Confused about 3rd and 4th free

meemers3

I've booked the Pride of America for 5 people. The regular price is $1659 per person which comes out to $8295 without taxes. But with the 3rd and 4th free the first 2 people are booked at $4149 and the 5th person is $499 with the 3rd and 4th at $0, before taxes that's $8797. Can anyone explain to me why it's about $500 more for the free promo than the regular price for everyone? Am I missing something?

What date, what cabin type, and what fee offers did you select?

2 bedroom family suite with large balcony. We got free specialty dining for 1st and 2nd pax. Free pre cruise hotel. $50 credit for excrusions. Free gratuities for 1st and 2nd. September 3rd-10th

Edited by meemers3

I went through this exact thing like a year ago. I called the 800 number and just went around in circles... There is no set price for any room no matter what the "experts" here claim it's an accounting mystery. They give you the 3rd and 4 th free but jack up the first 2 passengers prices. It's crazy. You just have to have a price in your head that you feel is a deal and book it. It seems ncl pricing is the only cruise line that does this. When princess has a 3rd passenger free the first 2 passengers are the same price either way you book it. But not ncl.

Good luck

Mark

I went through this exact thing like a year ago. I called the 800 number and just went around in circles... There is no set price for any room no matter what the "experts" here claim it's an accounting mystery. They give you the 3rd and 4 th free but jack up the first 2 passengers prices. It's crazy. You just have to have a price in your head that you feel is a deal and book it. It seems ncl pricing is the only cruise line that does this. When princess has a 3rd passenger free the first 2 passengers are the same price either way you book it. But not ncl.

Good luck

Mark

Thanks. I tried a similar booking without the 3rd and 4th free deal and I can get the numbers to make sense on that one.

It looks like when NCL does the avg price per person it doesn't take into account the $499 for the fifth person. If you do the booking for 2 people the cost is $8298. When you do the cost for four in that room it's $8298 (which confirms 3rd and 4th are free); but once you add the fifth it throws the cost of that fifth person ($499) into the final cost.

The average price is easily confusing. I remember being completely confused with how Carnival calculated avg price on a KSF deal. I've learned to not pay attention to the avg price detail.

Edited by Kimberlyr22

I've booked the Pride of America for 5 people. The regular price is $1659 per person which comes out to $8295 without taxes. But with the 3rd and 4th free the first 2 people are booked at $4149 and the 5th person is $499 with the 3rd and 4th at $0, before taxes that's $8797. Can anyone explain to me why it's about $500 more for the free promo than the regular price for everyone? Am I missing something?

BTW those "average prices" are 100% irrelevant. The only thing that realy matters is the total price of the cruise for all passengers! :) I do think that the average calculation may still be set for when NC had the true KSF where everyone past the 2nd person was free.

All pricing is based on double occupancy. Any additional people are charged a flat rate (looks like $499 in your case).

Is the cabin is listed on the site as $4147 double occupancy that's $8294 plus $499pp extra. With 3rd and 4th free you only pay the extra for the 5th, leading to $8293.

I don't know when you saw the $8295 number but that could possibly explain it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 bedroom family suite with large balcony. We got free specialty dining for 1st and 2nd pax. Free pre cruise hotel. $50 credit for excrusions. Free gratuities for 1st and 2nd. September 3rd-10th

You do know you can't do the hotel with 5 guests...right? Maybe that is changing the pricing?

Pre-Cruise Hotel Night (Pride of America Cruises only):

Offer is only available when booking primary package CHOICEHAW1NTPRE.

Only available for new FIT bookings

1 night pre hotel offer is for Waikiki Marriott Resort - City View.

In the event that the hotel scheduled to be used in your package is unavailable, for any reason, Norwegian Cruise Line reserves the right to substitute the hotel included in your package with other similar accommodations/services.

1 night pre hotel offer is available on reservations with 4 guests or less.

Transfers from the hotel to the pier are included.

Offer only valid for one night hotel stay. Extension cannot be accommodated through this offer.

You do know you can't do the hotel with 5 guests...right? Maybe that is changing the pricing?

Pre-Cruise Hotel Night (Pride of America Cruises only):

Offer is only available when booking primary package CHOICEHAW1NTPRE.

Only available for new FIT bookings

1 night pre hotel offer is for Waikiki Marriott Resort - City View.

In the event that the hotel scheduled to be used in your package is unavailable, for any reason, Norwegian Cruise Line reserves the right to substitute the hotel included in your package with other similar accommodations/services.

