Panama Canal - Princess vs Celebrity

CruiserJill

We're planning a longer Panama Canal cruise in Jan of next year. Our question is whether to go with the Coral Princess (RT from Ft. Lauderale) or Celebrity Galaxy (RT from Galveston).

We've cruised before on PRincess, and really liked it - plus we're captains club members. But Celebrity has a better itenerary for our needs, though we've not cruised Celebrity.

Can someone contrast and compare these two cruise lines and the two ships to help us make our decision?

Thanks!!

Although this does not answer your question (though many people had many opinions on the Celebrity board), we did the RT from Ft.Lauderdale on the Coral in March of 2003, and loved it. This was our 3rd cruise on Princess in 2 years, and went on the Coral when she was brand new.

If you do nothing else, definitely do the Ocean-to-Ocean tour, where you go through the other 2 locks on a relatively small boat. The only way to experience the Canal, IMHO.

We did experience long lines for PC dining the first night (PC dining seemed to run smoother on the Golden and the Sea than on the Coral's first few cruises), but learned to call ahead and never had to wait again.

p.s. we're just a few exits east of you on the MA Pike

I recommend Princess on this one. The Galaxy is a fine ship, but the Princess ships are newer and have more balconies. You want one on this cruise. You may get better food in main dining room on Celebrity, but in other areas Princess is better. Have sailed on both and been to canal.

Horizon, 9/5/04, Sapphire Princess, 6/13/004 ?

Zuiderdam-2003, Constellation -2003, Infinity-2002, Vision of the Seas-2002,

Mercury-2001, Norwegian Sky-2000, Horizon-2000, Ryndam-1999, Grand Princess-1999, Westerdam-1998, Grand Princess-1998, Oriania-1997

1985-1996-3-HAL, 1-RCCL, 2-NCL, 11-Princess, 1-Royal, 1-Cunard

I cruised on the Coral last April and loved it. It's a beautiful ship and the crew and staff were extremely friendly and helpful. We had no problems with PC dining except for the first night which was somewhat chaotic. I'm not sure what the Galaxy itinerary is, but if the itinerary is the most important factor to you than I would go with that. Otherwise, you can't lose on the Coral.

I am also thinking about taking the Panama Canal

cruise next year. probably won't be able to go until April though. I heard that the full transet is better than the partial. I just don't know if we will be able to go full transit. If not would it be better to go round trip from Galvestan or Ft. Lauderdale.

I don't know if my spelling is right if not please forgive me.

5/6 Regal Princess/ San Francisco

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;5;6;15;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Did the PC aboard the Ocean Princess back on 4/02 and had a great time.Can't imagine Celebrity being better but I have nothing to compare to.

"a bad day at sea is better than a great day at work and a lousy day at sea is still pretty damn good!"

Just back from Island Princess...loved it. Ship is beautiful. entertainment great (although dead after 11:00 PM). Food was mediocre to good. Loved ceramics classes on sea days.

Recommend the Eberra Indian tour in Panama (very national geographic)and the aerial tram in Costa Rica. Do not go on Paradise Island adventure in cozumel...not as represented

Hi:

Just got off a Celebrity cruise on Monday and although I haven't been on the Galaxy I can speak about Celebrity. They are a great line and I don't think you will be disappointed.

We sailed on the Coral Princess last April-03 and it was great. It's the first time we had sailed Princess and I loved Celebrity but we are now going to book another Panana Canal cruise on the Coral for Next April because we enjoyed Princess so much. I looked into the Galaxy on board but felt like Princess was a little more relaxing.

I don't think you can go wrong with either line so the itinerary will have to be your deciding factor.

Don't forget that Celebrity also has gone into an agreement with Cirque de Solil- Pardon the spelling- but if the entertainment is important consider that.

Good Luck

Charlene

4/16 Summit

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008000&cdt=2004;4;16;16;30;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Archived