adjoining studio cabin

vigurl

So I have decided on an NCL cruise and will be booking tonight or tomorrow. I am going with a friend of mine and we have decided on adjoining studio cabins.

I searched youtube and google and could not find any pics of these connected cabins. Any past passengers on here have any?

I don't think they have connecting studio cabins.

They do. There's actually youtube and photos that shows the connecting studio rooms - Someone (forgot which poster) took a picture of one looking into another studio room on the Escape.

I'm a bit surprised at this given that they are for solo travellers. Sort of defeats the object of them really.

No it does not. My best friend and I are both married. None of our husbands like to cruise. We want to cruise together but not share a room. I have kids so on cruises I sleep in until 9. She does the sunrise yoga at 5 am. Hence we prefer a connecting room.

I'm a bit surprised at this given that they are for solo travellers. Sort of defeats the object of them really.

Not really - Sometimes you have friends or relatives that are traveling together and they need each need a room with their own separate bathroom/shower/bed. Whatever keeps the peace and sanity, lol. :p

Not really - Sometimes you have friends or relatives that are traveling together and they need each need a room with their own separate bathroom/shower/bed. Whatever keeps the peace and sanity, lol. :p

Ditto. Last cruise I shared a room with my best friend. She is a slob and I am a neat freak. By day 3 I started cleaning her side of the room b/c I couldn't deal with the clutter.

Ditto. Last cruise I shared a room with my best friend. She is a slob and I am a neat freak. By day 3 I started cleaning her side of the room b/c I couldn't deal with the clutter.

lol, at least you can close the door to her side of the room. :D I totally understand the situation, don't want to go through with it again for a while - I find traveling solo anywhere, saves me money and frustation. :p

So I have decided on an NCL cruise and will be booking tonight or tomorrow. I am going with a friend of mine and we have decided on adjoining studio cabins.

I searched youtube and google and could not find any pics of these connected cabins. Any past passengers on here have any?

What ship?

We are booking the Breakaway but I am actually fine seeing this example of cabin on any ship period. I just want to have an idea what it looks like

Found the picture for the Escape adjoining studio room (same setup for the Breakaway and Getaway):

http://www.depping-design.de/test/displayimage.php?album=343&pid=11453#top_display_media

Edited by maywell

Seems a bit strange really why NCL would make the studios which are meant for people travelling alone adjoining.

As I said previously it does defeat the object of them

Because again, in layman terms - not all travel companions like to stay in the same room with each other for various reasons.

Sorry that you don't understand what I am saying. I'm merely pointing out that going on holiday solo means that, as in not with anyone else. The idea of the studios is so the SOLO travellers can meet each other.

Personally I wouldn't go on holiday with someone I wasn't comfortable being around all the time, but that's just my opinion.

Sorry that you don't understand what I am saying. I'm merely pointing out that going on holiday solo means that, as in not with anyone else. The idea of the studios is so the SOLO travellers can meet each other.

Personally I wouldn't go on holiday with someone I wasn't comfortable being around all the time, but that's just my opinion.

There's some that do completely travel by themselves with no one (like me). Then there are others that are sailing with a group like a family reunion or as couple/pair and prefer to have their own room for whatever reason - nothing really wrong with that. Its a just case of "to each, the own".

Yeah I can understand that in some cases. However my main point is why would ncl create studios for people travelling together. Initially the idea was that they were for people travelling alone and who wanted to meet others. Having them occupied by people travelling with others goes against that. They encourage this with the adjoining cabins.

What happens if you are on your own and adjoined can you lock the door[emoji113][emoji113][emoji13]

Yes, because there's 2 doors and space in-between the doors; just make sure to keep your side of door locked. That's why the other non-adjoined rooms usually sell out faster - no knocking on that door because there's no surprises, lol.

Yeah I can understand that in some cases. However my main point is why would ncl create studios for people travelling together. Initially the idea was that they were for people travelling alone and who wanted to meet others. Having them occupied by people travelling with others goes against that. They encourage this with the adjoining cabins.

Why they did that - Because they understood since when the Epic was made, that's there's people that travel together that prefer to have thier own rooms. I understand its a difficult concept for you to grasp that there's people who do that, but it is what it is.

They each pay their fares for the studio rooms and it works for those people - who am I to judge? Because posters here got upset that I had got a "free" mini-suite upgrade all to myself last year for a massive price drop and just paid the usual DSC amount for myself. They were upset that NCL only charged me for one person, when they felt like I should had paid double - Wonder if the same people would had done like I did and tip the room steward more in cash everyday, even disembark. :rolleyes:;) :p

Edited by maywell

However my main point is why would ncl create studios for people travelling together. Initially the idea was that they were for people travelling alone and who wanted to meet others.
The idea was broader than that from the very beginning. This is from the original press release about the studio cabins in the run up to the launch of Norwegian Epic in 2010:
Norwegian Epic's Studios are the first staterooms designed and priced for single occupancy […] Since many of the Studio staterooms are connecting, there is also the opportunity for friends to travel together while giving each their own private space.

And for a while they even let two people share a studio, so these cabins have never had only one legitimate purpose according to NCL.

It is true that whenever there is a thread about people booking studios when they are in fact travelling with others on board, there are usually other people who get annoyed because they believe the studios should be reserved for solo travellers who are truly alone on board. And when it's a married couple that decides to occupy two studios instead of sleeping together in a double-occupancy stateroom like God intended, the discussion can get downright nasty! But the bottom line is that if a studio cabin is available, NCL is happy to let anyone book it. It's like any other cabin on board: if you want it, you have to get there first.

Edited by hawkeyetlse