Footstools - a request

Mango Mike

This picture really helps in answering my question. From a visual perspective, I'm guessing if I made mine 12"-14" high, I wouldn't be too far off. Looks easy enough that I might make 2 so I can enjoy 1 as well.

When are you planning on making it? I'd love to see your plans. We are going on the Silhouette a week from today and my husband is a woodworking tinkerer as well :)

When are you planning on making it? I'd love to see your plans. We are going on the Silhouette a week from today and my husband is a woodworking tinkerer as well :)

Plans??? - You overestimate me. I'm the type the designs/engineers as I go.

I was planning on making it out of tubular aluminum (hopefully strong enough and light weight) and fold-able so it can be packed in our luggage. Never really though of making it out of wood, but now that you referenced it, might not be a bad idea - design it to somewhat replicate a TV tray. Might be a little heavier, but would be sturdier.

Doubt I'll get it done before you leave (sorry) but I'll try to post a picture if/when I get it done (starting to get cold - don't like "tinkering" in frigid temps).

Plans??? - You overestimate me. I'm the type the designs/engineers as I go.

I was planning on making it out of tubular aluminum (hopefully strong enough and light weight) and fold-able so it can be packed in our luggage. Never really though of making it out of wood, but now that you referenced it, might not be a bad idea - design it to somewhat replicate a TV tray. Might be a little heavier, but would be sturdier.

Doubt I'll get it done before you leave (sorry) but I'll try to post a picture if/when I get it done (starting to get cold - don't like "tinkering" in frigid temps).

Ha! Thinking about my own husband, I realize how silly my request was ;) He did build me an amazing breakfast in bed tray at the request of our daughter last year, and you're right, a TV tray type stool would totally work, plus you could always plop a pillow on top for extra comfort. And if you're feeling super ambitious, you could put extra rivets (divets??) to make it adjustable. Or just grab a beach ball :D:D

It boggles my mind that you would build a footstool and then pack it in a suitcase. The beach ball idea, the garbage can idea all seem to make more sense to me. We used the small coffee table on our balcony as a footstool and brought the glass coffee table out to serve as a table.

I've also used my carry-on suitcase with a pillow and then a towel on top. Worked fine.

PS hoping to see pics of what you build

Edited by monicajay

We packed 2 of the little tripod camping seats before and used them as seats when the kids came to our cabin (they had an inside) and foot stools since we didn't have them on our "sweet sixteen" balcony. They worked great and we use them all the time at home. Surprising how useful they are.

41ZWhSLxqOL._AC_UL160_SR160,160_.jpg

Gail

It boggles my mind that you would build a footstool and then pack it in a suitcase. The beach ball idea, the garbage can idea all seem to make more sense to me. We used the small coffee table on our balcony as a footstool and brought the glass coffee table out to serve as a table.

I've also used my carry-on suitcase with a pillow and then a towel on top. Worked fine.

PS hoping to see pics of what you build

Granted, all the other ideas would work but designing and building one, well - it's more of a challenge to see if I can do it. If when it's done (if I get it done - weather may hinder my progress), if it's to bulky/heavy/cumbersome/ridiculous looking to pack (take), then I'll scrap the whole idea.

More than anything, it gives me something to do instead of sitting on my butt watching TV.