What time for Stonehenge tickets

sjdnv2088

Hi we are planning to rent a car after our cruise in Southampton. Plan to visit Salisbury. Stonehenge and Windsor. Before dropping off the car at Heathrow. My question is what time should we book our tickets for Stonehenge. Would like to pickup the car at 9 am and have a nice leisurely day exploring the countryside. Thanks

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

I think your timing to see everything in one day might be a little ambitious. We rented a car in London and did the reverse where we drove London to Stonehenge and then boarded the ship in Southampton. Check out a recap of our daytrip here to give you a better idea of distance and time.

I didn't write about Windsor because we did not go on this trip, but plan on at least 2.5 hours to tour the house and the grounds minimum. If you have to choose between things, I liked Windsor best of all.

Thanks for the great info we are spending the night at the airport and flying home the next afternoon so not too much time pressure i hope. I wish we had longer but unfortunately work commitments got in the way.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Last admission to the Castle is 3pm, so by the time you disembark, pick up a car and visit Salisbury (The cathedral warrants at least an hour and a half), you don't really have all that much time.

I would skip the Stonehenge visit but plan to drive past it on the A303. You could visit the stone circle at Avebury http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/avebury and maybe have lunch at the pub there, before driving past Stonehenge on your way to Windsor. The castle does not have its own car park so you will have to use a public park in Windsor. The one on River Street is the nearest. Note that you should book tickets for Windsor Castle in advance https://www.royalcollection.org.uk/visit/windsorcastle/about

I would stay in Windsor for a while as it is an interesting town with some nice places for dinner before heading to the blandness of a Heathrow hotel for the night.

Edited by Bob++

I'm inclined to agree with Mindershire.

But it can be done.

However weekday traffic will slow down the early part of your day, and if it's a sunday Salisbury cathedral's noon opening time will foul up your plans.

To make the best of the time............

Most rental depots open at 8am, and with unassisted disembarkation you can be off the ship & into a taxi for the short hop to the depot by opening time, and on the road by 8.30. All the major players have depots just a short taxi ride from the cruise terminal -- with the exception of Avis, whose depot out at Southampton airport won't suit your tight schedule.

If this is monday-to-friday, you're likely to hit traffic. The drive to Salisbury is usually about 45 minutes, but Monday to Friday more like 75 minutes at that time of day - particularly by the direct GPS route, the A36.

So set your GPS for Downton - this will take you across a corner of the New Forest and into Salisbury on the quieter A338. This route is usually mebbe ten minutes longer, but saves at least that in traffic and is much more scenic.

Now set your GPS for Mill Stream Approach, Salisbury.

If you set the GPS for "shortest route" it will take you past the Cathedral Close & perhaps an empty parking space. Mill Stream Approach is off Castle Street, & leads to a huge parking lot. From here it's 10 - 15 minute walk thro the historic centre to Salisbury Cathedral.

Salisbury cathedral needs a bare hour, but if all goes to plan (which it probably won't :p) you'll have 90 minutes, excluding the time to park & walk.

Salisbury to Stonehenge visitor centre takes 15 to 20 minutes.

I suggest the 11.30 to 12.00 slot for Stonehenge, or possibly 12.00 to 12.30.

Salisbury is en-route from Southampton to Stonehenge - If you're fouled-up prior to Stonehenge you'll have to shorten or abandon your visit to Salisbury.

Stonehenge needs a bare hour, 90 minutes is better. But that means you'll be on your way to Windsor before 1.30pm. Set your GPS to River Street, Windsor, the nearest parking lot to the castle. If it's full, there's one in nearby Riverside Walk.

Because of time constraints you have no option but to take the fast route to Windsor, the A303 & M3 then the back roads from junction 4 of the M3, past Ascot racecourse.

Journey time about 1hr 20.

Theoretically you'll be walking into the castle before 3pm. Last admission 4pm, the castle closes at 5.15pm.

JB :)

Edited to add, re Bob's post:

I've assumed the trip to be sometime March to October, when last admission to Windsor Castle is 4pm, not 3pm.

Altho Windsor will be pretty dead by 5.15pm, I agree it's worth wandering the town. And mebbe stop off for a pint. Or even dinner.

Edited by John Bull