Driver vs. Guide: Is there a difference in the Med?

Hi everyone,

I've been trying to figure out who to choose for private tours at various ports in the Med. for an upcoming cruise. I'm looking at Limo In Rome, Driver In Rome, and the various others.

Are these that I see so often recommended here, drivers or guides? Do they drop you off at the various museums, etc. and wait for you outside, or do they actually go in with you and tour you around inside? Just cruious as this may make a difference in our decision of who we choose.

If there is a difference, I assume that would be reflected in their price?

Thank you for your help!

Carole

For clarification: I guess what I meant to say is... are any of the drivers that are often recommended here, ALSO tour guides? If not, do you recommend hiring separate tour guides as well? It seems like people often hire separate tour guides (e.g., for the Vatican when in Rome, or for Pompeii when on the Amalfi Coast)... but I'm wondering if some of these drivers also serve as tour guides?

We're trying to get the best value for our $$, and don't want to hire drivers and guides, if drivers are sufficient.

Thanks!

There is a difference. Drivers are not always licensed as Guides and therefore cannot provide tours of the museums etc. I know one of the female drivers is also licensed as a guide but can't remember who it is.

I used driver in rome and seesorrento last week and the drivers gave us a history lesson as we went along, dropped us in front of the sites and arranged to meet us when we came out, pointed out things of interest etc. We did have them arrange private guides for both Vatican Museum and Pompeii.

Frances

Archived