Cell Phone ?

To prevent email or other automatic tasks from using data when out of country, I have my phone's data plan set to "off when roaming". This works for me as well as the other people in my office. Also keep in mind with texts and phone calls, you normally don't get charged for incoming, only if you send/answer (but check with your cell service provider to be sure).

Unless you are really interested in finding out what is going on, airplane mode is the best choice... Or just save the battery and turn it off. The only thing I would use my cell for is checking the time, so DW bought me a watch to wear when on vacation so I can "leave that damn thing in the room".

Short answer: Yes. Then you just can turn on/off WIFI independently if you want to get access to get emails/surf the web. Of course text messages wont work over wifi.

Extended answer: However if you want to be doubly safe, and have a phone that has a SIM card, just pull the SIM card when you get on the ship. This way you are 100% assured that you can't get charged. If possible this is better since sometimes I've accidently come out of airplane mode before, and this solution prevents any charges if it happens.

Edited by momo2000