Physical exertion on Lamanai tour

ginadis2002

I'm just about certain I'm going to be booking a Lamanai tour when we're in Belize. My family is more than capable of climbing ruins but my mom (who's 75) is concerned that she won't be able to handle the tour. She's a walker and in good physical health. Can anyone give me some information as to the strenuousness of taking a tour to Lamanai?

Is there another tour in Cozumel or Costa Maya that would be easier for her to manage (Tulum, perhaps?)

ginadis2002,

I took the New River Safari and Lamanai tour last November. I didn't think it was strenuous at all---just minimal walking at a slow pace with several stops for about an hour. The only strenuous thing about it would be climbing the ruins.

I'm just about certain I'm going to be booking a Lamanai tour when we're in Belize. My family is more than capable of climbing ruins but my mom (who's 75) is concerned that she won't be able to handle the tour. She's a walker and in good physical health. Can anyone give me some information as to the strenuousness of taking a tour to Lamanai?

Is there another tour in Cozumel or Costa Maya that would be easier for her to manage (Tulum, perhaps?)

While not as old as your mother (I am middle aged), I have arthritis in both knees, one ankle and one hip. I managed the Lamanai tour just fine (but I made sure I took every opportunity to sit). There is really only a about a mile or two of walking. And only climbing if you want to. There was one area were the path was fairly uneven (rocks and roots) but my husband just stayed close and assisted me occasionally. If your mother is a walker (I am not really) and in good health I don't think that she will have any problems - bring lots of water though !

When we took this tour last year my 49yr old husband had just started walking again after having his knee replaced. He took it slow and had no problems. He did not climb anything. Except for a few minor areas where the path goes slightly uphill, it seemed very level to me (Well actually it all seemed level to me, and I had a hard time remembering later those uphill parts). There were lots of stops, not a fast pace at all. My 80 yr old father (active and healthy) would have no trouble, my 80 yr old mother (inactive and wobbly on her feet) would not be able to make it.

There is lots to see even from the river and the landing area. Our tour guide spent much time at the museum and at a palapa giving us background info and she could do all that. I would highly encourage you to make the trip expecting she could do it, but if, when she gets there, you realize she can't then she could maybe wait at the Jaguar temple plaza (just over a slight hill from the museum) which had plenty to look at (the temple, the jaguar masks, the plaza, the residential area etc) I personally would loved to have spent more time there.

This was a great tour and I am still very glad we took it-- with our 18 year old son who also thoroughly enjoyed it.

Su

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone who has done the Lamanai and River tour give me some info about who you booked with.

We are going in Dec with Royal Caribbean and I am wondering if we should do the RCI tour or go with an independent?

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Can anyone who has done the Lamanai and River tour give me some info about who you booked with.

We are going in Dec with Royal Caribbean and I am wondering if we should do the RCI tour or go with an independent?

we did not investigate independent tours on our Princess cruise last December. Belize is a tender port, so that RT time has to be factored into any excursion. It is a long tour and we barely made the last (or next to last?) tender back. In a port like Belize, I would recommend a ship's tour to be on the safe side.

It is an outstanding tour and I definitely recommend it.

When we did the Lamanai-New River tour, we did a ship's excursion (NCL Sun). It is an all-day tour and we just did not want to chance arriving back late. As it was we took the 2nd last tender back to the ship. Also when we priced out doing the tour independently, the price difference was not great (The ship's tour was only about $10 more - which we felt was reasonable for peace of mind.)

When we did the Lamanai-New River tour, we did a ship's excursion (NCL Sun). It is an all-day tour and we just did not want to chance arriving back late. As it was we took the 2nd last tender back to the ship. Also when we priced out doing the tour independently, the price difference was not great (The ship's tour was only about $10 more - which we felt was reasonable for peace of mind.)

Ditto, and ditto.

We went with RCCL and the best price for an independent was only $10 less. For that amount of savings the peace of mind that I was on a ship tour which would not leave me behind on an all day excursion was worth it.

We loved this tour, the best of the cruise for my DH and 18 yr old son

Su

Archived