teenagers in room

K Kruisers

We have my grandson (19) and a friend coming on a cruise with us. Since you have to have an adult (21) in the room, we were thinking of a way of getting one of us in the room with each of us then switching after. Can you get away with doing this?

Yes, you can. Just put one of you in room and the other minor w other adult. Once aboard go to pursers desk and switch the room cards to show boys in one and you two in other. We have done this before.

Edited by cruizinrican

We have done that on several cruises. We have two lads. We just book one lad for one parent. Then on board, we get extra room cards. We also limit spending on the lads cards. You don't have to do that if they are paying their own way though.

We usually booked the lads in insides across the hall from us. Once we had adjoining balconies.

It is very common to book like this for families.

We have my grandson (19) and a friend coming on a cruise with us. Since you have to have an adult (21) in the room, we were thinking of a way of getting one of us in the room with each of us then switching after. Can you get away with doing this?

You can book them in their own room and they do not have to do the ship. Age 18-20, have no restrictions on where they can be on the ship as long as their guardian is on the ship. (13-17 need to be within 3 rooms of guardian. Under 13, needs to do the switch).

**EDIT: This only applies to your kids (or grandkids). So, you would need to do the switching if you bring someone that isn't related to you. ***

Edited by airmj2123

The guidelines for this are on the website. We booked three rooms. Hubby, myself and the 5 y/o in one room....our boys, 17, 13 & 13 in another room and the girls 14 & 12 in the third room. Since the rooms were together, no problem. I thought I would have to book and switch but our PVP took care of everything at time of booking.

From their website:

Guests 12 and younger must be booked in a cabin directly across the hall or next door.

Guest 13-17 can be booked up to three cabins away.

Guests 18-20 have no restrictions and can book whatever location they choose

Edited by JMHAM1

If you are interested in the Cheers program but only want to purchase one, book an adult in each cabin. The kids, obviously, won't have to buy one.

Then go to guest services to switch the sail & sign cards around so you have key access to your cabin and you & your hubby can stay together in the same cabin.

OP is right in that they are travelling with a friend of their grandsons so they are not the guardians (not sure that they count as a guardian for their grandson either) so they will have to have one adult booked in each room. Booking minors in their own room without an adult is only possible if the minors' guardians are onboard. I personally don't think of a 19-year-old as a minor, but Carnival doesn't seem to want the under-21 crowd on its ships without a parent or some other adult who will be responsible for them.

Book one adult in each room and get extra keys. The advantage is you can now book only one Cheers program if that is what you wanted for each adult. You can have different credit cards for each different account in a room since each will have their own individual on-board purchases(we do this all the time as we cruise with grandparents frequently)

Another advantage, besides the Cheers program I've heard about, if both adults are CCL stockholders, each having 100+ shares in separate brokerage accounts, then both can get the OBC, as they are booked into separate cabins. Only one CCL stockholder OBC allowed per cabin. :D

So if we sail and our 17 year old son and his 18 year old friend (not our child) are in their own cabin we have to book with an adult in the room then?? I thought it was fine as long as they booked with an adult over 25. (Cabins are beside each other)

I just re-read the policy and it looks like it has been tweeked again (I looked at it thoroughly when I booked my kids last April.) It states that all guests must have a guardian who is 25 but it doesn't need to be a legal guardian. Guests who are 17 must be booked within three doors of this guardian and guests who are 18 can be booked anywhere. So maybe it isn't an issue anymore if you aren't the legal guardian to be in the room (my fault)

Regarding the 17 and 18 year old. I booked my kids in an interior room within 3 doors of us. We are a family of 5 so have to book 2 cabins. My oldest will be 14, but my youngest is only 10. Because the oldest is 14 the 3-room policy applied versus the directly accross the hall policy for the under-13 crowd, so maybe you can book the two teens anywhere? When I booked it the PVP said "lets just see if this gets through booking and if not we will change adults and kids around". Apparently it got through booking. Doesn't seem like Carnival is real clear on the policies!!

From the website:

"Guests Under the Age of 21 MUST travel with a relative or guardian of 25 years of age or older

The guardian does not need to be a legal guardian

The bookings must be cross-referenced with the relative or guardian’s stateroom and documented properly

When minors (18 and under) are not traveling with a relative, we strongly recommend bringing an original signed letter from the absent parent/legal guardian authorizing the minor to travel.

Guests who are 21 to 24 years of age may travel with their minor children."