1 night pre hotel offer is available on reservations with 4 guests or less.

Transfers from the hotel to the pier are included.

Offer only valid for one night hotel stay. Extension cannot be accommodated through this offer.

Yeah I saw that. I need to call them about it. The pre-cruise hotel is listed on my vacation summary twice. Not sure what's going on with that.

BTW those "average prices" are 100% irrelevant. The only thing that realy matters is the total price of the cruise for all passengers! :) I do think that the average calculation may still be set for when NC had the true KSF where everyone past the 2nd person was free.

I think we got a pretty good deal either way considering how much a land based vacation would be in Hawaii! Just couldn't wrap my head around the math! We're all very excited to go so we're stuck with it :)

I think we got a pretty good deal either way considering how much a land based vacation would be in Hawaii! Just couldn't wrap my head around the math! We're all very excited to go so we're stuck with it :)

I hope all of you have a good time and enjoy your cruise completely.

It looks like when NCL does the avg price per person it doesn't take into account the $499 for the fifth person. If you do the booking for 2 people the cost is $8298. When you do the cost for four in that room it's $8298 (which confirms 3rd and 4th are free); but once you add the fifth it throws the cost of that fifth person ($499) into the final cost.

The average price is easily confusing. I remember being completely confused with how Carnival calculated avg price on a KSF deal. I've learned to not pay attention to the avg price detail.

This is exactly what's going on. And I think the average price stuff is absolute BS, but NCL does it because it makes the cruise look cheaper and other cruise lines are starting to do it.

As you go through the booking, once you've selected your category, a "View Details" link shows up on the bottom of the right column where the "Total" is. If you click it, it'll give you the exact numbers for each passenger including the free ones.

This is exactly what's going on. And I think the average price stuff is absolute BS, but NCL does it because it makes the cruise look cheaper and other cruise lines are starting to do it.

As you go through the booking, once you've selected your category, a "View Details" link shows up on the bottom of the right column where the "Total" is. If you click it, it'll give you the exact numbers for each passenger including the free ones.

That's what I don't understand about my booking. If the price per person is $1659 than why is the price on the first 2 people booked $4149 per person. 3rd and 4th free than the 5th is $499. Where is the $4149 coming from and how does that make 3rd and 4th free?

It's all very confusing to me!

And I think the average price stuff is absolute BS, but NCL does it because it makes the cruise look cheaper and other cruise lines are starting to do it.

At least Carnival did this already before NCL, NCL is definitely not the first to play with averages.

That's what I don't understand about my booking. If the price per person is $1659 than why is the price on the first 2 people booked $4149 per person. 3rd and 4th free than the 5th is $499. Where is the $4149 coming from and how does that make 3rd and 4th free?

It's all very confusing to me!

Like you've been told already, forget the $1659 completely. That is only a theoretical average price per passenger calculated for marketing purposes only – and on top of that (like Kimberlyr22 said three days ago) it does not take in to account the fare for 5th passenger but still divides the total by 5.

That figure has nothing to do what the actual fare for each passenger is, but it is an average what everyone is theoretically paying when the total is divided between every passenger in the cabin (so with that equation the free passengers are not "free" anymore but are paying their share of the total).

The actual price you are paying (like you've been told on several posts :)) is $4149 each for first two passengers, $0 each for 3rd and 4th and $499 for 5th. Those are the only numbers you need and only ones that matter (also printed on your cruise confirmation).

If you are confused because you are now making a mock booking to check if the prices have raised or dropped, just follow DevCruise's instructions on where you can see the real per passenger fares during the booking process.

Edited by Demonyte

Like you've been told already, forget the $1659 completely. That is only a theoretical average price per passenger calculated for marketing purposes only – and on top of that (like Kimberlyr22 said three days ago) it does not take in to account the fare for 5th passenger but still divides the total by 5.

That figure has nothing to do what the actual fare for each passenger is, but it is an average what everyone is theoretically paying when the total is divided between every passenger in the cabin (so with that equation the free passengers are not "free" anymore but are paying their share of the total).

The actual price you are paying (like you've been told on several posts :)) is $4149 each for first two passengers, $0 each for 3rd and 4th and $499 for 5th. Those are the only numbers you need and only ones that matter (also printed on your cruise confirmation).

If you are confused because you are now making a mock booking to check if the prices have raised or dropped, just follow DevCruise's instructions on where you can see the real per passenger fares during the booking process.

Thanks, i guess.