Reviews of free tours in the Med

Erica@cruisecritic

The Cruise Critic editorial team is wrapping up a Mediterranean cruise on Viking Star, so we wanted to start a thread to review the free tours. (We're reviewing the paid tours in a previous thread.) Please weigh in with your opinions!

I only tried one, the walking tour in Toulon. I did the first morning tour and wasn't too impressed, but other cruisers on the afternoon tour liked their guide better. The truth is there isn't much to see in Toulon, and it's more like a get-your-bearings-to-return-on-your-own-later tour, than anything else. It's an hour of walking through town followed by an hourlong boat ride, which is really to see the naval base and various forts around the harbor. Also, in December, it's quite chilly! It wasn't for me, but if you like boats and military history, it's likely fascinating.

I would recommend walking to the local market on your own in the morning (it closes at 1 pm) and taking an afternoon tour when it's sunnier -- if you're doing a winter cruise.

Included excursions can vary greatly on Viking, and many depend on the guide. I had the same experience in Toulon -- it was small enough to navigate on my own, but I didn't know that until I was led straight into town by our guide. What would've been beneficial on the tour, was to gather context about the city and the area, or access to certain churches or buildings, but there was none offered on my specific tour; the guide seemed rushed. Also, the descriptions in the brochure could be better. Toulon is rooted in military history, but this was the bulk of the tour -- lists of tankers and aircraft carriers that made me glaze over. Despite the exceptional value, knowing what to expect on an included excursion can help reduce disgruntled passengers who feel that most of the day was spent on the bus and not the sights, or being lectured to without free time, etc.

While Rome has exponentially more to offer as a city, the guide was also way more knowledgeable about the sites, sensitive to allowing free time at various stops and for lunch, and more congenial to the needs of the group across an all-day tour. To compare the value, the included Rome tour offered the bus transfer from the port of Livorno, over an hour away to Rome, stops at the Colosseum, Pantheon, Trevi Fountain, and even Vatican City. She offered suggestions for places to eat, the best gelato and more.

The knack with excursions is deciding where the included tour is worth it -- first time, looking to get oriented -- and when it might be worth more to shell out for an excursion out of town or to a special location like a winery. If an included tour doesn't meet your expectations, it's reasonable to offer constructive criticism -- comment cards are handed out on every tour to help the shore ex office improve their offerings -- but at the end of the day, it was free. Many such tours are only half-day affairs, so it still leaves time to explore on your own the things you didn't quite get to on the included tour.

~Brittany Chrusciel, Associate Editor, Cruise Critic

Edited by Brittany C

I also did the free tour in Toulon, and I wasn't impressed. Our guide was knowledgeable, but there just isn't much to see, unless, as Erica mentioned, you're a fan of forts and maritime pursuits. There was also no free time built in, meaning I had to walk back into town at the end of the tour when I decided I wanted to explore further.

However, I also took the included tour in Monaco, which I found to be excellent. Our guide was fantastic, the sights were interesting, and there was enough free time built in to allow us to poke around on our own without having to backtrack. The only minor niggle I had with this excursion was that two or three groups for the same tour left the port around the same time, meaning there were backups in certain places along the way. It also caused some initial problems with my Vox box; for the first 10 minutes of the tour, I was picking up the voice of another guide.

Included excursions can vary greatly on Viking, and many depend on the guide. I had the same experience in Toulon -- it was small enough to navigate on my own, but I didn't know that until I was led straight into town by our guide. What would've been beneficial on the tour, was to gather context about the city and the area, or access to certain churches or buildings, but there was none offered on my specific tour; the guide seemed rushed. Also, the descriptions in the brochure could be better. Toulon is rooted in military history, but this was the bulk of the tour -- lists of tankers and aircraft carriers that made me glaze over. Despite the exceptional value, knowing what to expect on an included excursion can help reduce disgruntled passengers who feel that most of the day was spent on the bus and not the sights, or being lectured to without free time, etc.

While Rome has exponentially more to offer as a city, the guide was also way more knowledgeable about the sites, sensitive to allowing free time at various stops and for lunch, and more congenial to the needs of the group across an all-day tour. To compare the value, the included Rome tour offered the bus transfer from the port of Livorno, over an hour away to Rome, stops at the Colosseum, Pantheon, Trevi Fountain, and even Vatican City. She offered suggestions for places to eat, the best gelato and more.

The knack with excursions is deciding where the included tour is worth it -- first time, looking to get oriented -- and when it might be worth more to shell out for an excursion out of town or to a special location like a winery. If an included tour doesn't meet your expectations, it's reasonable to offer constructive criticism -- comment cards are handed out on every tour to help the shore ex office improve their offerings -- but at the end of the day, it was free. Many such tours are only half-day affairs, so it still leaves time to explore on your own the things you didn't quite get to on the included tour.

~Brittany Chrusciel, Associate Editor, Cruise Critic

Yes, the quality of the free tours on Viking vary from port to port and depend on many factors including the guide. Personally I think the worst ports were Toulon and Naples. Toulon is just a waste. When we were there Communists were demonstrating in the main square. Naples was just full of closed buildings and graffiti and there was a strong police presence. The best tours were Monaco where we had an excellent guide and Split which for me was the highlight of the cruise with another excellent guide. One of the worst tours was a long boat ride around Venice. They were late getting started and loading 200 people on a boat takes a lot of time. The narration was terrible. Yes, the tours are free but I did comment to Viking that I'd rather pay and get something better than some of their free tours. Passenger feedback is very important.

