Dengue Fever ?

hapabento

Hi, Has anyone recently gone on a tour on the Big Island? Any warnings about this recent breakout? I'm planning on booking a Hawaii cruise, but worried. If you've recently been there, any warnings from the cruise lines? Thank you.

Thanks. After further research, sounds like officials have stepped up their efforts.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/dengue-fever-prompts-hawaii-campground-trail-road-closures-36327566

There's no treatment for dengue fever, yikes. Maybe we won't leave the ship at that port.

You'll have to make your own decision based on your health history. I guess if I had a severely weakened immune system or something of that nature I might do the same, but for otherwise healthy people, to me the risk seems very minimal unless you are hiking out in the rainforest.

In the very worst case scenario in which you are bitten by a mosquito which is infected by dengue, and all of them are not, the infection is often very mild and is often mistaken for the flu or other viral illness. Headache, fever, muscle pain. Not a walk in the park, but unless you develop some severe complications, hardly life threatening for most of us. So I would put it into context, how many visitors to Hawaii each year, and how many of those visitors actually have gotten it? I would guess the people who are most affected, and infected, are those who live there 24/7 and have a much greater exposure than those of us who visit a few days, or even a few daylight hours if we are cruising.

I think Dengue is in the same family as the West Nile virus which is mosquito borne in probably a big part of the US. Doesn't stop anyone I know from going out in their backyards, and we have hordes of mosquitos at sunset. When we were in Hilo, we went to Volcano National Park, probably not prime mosquito habitat. In Kailua-Kona we were out in a catamoran all day. Extremely low risk, and if the virus is still around on our cruise to Hawaii in March, I'll maybe pack some repellant, but I really do not expect to see a single mosquito.

As well as the 21 tourists, the total number of infections reported is only just over 200. The main outbreak is south Kona and I have no concerns as there are plenty of other things to do which do not go to that region.

Our cruise stops on both sides of the island, both Hilo and Kailua-Kona, so we will soon be in the area. But 200 cases out of a population of roughly 37,000 does not sound like a lot to me, and add in how many thousand tourists annually on land vacations and several thousand more every week on cruise ships, and what are the odds, really. 200 out of all those people. I think we will be just fine.

I live in Kona. To put it in perspective, we've had less than 250 confirmed cases island-wide since the outbreak began. We had 120,000 arrivals of passengers to the Big Island in the month of December alone. The biggest risk to tourists in Hawaii comes from sun overexposure, swimming in unsafe conditions, or not using crosswalks after checking both ways for cars.

On the Kona side, the state has closed access to state lands near Milolii and Honomalino Bay, which were "hotspots" for the mosquito-borne virus. On a cruise ship stop, these are not very likely practical places for you to visit... too far from port.

More recently, the Hawaii Department of Land and Natural Resources closed the Muliwai hiking trail on the far cliff side of Waipio Valley and its Waimanu Valley campground. These are beautiful spots on the Hilo side, but again, it's unlikely that you were planning a 12 hour hike or overnight camping trip.

The North Kona district, where the port/pier is located in Kailua-Kona and South Kohala, the most commonly visited areas, are very safe (because they get much less rain, and mosquitoes need fresh, standing water to breed). Also, whale watching, snorkeling boat excursions, and the like are safe, because mosquitoes don't range over salt water looking for hosts to feed from.

So use common sense, avoid the closed areas, and if you are planning to hike inland or visit south Kona, cover up and use DEET (contrary to news reports, you can find plenty of OFF! in our shops and drug stores.)

Admittedly, the media have sensationalized the outbreak, which is a public health concern because dengue outbreaks are few and far between in the islands, but if I were to fall prey to the hype, I'd never visit the mainland lest I be gunned down, killed by a tornado, frozen in snowmaggedon, or stampeded by people with powerball fever.

Edited by coyboy1971

I live in Kona. To put it in perspective, we've had less than 250 confirmed cases island-wide since the outbreak began. We had 120,000 arrivals of passengers to the Big Island in the month of December alone. The biggest risk to tourists in Hawaii comes from sun overexposure, swimming in unsafe conditions, or not using crosswalks after checking both ways for cars.

