Ballantyne Pier Info

tinkerme1

I asked about shuttle service/tours after our cruise in June, 2006. This is the reply I received from Vancouver Tourist Board.

Dear Celia,

It is true that obtaining transportation from Ballantyne Pier to downtown can be time consuming at times. One way to avoid this is to arrange for alternative transportation. Here are a few companies that will pick you up from Ballantyne and transport you to downtown:

Vancouver All-Terrain

1.888.754.5601 email:adventures@all-terrain.com

City Centre Shuttle

Another option would be to arrange for a tour that would pick you up at the terminal and then drop you at your hotel after the tour:

Heading North

http://www.headingnorth.com

Living Earth

http://www.le-ecotours.com

West Coast Sightseeing

http://www.vancouversightseeing.com

Landsea Tours

http://www.vancouvertours.com

Also the cruise ship company will often offer transport from the terminal to downtown available for purchase on ship.

I hope you enjoy your cruise and stay in Vancouver.

Cara

Coordinator, Visitor Services

We had time to kill after our cruise this past June (before our flight), so we did the city tour with Living Earth tours and had a great time. The guide was great and it was personalized as it was just our famly in the van. We were given a lot of freedom at each stop to do whatever we wanted. We hadn't planned this, but were able to easily book the tour at the pier when we disembarked. The downside to doing the tour is that at the same time you are dealing with your postcruise depression (plus we were tired from waking up early to see the boat sail under the bridge)! If you have a later flight this beats sitting at the airport for seven hours though.

Erik

I know what you mean about post-cruise depression. :(

I wanted folks to know, who are cruising "to" Ballantyne Pier, that getting a cab, van, or any other transportation into the city is not so easy. I read lots on these boards about the problems of getting transportation, so wrote to the Board of Tourism to get an answer.

I must admit, I would love to just hop onto a tour bus and then have some fun touring before actually going to the hotel. That sounds wonderful! I'll check out your tour company for next year's cruise. Did they just carry your luggage on the tour? Thank you.

I'm trying to decide how to get our group of 11 from the Amtrak station to Ballentyne Pier next June. I checked into the Vancouver All-Terrain and they can take 7 of us (cost approximately $80) and then I am thinking about a taxi for the other 4 (some luggage with the group??). Does anyone know what a taxi costs from Amtrak to Ballentyne?

Tinkerme1- Yes they did carry our luggage for us. The van we were in was an extended Chevy van with lots of storage space in the back. Even though there were only four of us, it easily could have held eight people comfortably. Like I said, we just decided to do this tour on a whim once we got off the ship. We were looking to get transportation back to the airport when a representative from the company approached us with a tour brochure. After mulling it over, we decided it was better than sitting in the airport until our 6pm flight. Obviously other people do the same thing though because we noticed other people from our ship around town, which was kind of funny.

Oh and I still have post cruise depression, but it is always fun looking foward to the next one.

Erik

I'm trying to decide how to get our group of 11 from the Amtrak station to Ballentyne Pier next June. I checked into the Vancouver All-Terrain and they can take 7 of us (cost approximately $80) and then I am thinking about a taxi for the other 4 (some luggage with the group??). Does anyone know what a taxi costs from Amtrak to Ballentyne?

Kylie, I dont know where the Amtrak station is located in relation to the Vancouver International Airport, but I took a taxi this past July from the airport to Ballentyne. 3 pax + luggage an it was $28CAD. About a 30-35 minute trip. If the Amtrak station is nearby the airport the cost will be probably about the same. If the Amtrak station is actually in Vancouver downtown area your cost will be significantly less!

The Amtrak station is about 2.5 - 3 miles from Ballantyne Pier - there are usually a number of taxis awaiting the arrival of the train - the only time getting a taxi is difficult is when there are 3 or more ships at Canada Place - hope this helps and that you have a great cruise next summer. - Probably about $10.00 for the taxi

Cheers

Dennis

Archived