One small note, but the "free" tours aren't really "free" as you paid for them in the cost of the cruise. They are "included," but not "free."

And I agree they vary a lot from port to port, and even within the port from guide to guide.

You made a good point. The tours are included but they are not free.

We did the free tour of Barcelona. As with others, it's as much a tour to show you where to go as it is a history lesson of the city. Indeed, the operator gave us the option to stay in the city, pointing out where the shuttle bus stop was. I thought the guide did a very good job teaching, entertaining, and keeping to a reasonable pace. Of course, Barcelona is full of great locations, so his job was easier than a guide's task in less exciting cities.

Today we did the free (let's not be pedantic) tour in Trapani, Sicily. It consisted of a bus ride to a gondola, which carried us up to the mountain-top town of Erice. The town is okay, the views are phenomenal. Worth every included penny. Our guide was fine, though somewhat fixated on toilet availability. Apparently the paid excursions weren't very tempting; I think half the ship was on the same tour. We could have taken over the town.

• 3 weeks later...
We did the free tour of Barcelona. As with others, it's as much a tour to show you where to go as it is a history lesson of the city. Indeed, the operator gave us the option to stay in the city, pointing out where the shuttle bus stop was. I thought the guide did a very good job teaching, entertaining, and keeping to a reasonable pace. Of course, Barcelona is full of great locations, so his job was easier than a guide's task in less exciting cities.

Today we did the free (let's not be pedantic) tour in Trapani, Sicily. It consisted of a bus ride to a gondola, which carried us up to the mountain-top town of Erice. The town is okay, the views are phenomenal. Worth every included penny. Our guide was fine, though somewhat fixated on toilet availability. Apparently the paid excursions weren't very tempting; I think half the ship was on the same tour. We could have taken over the town.

I am planning our time in Barcelona and have already booked the included Barcelona tour from 9:30 to 12:30.

Would it work for timing, if we booked tickets on line for La Sagrada Familia sometime around noon and just left the Viking tour at a convenient place and made our way to the cathedral and then used the shuttle bus back to the ship?

Re Barcelona - depends on the route your included tour takes. Our bus tour on the maiden cruise went by the Sagrada Familia towards the middle of the tour and only did a slow drive by - not sure it would have been possible to get off. Since then though, I think Viking has changed up this tour. But you'd have to be certain the order of the tour and know that the Sagrada Familia was last.

The other thing I'd want to point out is that the shuttle bus stop is at the Columbus Monument at the harbor end of Los Ramblas. That's a LONG way from Sagrada Familia. I certainly wouldn't want to walk it! I think you'd have to look into public transportation or plan on taking a cab or Uber. You could take that to Columbus Monument and then take the shuttle.

Your timing seems a bit tight to me in any case.

Your other option is to do the optional afternoon Viking Gaudi tour. We did this and quite enjoyed it. It took in the Sagrada Familia as well as Park Guell. That way you don't have to worry about logistics. I'd say we spent about 45 minutes to an hour at the church, so if you wanted more time there, then this wouldn't work.

Hope that helps.

Re Barcelona - depends on the route your included tour takes. Our bus tour on the maiden cruise went by the Sagrada Familia towards the middle of the tour and only did a slow drive by - not sure it would have been possible to get off. Since then though, I think Viking has changed up this tour. But you'd have to be certain the order of the tour and know that the Sagrada Familia was last.

The other thing I'd want to point out is that the shuttle bus stop is at the Columbus Monument at the harbor end of Los Ramblas. That's a LONG way from Sagrada Familia. I certainly wouldn't want to walk it! I think you'd have to look into public transportation or plan on taking a cab or Uber. You could take that to Columbus Monument and then take the shuttle.

Your timing seems a bit tight to me in any case.

Your other option is to do the optional afternoon Viking Gaudi tour. We did this and quite enjoyed it. It took in the Sagrada Familia as well as Park Guell. That way you don't have to worry about logistics. I'd say we spent about 45 minutes to an hour at the church, so if you wanted more time there, then this wouldn't work.

Hope that helps.

Thank you Elizabeth. Your insight and experience are appreciated.

New Plan then since we are arriving a day early in BCN. Our plane lands at 11:40 a.m. We will take the Aerobus to the Hotel Jazz, check in and then head to the Cathedral. I will look at booking on line the tickets for the audio tour ( the web site says there are no Guided tours on that day) which takes 75 minutes around 2:30 p.m. and then the Passion Tower around 3:45. This plan will keep us moving and from going to sleep too early.

Does anyone know if there is a "window" of time for entrance to La Sagrada Familia, or do you "have" to be there at the exact minute of your booking? i.e exactly 2:30???

So then we can enjoy the complimentary BCN Viking tour on Day 2 and get back to the ship well before sailing. Less stress, but we will have gotten the cathedral in as we are not happy with just a drive by.

Another thing I might suggest to do with your now free afternoon after the included Viking tour is to take a stroll along Los Ramblas. You could walk up to the Market (Boquera (sp?)), which as I recall is only a few blocks up the street from the Columbus Monument and is on the left. Or to the right of Los Ramblas is the Baria Gothic area which had an old world atmosphere, a wonderful church and beautiful Cloisters. You only have to walk a short distance and then turn around and go back to the port shuttle stop to get back to the ship. Pick up a map from the Explorer's Desk before you get off for your included tour. We were in Barcelona for a few days on our trip and I think it was our favorite city - although we were on for the whole 50 days so it's hard to pick just one. But, I'd love to go back and see more of Barcelona! Have fun!