Questions about packing

kthan

It's just six days away(!) and I have some questsions about packing.

First, I need bottled water for my mom and kids. Can I buy a case of water and have it shipped as a check-in luggage? Or, do I need to put it into a (brown) box to hide what it is?

Second, would you prefer to pack some soda/beer/wine in check-in luggage, or put them into your hand-carry luggage?

By the way, can I hand carry the luggage without checking-in?

Third, I found that I need a outlet extension if I need to use more than two outlet at the same time (or simply I need more outlets), right?

Other than those, what do I need to bring (other than usual items for packing? I will bring our own shampoo/conditioner, steamer, etc. How about hair dryer?

I can only answer 2 of your questions...

the hair dryers in the cabins (located in the main room and not the bathroom) are okay. If you have thick hair it might take awhile. You should know you have to hold the "on" bottom down the whole time to keep it going. Duck tape works well for this task.

I heard that you can bring water onboard and then empty out the frig (with the help of you rcabin steward) and put your own in it. I wish we had done this on our last cruise. Great idea!

Oh I forgot, we brought an extension cord and used it continuely. It was wonderful for curling irons, digital cameras, recorders, walkie talkies, etc... I say, absolutely, take it! Heck, take two.

just a bit of advice. We brought wine and water and put it in our checked luggage. My husbands suitcase was locked and nothing was ever tampered with. And we also rolled on a portable cooler with wine in it and water. Had no problems with going thru the xray machines or bringing it on the ship. No one said a word. We then had the steward fill it with ice everyday because the mini fridge was only room temperature.

As for the power outlets, a power strip is a necessity. You know, the surge protecters with several plugs. Between all the 'hair' stuff and chargers to cameras, etc. I always make sure this is the first thing in my bag.

The only water I take is the water we will drink while flying..........I do pack two or four empty bottles (less weight) in the suitcases. You can fill them with the ship's water.no need to take cases of water!;)

There is shampoo, conditioner and all that in the bathroom; it will be replaced as used.

Take a highlithter pen so you remember what activities you want to do the next day...............the list in the "paper" the night before might be quite long.

Take a travel clock.

Take hand sanitizer.

HAVE FUN!!:)

One of my family member have psudo-allergic to tap water. Also, I think drinking bottled water (or at least the ship's water) would be better (so a lot cheaper than buy there) at the ports. As long as I can bring-in, I prefer to bring a case.

Believe me, you don't want to use the shampoo/conditioner on the ship. I highly suggest bringing you're own. The shampoo/conditioner they provide on the ship makes you're hair come out looking like straw, very stringy and not at all pretty, even if you straighten it in the end. I learned this the hard way a few cruises a go and wound up wearing my hair up most of the trip. Now my own shampoo/conditioner is a must have!

Have fun!:)

Just back from the extremely short 4 day on the rapsody. The water on the ship is great, I'm very picky and usually only drink bottled water, the water on board was awesome. My daughter actually drank it instead of soda. They also have ample lemonade, tea and juices so think really hard about whether you need a soda card or not. I did not have a problem with power outlets as there are two right by the mirror. I also did not notice any shampoo or conditioner in our cabin. Cat D1 but did have soap? in the shower. I brought all my own toiletries. Have a great trip. Jill:)

Also, unless you plan on arriving late, your stateroom will probably not be ready until 1pm, you will have to haul around ehatever luggage you carry on.

I'm a light packer, but I always pack my own hair dryer, I guess I'm picky, but I've never been happy with a hotel or ships' dryer.

Also have to agree with taking your own shampoo and conditioner, the stuff they have is pretty nasty. It works OK as hand soap, though.

We've taken along a multiple receptacle for electronics, but never an extension cord. We only need our cameras recharged and we do that over night.

Have a wonderful cruise (the onboard water is fine and I'm a bottled water drinker, too!).

Since it is my first time cruise, I do not know how to board with my "hand carry" luggage. I found another thread that there is virtually no space to bring my luggage at a bus (to the ship). If this is true, how can I handle the "hand carry" luggages?

Isn't the check-in process similar to airport (check-in the luggages with cruise attendant and get a sea pass card. Then, fowarded to a bus with my "hand carry")? Or, just hand the check-in luggages over to a porter before going thru security/immigration? I am not quite sure how proceed on-board process for cruise.

Since it is my first time cruise, I do not know how to board with my "hand carry" luggage. I found another thread that there is virtually no space to bring my luggage at a bus (to the ship). If this is true, how can I handle the "hand carry" luggages?

Isn't the check-in process similar to airport (check-in the luggages with cruise attendant and get a sea pass card. Then, fowarded to a bus with my "hand carry")? Or, just hand the check-in luggages over to a porter before going thru security/immigration? I am not quite sure how proceed on-board process for cruise.

If you're flying in, there will be an RCI rep at the airport. From my experience, the busses were "Greyhound" type where the luggage is stored underneath - except for your carry on. Pack valuables & anything you might need the first few hours on board in your carry on as it can take quite a while for your luggage to be delivered.

At the pier, you will hand your large luggage to the dock worker (probably need to tip) that will load it in a big bin. From there you will go inside with your carry on that will go through the x-ray machine (like at the airport). From there you will check in & they will tell you where to go next. Probably to get your picture taken for sail & sign card - then for your welcome aboard photo (I always look wonderful after taking the red-eye).

Have a great time & don't worry. They'll take good care of you.

Archived