Armed Guards/Soldiers in Belize???

lmerr1955

This questions is for my fellow cruisers who have already been to Belize. Friends of ours just returned today and said that while in Belize they saw many armed guards along the paths leading to the pick up points or along the pathways to town. One of them is a cop here and they both were taken back by the sight and somewhat uncomfortable. Their tour ended up being cancelled c/o torrential rain and so they returned to the ship with no desire to explore further.

Have any of you who have recently been to Belize also experienced this? I am used to travelling and understand somewhat the concerns in some of the countries for the safety of the tourist, but I didn't know if this was something new to Belize??

Would really appreciate some feedback, we will be leaving in 2 weeks and would like to hear what you have to say.

In Belize, we were told by the ship to definitely book an excursion here as there wasn’t anything to do in town and it could be a little dangerous. We have been to Belize before and chose to go Ambergris Caye to swim and snorkel with the Nurse sharks and stingrays. This turned out to be an awesome excursion and we loved it, but it was nowhere near Belize City. We chose to take the tender into the city this time to check it out. I am a fairly large man so I wasn’t too concerned about any danger we might encounter. Wow! Yet another pleasant surprise. This place was awesome! There were stores everywhere with all the touristy things, local crafts, etc. There was even a mall right there at the port. All of this was in a very secured environment at the port. We felt brave and decided to venture beyond the secured walls and security officers and went outside the walls. Believe it or not, this is where the only 4 stores that Carnival recommends are located. Suffice it to say, the only thing scary outside of the walls was the locals approaching you to sell you their crafts or take you on a tour. Hardly life-threatening devices, but this tends to bother some people nonetheless. If you have ever visited Jamaica this environment is very similar minus the drug offers. LOL We never once felt threatened or ill at ease. We enjoyed this port immensely

Even in Cozumel we encountered the automatic weapon supplied military guards at the Puerto Maya Pier. Remember it is post 9-11, every country is trying to make you feel more secure. And yes I am retired police officer too.

Ha ha, I wasn't surprised to see Oceanbaby chime in either. I was just noticing from reading some of her other posts that they've supposedly only been in Belize twice... yet they've done the cave tubing several times, plus she mentioned in another post that they've also been to Caye Caulk and gone snorkling. How on earth could you fit all that in during 2 visits??

I think I smell a vendor! :rolleyes:

We just returned from Belize last week. My husband is also a police officer. He did not feel very safe when we ventured outside the mall area. At one point he rushed me back toward the mall, I am not sure what he saw but he was ready to get out of there. We did take a tour with someone local, they picked us up at the mall and dropped us back off there. If you want you can read my review on them on the Belize board. As far as seeing armed guards I didn't notice any more than some of the other ports.

I appreciate the input, I have been on 5 cruises so far and have except for my 1st cruise (when I didn't know any different) always booked tours on my own, mostly from reading these boards and researching on my own. I only wanted to be sure that nothing had changed since last year. Yes we have been to Jamaica twice and both times we had a great time!!!

I am very much aware of the post 9/11 security (an original NYC here) and like I said I've done quite a bit of travel. My main concern was for my visually impaired husband and my son. I kinda have to keep my eye (no pun intended) on both of them. I just wanted to know what I was looking at.

We have booked the shark/ray alley tour and are very excited about snorkeling in the beautiful reefs off Belize!!!

Thanks again to everyone who answered me.

Archived