On the Kona side, the state has closed access to state lands near Milolii and Honomalino Bay, which were "hotspots" for the mosquito-borne virus. On a cruise ship stop, these are not very likely practical places for you to visit... too far from port.

More recently, the Hawaii Department of Land and Natural Resources closed the Muliwai hiking trail on the far cliff side of Waipio Valley and its Waimanu Valley campground. These are beautiful spots on the Hilo side, but again, it's unlikely that you were planning a 12 hour hike or overnight camping trip.

The North Kona district, where the port/pier is located in Kailua-Kona and South Kohala, the most commonly visited areas, are very safe (because they get much less rain, and mosquitoes need fresh, standing water to breed). Also, whale watching, snorkeling boat excursions, and the like are safe, because mosquitoes don't range over salt water looking for hosts to feed from.

So use common sense, avoid the closed areas, and if you are planning to hike inland or visit south Kona, cover up and use DEET (contrary to news reports, you can find plenty of OFF! in our shops and drug stores.)

Admittedly, the media have sensationalized the outbreak, which is a public health concern because dengue outbreaks are few and far between in the islands, but if I were to fall prey to the hype, I'd never visit the mainland lest I be gunned down, killed by a tornado, frozen in snowmaggedon, or stampeded by people with powerball fever.

Thanks for the common sense from someone who lives there. Your last paragraph made me smile. Our media certainly know how to hype things up and get us to worrying about getting Dengue in Hawaii, right before we light up a cigarette, get in the car and drive down the expressway without a seatbelt at 80 mph. Don't forget to swing through the drive up window and get a burger with super sized fries and cola to eat in the car on the way. Ok, just joking. Lol. But we do always seem to worry too much about the wrong things. As for me, I would never vacation, much less live in California, lest I fall into the sea during the next big earthquake. How do those California people sleep at night?;)

Edited by punkincc

Thanks for the common sense from someone who lives there. Your last paragraph made me smile. Our media certainly know how to hype things up and get us to worrying about getting Dengue in Hawaii, right before we light up a cigarette, get in the car and drive down the expressway without a seatbelt at 80 mph. Don't forget to swing through the drive up window and get a burger with super sized fries and cola to eat in the car on the way. Ok, just joking. Lol. But we do always seem to worry too much about the wrong things. As for me, I would never vacation, much less live in California, lest I fall into the sea during the next big earthquake. How do those California people sleep at night?;)

We sleep quite well.. As there is no way to know one is coming, there is no reason to worry any particular night. Unlike a tornado, which one can be concerned about because the TV tells you to worry.;)

We sleep quite well.. As there is no way to know one is coming, there is no reason to worry any particular night. Unlike a tornado, which one can be concerned about because the TV tells you to worry.;)

Yes, I know, just pointing how how people can react to the hype about California and the potential "big one" while conveniently ignoring the fact that here in Indiana we live near one one of the most deadly faults, the New Madrid, not nearly as hyped, which in the early 1800s made the Mississippi River run backwards and I believe was felt as far away as Washington DC. Only reason it was not catastrophic was that, well, it was 1800. Potentially, we are perhaps at even greater risk than you, but I'm sure we both sleep well at night.;).

Here on the Hilo side we are very mindful of the dengue outbreak. There are several people locally to me that have been affected. We do not live in an area where there is usually a mosquito problem because of the almost constant trade winds. But, the early morning and hours around dusk are when we will most likely see them. If we have any outdoor activities that will keep us outside at those times, or other times of the day for extended periods, we spray ourselves and our clothing. There are several unscented, non-greasy sprays that feel and work great.

We hosted a big Christmas open house party which took place mainly on our outdoor lanai. We strategically placed cans of bug spray all around the party for guests to use if they so desired. It was a lovely evening and no mosquitos attended the party that I could see.

• 2 weeks later...