DCL Veranda or Vista Family harbor suite

Disalvod

My wife, myself, and 3 daughters (6,4,3) are considering the family harbor suite on vista. Only hesitation is it is almost identical price for DCL veranda and we have always wanted to sail DCL. We just came off NCL escape and loved it, but wished there was a bit more kids amenities for our situation (hence the family suite/dcl thought).

We have sailed carnival without kids (freedom) and had a great time.

My two questions are

1. does anyone have experience on both lines with young children to lend some perspective?

2. We live in FL and love to go to disney often... and the carnival itnerary and accommodations look amazing ... simply put- Vista suite or DCL veranda?

My wife, myself, and 3 daughters (6,4,3) are considering the family harbor suite on vista. Only hesitation is it is almost identical price for DCL veranda and we have always wanted to sail DCL. We just came off NCL escape and loved it, but wished there was a bit more kids amenities for our situation (hence the family suite/dcl thought).

We have sailed carnival without kids (freedom) and had a great time.

My two questions are

1. does anyone have experience on both lines with young children to lend some perspective?

2. We live in FL and love to go to disney often... and the carnival itnerary and accommodations look amazing ... simply put- Vista suite or DCL veranda?

The Carnival Vista is a brand new ship that hasn't even been launched yet. It's still being built.

There is no way for anyone to know exactly what kid amenities it will have and how they are handled yet.

Camp Carnival has some great reviews.

You say its almost identically priced to DCL but what you didn't say was which ship? Magic, Wonder, Dream or Fantasy?

Even if someone has cruised on Carnival and DCL, if they have cruised on a CCL Fantasy, Destiny, Spirit, Conquest or Dream class ship, how could you compare that to a DCL Magic or Dream class ship without the Vista class being in service and people having experienced it? It isn't a comparison because the Vista doesn't have anyone to say if it is good or not?

If you love the idea of the Vista, and it certainly seems like Carnival are heading in the right direction with their ships and service, I would go for that.

They have published a lot of information about the Vista to garner interest, and she will be a fine ship, and best of the fleet for Carnival in terms of amenities, and decor.

I think the Vista will live up to your expectations and provide you with a great cruise experience.

As long as you aren't cruising right after she launches!

Give her 6 months of so to settle down and the crew to get the kinks and niggles out of the system and into a rhythm.

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

Thank you for the responses. Good point on clarifying which DCL ship... our choices are fantasy or magic. Both are similar price for the time we are looking at.

Yes, the Vista is new (and the room category is new also) my questions are really about CCL with young families and also if others have compared experiences with suites on CCL v. balcony on DCL fantasy or similar.

For us, we really frequent disney world and enjoy the level of service and experience which we hear translates to their cruises very well. The reason we have not gone prior on DCL has been price. We have been on many lines prior to kids, not exclusive to one. DCL has always been priced at a premium to us. Now that we are in the market for 5 people in a room, DCL and suites on other lines makes a lot more sense.

On the Magic, you would need at least a cat 4 in order to sleep 5 people in a room. This is a pricey category when compared to a "normal" balcony. On the Fantasy, there are cabins that are oceanview but sleep 5--this could be a money saving option. In general, the Fantasy is more costly than the Magic (newer, more bells and whistles). However, your kids are not at an age where the electronic "wow" factor would be a big deal. They would be amazed and delighted by either ship.

If your youngest still takes naps, a balcony is wonderful. Mom can enjoy the balcony while the little one sleeps. Honestly, with napping kids, I consider a balcony almost an essential.

Just my 2cents...I looked into a family room that sleeps 5 on the Carnival Vista, but I decided against it because the layout of the beds... I can't recall exactly, but I believe there was something about the way the beds are laid out that made me not book. I think it was because some of the beds came down over the "adult" bed and I didn't want to have one of my kids' beds right over mine. But I could be wrong, or thinking of a different class of room on the Vista. Also, I found it hard to find the square footage of the Carnival Vista rooms to compare the size.

Hi, I would go for the Carnival Vista. I have two children 10, & 6. We took them on the DCL Dream when they were 7 & 3. They fell in love with cruising and have been asking to go back ever since. Unfortunately we can' afford to take them back on DCL again. (We were able to snag a great Florida resident rate for that cruise).

We are taking them on Carnival Glory for spring break. I have been on Carnival Breeze sans kids, but I know my kids would have loved that ship. And the Vista is going to be better than the Breeze.