St. Kitts via rental car on your own

cruisegal96

We've never been to St. Kitts, not really seeing an excursion I want to do through RCCL, we are considering renting a car & going to the Timothy Hill area for the awesome views & hitting the beach. We have done this before in St. Thomas/St. John without any problems, just wondering if this is a good island to tour on your own?

If you are only planning on going to Timothy Hill and then going to the beach, it would be cheaper to grab a tour/taxi at the port and tell them where you want to go and skip all the usual stops of a full blown island tour. Renting a car is a great way to explore on your own if you want to see the whole island.

We're having the same lack of inspiration from Carnival's excursions, and the other tours seem pretty rushed - I know we could spend hours at Brimstone Hill Fortress, for example (depending on the heat of course) and we'd like to have a day doing our own thing - St Kitts seems a good option for this.

Last year we did a tour in St. Kitts with Thenford Grey – what a wonderful tour guide! Can’t say enough good things about it! We did a quick drive thru the town of Basseterre, stopped at Romney Manor and the Batik Shop, then chose to get dropped off earlier (instead of continuing on to Brimstone Hill Fortress) at a little “rustic” beach (think Gilligan’s Island) on South Friar’s Bay, called ShipWreck Beach. There was a $10 charge (if I remember correctly) for 2 lounge chairs & umbrella, cheap Carib Beer, and great snorkeling! We also walked along the beach to the right (when facing the water) to the far end where there was a “fancier” resort-type beach, for those that prefer that, but we loved our little spot! There were mongoose and monkeys in the trees that were cute to watch. On the way back to the ship we stopped to see the most amazing view at the look out at Timothy Hill – grabbed a few more beers (3 for $5!) and ended up sharing one with a monkey riding a donkey! :eek:

We are heading to St. Kitts again on our Carnival Cruise in January and this time would like to just go to Brimstone Hill Fortress since we missed it last time. Then back to Shipwreck Beach for the afternoon to cool off, with maybe a quick stop at Timothy Hill to see that view again. Does anyone know the distance from port to Brimstone and what a taxi may cost to just do this on our own once we get to port? We really aren't comfortable with the idea of renting a car.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello. Just returned from a cruise with 4 ports of call. We rented a car at each port and in San Juan, the departure port. This is our preferred method of exploring cruise ports. That being said, following our visit to St. Kitts, we determined that renting was more expensive than a taxi tour. Also, driving here is on the left. Not hard, but you do need to pay more attention. Talked to others who got a taxi tour with a beach stop and some drinks included. It was less than rental and paying for the required drivers license. Also, the experience at the rental agency near the port was the least friendly and most complicated than any of the other islands.

My two cents and recent experience.

Gail

Hello. Just returned from a cruise with 4 ports of call. We rented a car at each port and in San Juan, the departure port. This is our preferred method of exploring cruise ports. That being said, following our visit to St. Kitts, we determined that renting was more expensive than a taxi tour. Also, driving here is on the left. Not hard, but you do need to pay more attention. Talked to others who got a taxi tour with a beach stop and some drinks included. It was less than rental and paying for the required drivers license. Also, the experience at the rental agency near the port was the least friendly and most complicated than any of the other islands.

My two cents and recent experience.

Gail

Thanks for this. Can I ask what rental company you used for your car? I have found cars plus the licence for less than $100 (US) but couldn't find a tour for two for this price.

Driving on the left isn't an issue as I'm from the UK - though I heard the cars are set up to drive on the right with the steering wheel on the left, like an American car would be, was that your experience? I would probably find that odd!

• Like 1

Thanks for this. Can I ask what rental company you used for your car? I have found cars plus the licence for less than $100 (US) but couldn't find a tour for two for this price.

Driving on the left isn't an issue as I'm from the UK - though I heard the cars are set up to drive on the right with the steering wheel on the left, like an American car would be, was that your experience? I would probably find that odd!

Our taxis to and from Shipwreck Beach Bar last week were both set up in the wheel on the right/British style.

Hello. We used Avis. Straight ahead off the pier about two blocks and then one block to the right. Ask anyone. Not far. It was $80 for rental, $24 for the license and about $15 for gas. As we waked back to our ship after returning the car we met some folks from the UK off the Azamara cruise line ship docked next to us. They got a tour at the pier. Said it was $35 each and allowed for an hour and half at a beach at end of tour and rum punch. Tour was probably only a few hours and they probably got it later in the morning when the prices are more negotiable. On the other hand, we had the car all day. It took about one hour to get the car from the time we walked into the Avis office. Very slow service on site. So that cut into our day.

Driving was on left and steering wheel was on right, as you are used to. I kept going to the wrong side of the car!

If you want the freedom of renting, go for it. I was happy we had the car, but decided if I ever go to St Kitts on a cruise again, I will try to off the ship, last minute, get a taxi tour experience for a change.

Cheers!

Gail

Renting is not for everyone. Yes, it is can be more expensive than a tour considering all of the costs involved. Some drivers are not comfortable driving on the left.

I agree. We usually always rent a car in ports. Don't mind driving on left side of road. On this cruise, in all ports other than St Kitts, the car rental, including insurance and gas, was much cheaper than the organized tours. Not sure why. Oh well. (we rented a car in San Juan, Aruba and Curacao during this cruise)