Low CDN Dollar and do you still cruise

NOSaints1

With the low dollar and costing more to cruise, how many are still cruising and how many are staying home till the US dollar falls against the CDN dollar, and what's causing this? Any advice on what your doing to not spend as much in US dollars and can you book all of your packages in CDN dollars.

With the low dollar and costing more to cruise, how many are still cruising and how many are staying home till the US dollar falls against the CDN dollar, and what's causing this? Any advice on what your doing to not spend as much in US dollars and can you book all of your packages in CDN dollars.

What is causing the Canadian dollar to be weaker than the US dollar?

DCL doesn't offer the ability to pay for anything in Canadian dollars. US dollars only.

ex techie

What is causing the Canadian dollar to be weaker than the US dollar?
Thoughts...

• Canadian bank rate is going lower (to negative!) while the US is looking at raising interest rates to slow their strong economy.
  • The Canadian economy is resourced based with a heavy emphasis on oil in recent years. With a world surplus in oil and new oil providers coming ramping up.... there is less demand for Canadian oil as our oil is harder to extract (tarsands)
  • China is a major consumer of oil and resources when the economy is strong, not so strong in recent weeks. Thus less demand for Canadian resources.
  • when the world economy is declining.... many want the US dollar for security.
  • https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=CADUSD=X&t=5y&l=on&z=l&q=l&c=

Edited by xlxo

Think about it.

Would you go to WDW and try to pay for tickets in Canadian dollars?

DCL don't want the exchange rate to fluctuate not in their favor, so they sell you a cruise in USD. They know what they are charging is what they are getting.

If the Canadian economy declines, then when it comes to paid in full date, that CDN $8000 or US $5000 cruise they sold you might only be worth US $3500 instead to them by the time they exchange it to USD.

ex techie

My strategies...

• I still plan to be cruising as oceanview's are cheaper than road trips with hotels and food.
  • Focusing on cruises that depart and/or return from Cascadia to minimize airline and airport taxes.
  • waiting for seasonal last minute sales and promo's. With a world economic decline.... I wondering if there will be excess cruise capacity in the coming months.

Thoughts...

• Canadian bank rate is going lower (to negative!) while the US is looking at raising interest rates to slow their strong economy.
  • The Canadian economy is resourced based with a heavy emphasis on oil in recent years. With a world surplus in oil and new oil providers coming ramping up.... there is less demand for Canadian oil as our oil is harder to extract (tarsands)
  • China is a major consumer of oil and resources when the economy is strong, not so strong in recent weeks. Thus less demand for Canadian resources.
  • when the world economy is declining.... many want the US dollar for security.
  • https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=CADUSD=X&t=5y&l=on&z=l&q=l&c=

I agree xlxo.

ex techie

I see you've posted the same question on a couple of different lines, and even posted

NOSaints1

So what's causing this low dollar? Is it the damn Liberals?

I think my discussion with you is very much over.

Save up, hope the Canadian economy picks up, and then book a cruise you can afford.

ex techie

I have seen a lot of Canadians on this board who have already booked/deposited on cruises and are paying in full early, as they are afraid the $Cdn will decline further. They are also pre-paying gratuities, buying drink packages, etc., in order to minimize future onboard charges.

When we go to Europe, we try to buy Euro ahead of time when it is low, then hold the cash before traveling. Same idea.

We booked direct with DCL in the UK, paying a deposit and fixing the total, in GBP, at the point of booking. We did this specifically to avoid a falling GBP, saving what would have been around $250 USD.

We did consider a US TA but they were not competitive given the likely rate drop.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Many cruise lines set rates in Canadian dollars: Cunard, Holland America and Princess are three examples. Holland America recently raised their Canadian dollar rates on new bookings but it is still a good deal for Canadians. The best deal is Cunard. They have not made any adjustment in the rates since the Can. $ started its huge decline. Canadian passengers who must book in US $ are the ones who are suffering the most. The current bank rate of exchange is almost $1.50 Can.

For our cruise this autumn we will be able to limit our US $ by taking the train (or plane) from Toronto to Quebec, a Cunard transfer (booked in Can. $) from Brooklyn to the airport, and flying home on one of the Canadian airlines. Our only US $ expenses will be in settlement of the on-board account.

Next year may be a different matter, however:mad:.