DIY advice please....Fairbanks - Things to do...

I posted this on our roll call, but then found this forum. I think this is a better suited forum than the roll call.

Below are the plans I have so far come up with, based on research. I have been to Alaska and realize that things are dependent on weather. I just wanted to have a "guide" to follow. We are looking to do a DIY land tour after the cruise.

For those who has BTDT, would love any suggestions/feedback from you.

Background: We are an active family of 3. Our daughter will be 6 by time of the cruise. One of our annual cruises are typically in May/June to celebrate our daughter’s April birthday. We will have 2 suitcases and backpacks. Well, that’s the plan. We will be doing laundry before, during and after the cruise. I believe Elite status gets us one free bag of laundry (so that would be 3 bags for us).

Pre-Cruise

May 25 - 27: Arrive in Vancouver (YVR) on 5/25. I am probably going to book a stay at Hotel le Soeil or a condo in West End. With our young daughter, those on the roll call suggests not staying in Gastown or anywhere near there....and I will heed those advices.

Telus World of Science is on the list of things to see. We would love any suggestions on restaurants and/or things to do/see.

Cruise These are things we are thinking of doing...of course only one per port.

May 27: Embarkation Day

May 28: Sea Day – Cruise Inside Passage

May 29: Ketchikan

• Hiking: Rainbird Trail, Deer Mountain Trail

• Creek Street

• Kayaking

May 30: Icy Strait

• Walk around

May 31: Juneau

• Mendenhall Glacier – I hiked it back in 2008. This is dependent on weather. If we take our DD (6 year old) we will rent a car and explore. If it is just DH, me and cousin, we will probably do glacier trek.

June 1: Skagway

• Rent a car and explore the Yukon trail or go to Emerald Lake

June 2: Cruise Hubbard Glacier – Is this a sea day?

June 3: Disembarkation

Post-Cruise

Jun 3 -5: Seward to Anchorage

• Rent a car (which is outrageously high) and see Kenai Fjord then take the train to Anchorage. One passenger has a return flight on Saturday June 4

• Rent a car (which is outrageously high) and see Kenai Fjord then drive to Anchorage. One passenger has a return flight on Saturday June 4

• Whittier Glacier Viewing Boats

• Wasilla

• Redoubt Bay - bear viewing

• Tony Knowles Coastal Trail

• Cook Inlet

• Prince William Sound – is this worth the trip?

Jun 5 - 8: Anchorage to Denali

• Still need research and suggestions. Don't know what to do in Anchorage or Denali at this time.

We are booked at the Princess lodge...but may change to a condo type accommodations if we can find one. We like having a mini fridge in the room so our daughter can have milk, etc when she wants.

Jun 8 – 11: Denali to Fairbanks

• Running Reindeer

• Arctic Circle – is this worth the trip?

• Still need research and suggestions

Which port or city is best to do a whale watching excursion?

Is Fairbanks worth the trip? Or should we go another town and then head back to Anchorage? I haven't booked our return flight yet.

Fairbanks require 2 layovers whereas Anchorage is only one stop. I am willing to deal with the 2 layoovers if it is worth the trip.

Appreciate any suggestions!

• 4 weeks later...

Your trip sounds fantastic. We toured Alaska by rail and ship in 2008 so hope the things I suggest are still running. We spent 2 days in Fairbanks. We wanted to see Sandhill Cranes, did that by going to Creamery(?) nature reserve. Took a taxi to the museum village with an old paddle steamer set up there. It is a fantastic place to look round with displays on life in Alaska during the gold rush. For an extra few dollars we went in to the Cinema Display which has a rotating seat arrangement whereby you are slowly revolved around the room seeing each picture in turn as the commentary goes on. We loved that, but it may be a bit staid for a 6 year old.

In Anchorage we spent a fun afternoon at the Iditerod dog sled show. Great for kids and you get to pet the dogs after. We walked the trail to the earthquake park but it wasn't that great. The museum in Anchorage is terrific, it may even be free.

In Denali we took a bus ride to a lodge within Denali national park. We were lucky and got terrific views of moose, deer, bears and the top of Denali. Think we organised that thru our hotel. It was a long day, but worth it.

If you need names of hotels we used please stick a message on and I will look into my holiday diary for you, I am just writing these things down from memory.

Have a brilliant time!