I need help!!

thomsoad

I leave LA in 4 days to Ensenada Mexico.

I just NOW found out that I need a passport or a raised birth certificate.

I thought Ensenada was the "free trade" zone.

I have a drivers license, SS card, voter registration card.

I never had a problem going thru the Mexican border with this stuff.

Is there ANYTHING I can do?

Please help!!!

Go to the nearest County Court house and get a birth certicate if you were born in LA. Pay the high fee. Then when you get back get a passport.

You need the Birth Certificate to get on board. Insurance will not cover you because you did not have the right id.

Check with County Records where you were born and see if they can rush you a copy of your birth certificate via FedEx. It will probably cost you a lot of money but that is your only option. The items that you have mentioned do not prove that you are a U.S. citizen, which is why a birth certificate or Passport is required.

Where on earth did you get your cruise tickets? Surely someone or something along the way advised you of what was required. Did you simply ignore the information provided, or presume your own idea was more accurate? You have no choice now than to bite the bullet and call the appropriate records department in PA. Give them payment info (credit card or checking account number) and have them overnight your certificate (allowing time for them to find and process your records). Good luck. Unfortunately, we all learn from our mistakes. Some of the best lessons I have had in life result from something I have done wrong!

Here is the link to the online request....it's really a crapshoot as to whether or not you'll get it in time even with Fedex. I personally doubt it.

http://www.dsf.health.state.pa.us/health/cwp/view.asp?a=168&Q=202184

Are your parents still out in PA? They could go in person and one and Fedex it to you. I do fault your TA if you used one for not making sure you had the right docs.

Good Luck.

"Free trade zone"? I don't understand that. To re-enter the coutry you need proof you are citizen of this country.

well, his cruises goes in and out of Mexico. He's not a Mexican citizen. Also, the other countires one may visit have their own rules. And, it's important to note a country's rules for arriving by sea/air can be different than arriving by foot or car.

I live just north of Phoenix, so I know what the 'free trade zone' is. It allows residents from the US enter Mexico from Yuma or Lukesville (border crossing east of Yuma) to enter Mexico with just US id to vacation in Puerto Penasco (Rocky Point- as we call it.) One has to get Mexican auto insurance as ours is not honored there, but you don't need a birth certificate or passport to come and go. I have been down many times and have never even been stopped at the border. I think it was all set up to encourage more US tourists to go to Arizona's closest beach- at Rocky Point. Only takes about 4 hours to get there. I love it.

Kayla, the passport is internationally the only valid proof of citizenship. I know what you mean about not needing your passport when you cross the border to México, I live in a border state myself (only in the mexican side) and we have a border pass to get to the US, but when going 25 or more miles away from the border we are supposed to ask for permission at the Inmigration office.

When we cruise from the US to México, we must present our passports as well. Otherwise we have to stay on land.

I hope you can get the papers you need and to have a great cruise.

I leave LA in 4 days to Ensenada Mexico.

I just NOW found out that I need a passport or a raised birth certificate.

I thought Ensenada was the "free trade" zone.

I have a drivers license, SS card, voter registration card.

I never had a problem going thru the Mexican border with this stuff.

Is there ANYTHING I can do?

Please help!!!

Just wondering , did you get the Birth Cert yet ?

Cori

• 4 weeks later...

Archived