Please Help me choose a trip insurance plan! Confused.

skarletohara

I have always purchased the cruise ship company's insurance in the past for like $89 per person. However, this
time I wish to go through insuremytrip.com
and purchase one of the plans from Access America or another reputable company as it will be cheaper for the same amount of coverage that the cruise lines offer. Can anyone suggest the ideal amounts, i.e., for
evacuation, et cet? The reason I'm asking, is
because most plans seem to offer a $10,000 medical and
then a $20,000 evacuation/helicoper plan.
I'm only 40 years old, but my mother who is 70
will be traveling with me on our next cruise. However, she too is in excellent health.-
So my question is are the amounts I've just listed adequate coverage? I mean, I notice
that Princess' basic insurance covers about the same or is it advisable to get the plan
that's a little pricier and offers $200,000 of evacuation insurance with a $50,000 medical/sickness? I don't want to be "overinsured".
I guess my question is: Why in the world would
one need $200,000 worth of medical evacuation
coverage? Is that structured for European cruises or Panama cruises or something when
you might have to be medi-vac'd home farther?

We're simply going to Alaska and wish to purchase a reasonable plan, but not an excessive plan.
Thanks for any help

Carnival Holiday 6/92
RCCL Monarch of the Seas 6/94
Celebrity Infinity 6/28/01
Star Princess 2/08/03
Golden Princess 12/06/03

Not all that long ago, before our Golden cruise, I looked at insurance in depth.

There were others that were less expensive or had a little more of this or a little less of that but I really liked the straighforward coverage in the Princess Travelcare or Princess Gold .

Plus, I think I saw it work first-hand on our Golden cruise. Some people had lost their luggage somehow, not sure who's fault it was, before boarding. Princess put them in the ship's stores for clothing and their luggage was waiting on the pier when we arrived in St Maarten. I don't know if it was the insurance or just the way Princess does business but they saved those people's cruise for sure.

Happy Cruising

Chris

[url="http://www.LifeIsCruising.com"]www.LifeIsCruising.com[/url]

Next up:
Caribbean Princess 06/26/04
Star Princess 10/24/04
Carnival Victory 12/19/04
Carnival Miracle 03/13/05

I used Travelex' Travel Lite policy. It has $50,000 evacuation coverage and all the things it covers are primary coverages.

Everybody has different needs so compare closely.

Bill

[img]http://home.comcast.net/~w.coleman43/1a.jpg[/img]

[url="http://home.comcast.net/~w.coleman43"]Caribbean Princess Eastern Caribbean cruise page[/url]

Lots of other things to consider as well...Travelex also provides cancellation insurance in case an immediate family member, or your childs caregiver gets sick and you need to cancel, or return early.
They also cover trip delay..missed flights etc that you'll be reimbursed for if you need to catch up with the ship.
About 20 years ago my husbands family was on a land based trip in Mexico...the tour bus they were on rolled and my SIL had to be evac'd back to the states. Not cheap.
We ALWAYS take insurance as we feel it's worth the piece of mind.

Sky Princess 01/1999 Australia and New Zealand
Sky Princess 03/2000 China
Royal Princess 02/2002 South America
Golden Princess 05/2003 Med
Sapphire Princess 03/2005 Sydney to Bangkok

March 2005 - Sydney to Bangkok on the Sapphire
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2005;3;7;20;00;00&timezone=GMT+1030[/img]

evca should be for $30-50K. Youhave to figure you may have to pay for a doctor or nurse on the flight back with you. $20K is to low.

Hopfully a Hawiian Cruise

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2006;12;5;11;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img] Until we sail away on the ocean blue

Navigator of the Seas Western Crib 08/03
Dawn Princess - Eastern Carb 01/03
Dawn Princess Panamal Canal 11/02

Thank you for some enlightening tips.
AFter cruising last time, we witnessed someone
being evacuated when we were 100 miles from
the nearest hospital which was Puerto Rico.
It seemed like quite an ordeal to get the
passenger off the ship, into the helicopter.
I can only imagine the cost for the hospital
stay down in Puerto Rico, et cet.

Carnival Holiday 6/92
RCCL Monarch of the Seas 6/94
Celebrity Infinity 6/28/01
Star Princess 2/08/03
Golden Princess 12/06/03

Archived