Fire chat on ncl jade

swymnwymn1

If I understand correctly the ncl iconcierge app won't work on the jade. Has anyone used the fire chat app with success on the jade to text other people without wifi? Trying to figure out if it may work for our cruise this March. Supposedly it works via a Bluetooth connection.

Thanks!

Jade will not support iConcierge until after its refurbishment next year, I'm guessing.

In theory FireChat will work without using the ship's Wifi or Internet connection, but it depends on having a lot of devices to form a mesh. If it's just the people in your cabin, that's not much of a mesh and you will have to stay within Bluetooth range of each other (the distance depends on your devices, and I guess the ship's structure can affect this negatively). You won't be able to message one another across the ship.

Edited by hawkeyetlse

Any radio waves have troubles with all-steel ship without specifically installed extenders, Bluetooth is designed to be a close distance connection between devices so I doubt that you could maintain proper BT connection even between cabins few doors apart, not to mention even 100m/300ft apart with all that steel in between.

If I understand correctly the ncl iconcierge app won't work on the jade. Has anyone used the fire chat app with success on the jade to text other people without wifi? Trying to figure out if it may work for our cruise this March. Supposedly it works via a Bluetooth connection.

Thanks!

A very recent Jade passenger posted that the iConcierge was available on the Jade, but for some reason that fact wasn't advertised.

ETA: I found the mention -- it is here in a review by poster DrAnna

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2308775&highlight=iconcierge+is+available+on+the+jade

Edited by macandlucy
Updating info

A very recent Jade passenger posted that the iConcierge was available on the Jade, but for some reason that fact wasn't advertised.
That's good to know, thanks! I always wondered why they needed a dry dock to install this software, but maybe it requires a significant amount of downtime, more than they what they can easily do on a typical turn-around day.