. Overall the bed was comfy and the was sufficient space in the room mainly because my wife asked for additional hangers and hung most of our clothes. The drawer space was very limited. The shower was quite small and I don't know how anyone heavier then myself could have done it as you had to get out of the shower to pick up the soap if you dropped it, unless you were a contortionist. Cabin steward was helpful and efficient.

PC Dining: We have only done traditional in the past and wanted to try this option as we wanted an open schedule to do whatever we wanted whenever. The first night we didn't want to change out of our shorts from the afternoon so we skipped the dining room and went to the Horizon court. It was OK but I did not have high expectations so I thouth it was great, while others in our party thought it was catch or miss depending on when visited.

We did make it to the Coral dining room on the second night (Easter) and the "Reservation line" was way down the hall at 8:00, being that we didn't have reservations we went to the Non-reservation line and were sat fairly quickly with a group of 6 at a table for 10 but were told it would have been a wait for a table of four as they were all reserved. Food was good not over the top great but certainly much better then I would have had at home each night (hope my wife doesn't shoot me for that comment). We talked to the Matre'd on the way out from dinner and reserved an 8:30 seating for the rest of the cruise. Each night we arrived near 8:30 and were seated without a problem sometimes asked if we wanted a table for 4 or if we would share with others. Either way we had a great meal and usually walked out quite full (loosen my belt full). I had the Loveboat dream each night along with either a scoop of ice cream or other tasty treat.

Communication: The intercom system needs work and in general I think that there could have been better communication throughout the trip. Starting with the Captain, I think someone should hold the button for him as he kept letting go apparently and he would cut out and in.

I have to go pick-up the film I dropped off earlier so I will continue later...

Mark D.

4/10/04 Caribbean Princess

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008080&cdt=2004;4;10;12;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Crown-92; Grand-01...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mark D.:

The first night we didn't want to change out of our shorts from the afternoon so we skipped the dining room and went to the Horizon court. .<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought that the Horizon Court closed at 5:30. Are you saying that the dinner buffet is offered in the Horizon Court?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mark D.:

Starting with the Captain, I think someone should hold the button for him as he kept letting go apparently and he would cut out and in.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Haha. I would laugh about that everytime. Mid announcement he would stop talking and then 2 second later those 3 bells would ring and he would continue. They definaltey need to employ a button holder for him.

**Mandee**

2/03 Golden Princess

4/04 Caribbean Princess

pejay

Yes the HC was open for dinner I think until 10:30-11:30 then the Cafe Caribe was sit down through the night which just means that the food is easier to keep fresh for the limited amount of customers after midnight.

And for those totally dissapointed with the HC then all I can say is you didn't try hard enough, I mean on these message boards you can hear fifty different ways that if there isn't something you see "JUST ASK FOR IT". For example - I put some excellent roasted peppers is a vinager sauce on my plate and thought out loud that I wished I had some fresh mozzarella to go with it and the guy behind the counter heard me and asked me what table I was going to. I went to sit and got my drink and when I just started to eat he rushed over and brought a whole plate for everyone to enjoy. I asked if he ran all the way to Italy and he replied no just down to deck 4.

Sorry I went on like that but it bothers me that people think they are going to get or expect to get gormet in the HC...just eat drink and be happy...I was!!!

Oh and to Scarlet Knight I don't know about you but I had no problem getting a seat at Club Fusion on the night of the Princess Idol, in fact they even offered me a seat on stage...oh maybe because I sang in it? I wished it wasn't so crowded that night actually but other then me there was some great talent that night. Other then that I didn't feel crowded ever during the rest of the cruise in fact I was amazed how many kids I saw during disembarkation as I had not seen them during the cruise.

Mark D.

4/10/04 Caribbean Princess

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008080&cdt=2004;4;10;12;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Crown-92; Grand-01...

The name of the captain is Guiseppe Romano.

Bruce

Crown 1991 Eastern Caribbean

Dreamward 1994 Bermuda

Sun 1997 Western Caribbean

Grand 1999 Mediterranean

Dawn 2000 Southern Caribbean

Ocean 2001 Mexican Riviera

Crown 2001 Hawaii/Tahiti

Dawn 2002 Eastern Caribbean

Conquest 2003 W. Caribbean

Dawn 2003 Transit Panama Canal

Captain Guiseppe Romano

Tom M

Chandris Brittanis & Gallileo

Celebrity Zenith

Carnival Destiny

Dolphin IV,Dolphin Seabreeze Dolphin Oceanbreeze

RCCL Song of Norway & Explorer of the Seas

Grand Princess & Dawn Princes

<FONT color=blue size=4>Caribbean Princess here we come!!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;5;8;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

hullamod.gif

<FONT color=blue size=4> UNTIL PURE RELAXATION ON THE ISLAND PRINCESS IN HAWAII!!!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=228b22&cdt=2004;10;6;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

pejay

Yes the HC was open for dinner I think until 10:30-11:30 then the Cafe Caribe was sit down through the night which just means that the food is easier to keep fresh for the limited amount of customers after midnight.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mark...that is really good news. I just don't understand all the conflicting reports about the Horizon Court closing at 5:30. Someone even printed out the dining options and times that were in the brown folder in your cabin...which states that the HC is only open til 5:30. I agree that the staff bends over backwards to accommodate the guests. All you have to do is ask and it appears:-))

Donna, ? can you have meals from the dining room menu on your balcony ( not the $50pp lobster dinner), my travel agent asked princess & they said yes, whatever is on the dining room menus can be delivered to your cabin......is this true?????

Thanks

Senation-98

Spirit-02

Legend-03

Legend-04

Quote:

The shower was quite small and I don't know how anyone heavier then myself could have done it as you had to get out of the shower to pick up the soap if you dropped it, unless you were a contortionist. Cabin steward was helpful and efficient.

Wow! I know Princess staff is helpful but i never imagined you could call your cabin steward to help you pick up the soap.

Just kidding (couldn't resist)

Archived